Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.1.0.1015/ v9.0.0.1836)

@jen11 :

All Controllers shown with this name are Intel RAID Controllers! The driver installation script is layed down within the file named iaStorAC.inf and the DeviceID of the related Controller is shown within your Device Manager as being DEV_2822.

It doesn’t matter, whether it is a HDD or an SSD and it doesn’t matter, whether it is a member of a RAID array or not.
Your on-board Intel SATA Controller has been set to "RAID" within the BIOS and only this setting counts during the installation of an Intel RST driver and decides, whether your SATA connected HDDs and SSDs are running in AHCI or in RAiD mode.

@all:
Update of the start post
Changelog:

• new:
    • 64bit Intel RST AHCI/RAID/NVMe drivers v18.30.1.1138 WHQL dated 08/03/2020 for Win10 x64 from v1703 up
    • 64bit Intel RST VMD drivers v18.0.1.1138 WHQL dated 08/03/2020 for Win10 x64 from v1703 up
    • Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v18.0.1.1138.1 dated 08/13/2020 for Win10 x64 from v1703 up
Thanks to Station Drivers for the source package.

Enjoy it!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

(iaStorVD.cat)

@westlake : Thanks for the info, I have seen this new Intel VMD driver on the Station-Drivers page, but the name of this Sub-Forum is "Specific: Intel AHCI/RAID Drivers". As long as the related AHCI/RAID drivers are not available, I will not list them within the start post.
Do you or someone else know anybody, who has a system with an on-board Intel VMD Controller? What sort of storage devices does it support?

I think it is Xeon specific only (and starting whit Skylake).

@MDM :
According to >this< ASUS Support guide only the latest 11th Gen Intel CPUs (“Tiger Lake”) do support the new Intel Volume Management Device (VMD) technology.
Supposedly advantage of the VMD technology: Optimization of the storage devices data processing and decrease of the power consumption (good for notebooks).

@Fernando
The newest VMD, but not the first, see >here<. In fact it is even older and at the base of the X299 VROC technology…

Hello,
I am having trouble while trying to enable Optane HHD acceleration.
I am getting the error code: 0xA0070015, An unknown error occurred while an operation was in progress. This operation could not be completed.

Currently using the Intel RST driver version: 17.8.8.1072 and the EFI BIOS modules: 17.8.3.4687
https://ibb.co/wS8wmbW
https://ibb.co/RNDLhsM

Got 1GB of unallocated space for the Optane run on my HDD.
Thanks for your help.

Unless they changed something Optane is all or nothing, it takes over the entire Optane drive.

17.5.9.1040 is the last version that supports the following device IDs (without modding)

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A102&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A103&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"

Could you consider adding it to the first page?

Note: 17.7.0.1006 is also compatible but is has a older build date.

The total optane storage amount is dedicated one it is enabled but in my case it wont work
I have tried with another driver and the same error code shows up.

Any help?
Thanks

@TigRex:

You can get even the latest original Intel RST drivers working with an Intel 100-Series chipset System (maybe not at its best), if you force the installation by using the "Have Disk" button. So you can test the function and the performance of all Intel RST AHCI/RAID drivers without having to use a mod+signed driver.

I will do it, if I get a proof, that the Intel RST driver v17.5.9.1040 runs better with an Intel 100-Chipset series system than the ones I have recommended >here< after having done a lot of tests with my own Z170 system.
Please keep in mind, that the latest drivers are not automaticly the best (especially not for older systems). This is pariticularly valid for Intel’s RST drivers.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology 18.0.1.1138.2 (>18.0.1.1138.1)

I am confused about the naming of IRST drivers ? At the moment I have IRST 17.8.0.1065. There is a warning on the top of the main application window telling this application will be discontinued. What has been discontinued since the newer IRST version, 17.9.4.1017, is offered on the support page of my motherboard (Asus ROG Maximus X Hero, Z370 chipset) ??? In addition here and also on the Intel download site there is even a newer one 18.0.1.1138.
I have just one PCI NVMe SSD (Samsung SSD 970 Pro) in the PCIe x4 slot, two optical drives and one HDD in SATA ports. I don’t have any Optane memory modules. The OS is Windows 10, 20H2, 19042.630. Everything works well.

I would highly appreciate if someone could explain me the following:

1. What has Intel changed since 17.8.0.1065 when even the name is the same (“Intel Rapid Storage Technology”) ?;
2. Although I do not have Optane memory module, the RST installed “Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extensions” as visible in Programs and Features applet in Control Panel. However, right clicking a folder in Windows explorer reveals no such extension ? Is it due to actually missing Optane memory module ?
3. Is it all right to install the newer versions ? I am asking as there is a warning in red letters here: Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v18.30.1.1138 WHQL/v7.0.0.2286 WHQL), stating that 17.9 series of IRST drivers may overtake the control of “of all M.2/PCIe connected not RAIDed NVMe SSDs”. I do not have any RAID configured;
4. How can I recognize if IRST overtook the control of my NVMe SSD in PCIe x4 slot ?
5. How can I find the RAID ROM version ?

Sorry for many questions.
Best regards.

As far as i know the newer versions released by intel are meant to be installed on newer systems. For example my laptop (gf63 8rd - i7 8gen) won’t support it and the installer also says that the system is not compatible.

Ignore it, don’t touch anything!

@westlake :
Can you please re-upload the latest Intel RST VMD Drivers & Software Set? Your link is not working for me.

@Borko
Here are my answers:
1. Regading the changelog of the different Intel RST development branches you should better ask Intel.
2. I generally do not recommend to install the Intel RST Software, if the on-board Intel SATA Controller is running in AHCI mode.
3. No, the newest Intel RST drivers are not automaticly the best for all systems with an Intel chipset.
4. You can recognize it by checking the function and performance of your NVMe SSD.
5. The easiest way is to let the UBU tool show the Option ROM module version of the latest BIOS, which has been released by the manufacturer for your mainboard.

@Fernando :

Cannot be installed on MSI GF63 8RD - i7-8750h with an intel chipset HM370 - is it supposed to work on desktops only ?

Later edit: winver - 20H2 19042.630

Ignore it, don’t touch anything!

What do you exactly mean ? The warning is just a link for an explanation which I don’t understand. Or you mean I should not install any newer IRST ? Should I uninstall even the existing IRST drivers and software 17.8.0.1065 ?

Could you please explain in more detail what do you mean by "checking the function and performance of my NVMe SSD" . It is under the control of Samsung NVMe driver 3.3.1 and is not listed at all in IRST main window. Only SATA devices are listed there (two optical drives and a HDD). Do you mean benchmarks ?
Yes, the onboard SATA controller is running in AHCI mode, not RAID. If in that case you do not recommend the Intel IRST software at all, would it be better to uninstall the RST software completely as an unnecessary thing ?