Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.1.0.1015/ v9.0.0.1836)

@ Justin52:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Although I don’t understand, why you are using with your old Intel X79 platform (belongs to the 6-Series Chipsets) an Intel RAID driver and EFI RAID module from the v14 development line, which is primarily designed for the upcoming Intel 100-Series Chipsets, I will answer your question.

Yes, this is correct.
The "Standard SATA AHCI Controller", which is listed within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager, has nothing to do with Intel and the update of the RST RAID driver. Its manufacturer is either ASMedia or Marvell, since your mainboard has at least 3 different on-board SATA Controllers. You can check the manufacturer by doing a right click onto the Controller and choosing the options "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs". Intel has the VendorID DEV_8086, ASMedia is VEN_1B21 and Marvell has the VendorID VEN_1B4B.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Ah that makes sense, after checking the vendor it belongs to the Marvell controller. The reason I’m using v14 is because earlier I tried to install “v3.8.1.1006 WHQL” but I kept receiving an error message saying this software is not compatible with my operating system so I ended up flashing the latest OPROM and just used v14 which installed without any issues. Only downside I can see so far is the Intel RST console reports two drives are failed I do have the option to mark them as OK but I figured it was a compatibility issue and haven’t touched any of the settings within the console.

You probably got this message, because your Intel SATA RAID Controller has been set within the BIOS to "RST mode" (= DEV_2822) instead of the regular "RSTe mode" (DEV_2826).
According to my knowledge the Intel RST(e) Drivers & Software Set v12.9.4.1000 in combination with the Intel RAID ROM/EFI RaidDriver v12.9.0.2006 would have been the better choice.

You probably got this message, because your Intel SATA RAID Controller has been set within the BIOS to "RST mode" (= DEV_2822) instead of the regular "RSTe mode" (DEV_2826).
According to my knowledge the Intel RST(e) Drivers & Software Set v12.9.4.1000 in combination with the Intel RAID ROM/EFI RaidDriver v12.9.0.2006 would have been the better choice.

Is there anyway to change the mode from RST 2822 to RSTe 2826? Also which RSTe version should I select "1 - Update to v3.8.0.1029" OR "2 - Update to v4.1.0.1026" ?

It depends on the BIOS of your X79 mainboard. Usually there is a BIOS option to change the Intel SATA Controller from "RSTe" to "RST" mode, but some mainboard manufacturers have prevented the switch.

For X79 Chipset RAID systems running in RSTe mode I would prefer the RSTe v3.8 development branch.

I see those hardware IDs for each of the ATA Channel entries.
Oddly, I tried it again last night (maybe I used the ATA Channel entries the last time, I don’t know), but the ATA Channels are now gone and I have only the Controller entry (after updating the Controller driver to the Intel folder).

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded quoted text removed (to save space)

So everything seems to be fine at least.
Thanks for your updated report.

What exactly is the difference between the two?

Which "two" things do you mean?

Which "two" things do you mean?

Between it displaying the multiple "ATA Channel" entries and just the Controller entry.

Only SATA Controllers, which are running in "IDE" mode, show ATA Channels within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager. That is why the "normal" SATA IDE Controller is named "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Cotroller".
After having switched the SATA Controller to "AHCI" or "RAID" mode, the ATA Channels should disappear from the Device Manager.

Just a data point. On my Z87 system I updated the UEFI driver and ROM to v14.0.0.2234 and the Windows 7 driver to v14.0.0.1143. I have two Samsung 840 pro in raid0 for the system. I started getting system freezes immediately and both my system and boot drive ended up corrupted and I couldn’t boot. I restored the system partition from backup and did a chkdsk on the boot partition and got back up, but in the end, didn’t trust it. I had a few day old image backup so it was no big deal. I am pretty sure I was this combo on my hardware that caused the freezing and disk corruption (note I also had write-back enabled) - first time anything like this happened to me.

I reverted back to UEFI/BIOS driver 14.0.0.2209 and windows driver 13.6.0.1002.

geneo, You are getting the exact same issue I was experiencing with the RST v14.0.0.1143 drivers on my X99 system which is an indication that the 14.x drivers are still not stable on older chipsets and contains bugs.
I have also reverted back on the older 13.x RST drivers for now.

@ geneo:

Thanks for your interesting report.
Within the next days (when I have the needed time) I will test the Intel RAID driver/EFI RaidDriver combo v14.0.0.1143/v14.0.0.2234 with my Z97 RAID0 system.

Well two different platforms suffering the exact same system freezes issues means there is definitely a problem with the latest 14.x drivers when used on on older chipsets while in RAID 0.
I am not sure if the system freezes issues also happens in SATA too on older chipsets. The best way to test for the issue is to install the drivers and then use your system as normal.
The freezes issues doesn’t happen straight away all the time, well not for me anyways. Just do as you normally do by running programs and surf the internet, etc then the system
should freeze within some seconds or minutes of use. I have also done a test by disabling the RST startup application and service and the system freezes still happens so it isn’t
that what is causing it. It would be great if others facing the same issue would also put their report in here.

Hello, I’ve been folowing this forum for quite a long time and decided to register here to give feedback about the 14.0.0.1143 drivers.
On my X99 system, with this rst driver, my HDD doesn’t suspend when in idle. Downgrading solves the problem. I’m not using raid and I don’t have freezes neither corruption issues

@ TigTex:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report.

Off topic:

Please shorten your signature. This will help us to save space. 3-4 lines for a signature are enough and the lines are longer than you may think.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@ all:

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit Intel RST(e) drivers v14.5.0.1059 dated 05/20/2015
  • new: Intel RSTe Drivers & Software Set v14.5.0.1059 dated 05/20/2015

Notes:
  1. The included AHCI/RAID drivers are digitally signed by Intel and usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up.
  2. Only Intel 8-, 9-, X99 and the upcoming 100-Series Chipsets are natively fully supported by these drivers.

Thanks to Pacman for having found and to Station-Drivers for having published the source package.

Have fun with these brandnew Intel AHCI and RAID drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

When you said that Only Intel 8-, 9-, X99 and the upcoming 100-Series Chipsets are natively fully supported by these Intel RST(e) drivers v14.5.0.1059 drivers.
I take they natively support the X99 platform in AHCI and RAID?

Supported are the Intel SATA AHCI Controllers with the DeviceIDs DEV_8D02 and DEV_9D03, but not the Intel SATA RAID Controllers with the DeviceID DEV_2826.
Nevertheless X99 Chipset RAID systems are fully supported, if the user has chosen the "RST mode".