Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.1.0.1015/ v9.0.0.1836)

i tried them in the end, the results where the worst ever (by huge margins), reverted back to the "2nd"

thanks for your help though :slight_smile:

Hi Fernando,
You mention in Intel RST(e) Drivers from v11.5 up and their RST(e) Software about drivers should closely match orom version development string 11.6.0.1702.
Before reading your comments I installed the Dell update for my Intel HM77 chipset sata raid to 12.8.2.1000 from 11.7.4.1001 without uninstalling it first.
I do have the orom version 11.6.0.1702.
Everything seems to work fine, I am using AHCI with msata ssd Samsung 850 evo pro 250gb as my boot drive and a Hitachi 1tb storage drive.
Do you think I will have problems with this newer IRST version now with ACHI or if I ever switch to Raid?

Should I leave it alone, roll back to original 11.7.4.1001 version or update to newest 14.x.x.xxxx version?
Should I go back and uninstall the IRST software then reinstall?

Thanks for all your great information here, g3

@ g3:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

It depends on what you mean with “IRST version”. Is it the version of the Intel RST RAID ROM, which is within the BIOS or the version of the currently runnng Intel RST Software?
1. Inttel RAID ROM:
The version of the Intel RAID ROM doesn’t matter at all as long as you don’t switch the SATA mode of your on-board Intel SATA mode to “RAID” and even if you do that, you will not run into any severe problem.
2. Intel RST Software
It was not a good idea to install another version of the Intel RST Software on top of another one, that means without having uninstalled the previously used version before (has to be done from within the Control Panel’s “Add/remove Programs” option and usually will not touch the currently running Intel RST/RST(e) driver).

This is what I recommend to do:

• Uninstall the “Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology” Software from within the Control Panel, reboot and then either reinstall the currently used Intel RST Drivers+Software Set or another suitable one (example: v13.1.0.1058 WHQL, which is the latest, which fully supports your Intel 7-Series Chiset AHCI system).
  • I do not recommend to install any Intel RST(e) Drivers+Software Set v14.x.x.xxxx, because your Intel 7-Series AHCI system may not be fully supported.
  • Don’t touch the BIOS unless you really are going to switch to an Intel RAID system.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Fernando, thank you so much for your help.
you asked what I meant by “IRST version”, this was update 12.8.2.1000 from Dell labeled
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver Serial-ATA_Driver_69XN6_WN_12.8.2.1000_A04.EXE Release date 17 Dec 2013.

It updated the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers and software from 11.7.4.1001 to 12.8.2.1000.
This is the update I installed without uninstalling the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software first.
The raid option rom (ctrl-I) Intel Rapid Storage Technology version 11.6.0.1702 did not change when I updated the IRST software.

I have made images of my OS so I can go back to before I updated the IRST software.
My plan now is to reinstall original OS image then I will uninstall IRST first, then install IRST v13.1.0.1058 WHQL. What about these newer versions v13.2.4.1000 and v13.6.0.1002 ?
Does this sound good or should I just uninstall and reinstall without bringing back the original OS image?

Is it alright to use the up to date Intel IRST software and drivers instead of the Dell OEM not up to date software and drivers? How do you feel about that?
12.8.2.1000 is the most up to date from Dell.

You also said the RAID Rom doesn’t matter unless I want to use the RAID option.
If in the future I wanted to use the RAID option what IRST software and drivers should I use with the current Intel Option Rom 11.6.0.1702?
Remember I can go back with my OS images.

Thanks again for your help, g3

Dell XPS 15 L521x, Windows 7 Home edition premium, Samsung SSD 850 evo pro (boot) and 1tb Hitachi HD in ACHI mode

@ g3:
Why do you want to (re)install the Intel RST Software at all?
You don’t have a real benefit from the IRST Software, because you are running your Intel SATA ports in AHCI mode. Without the IRST Software you will not have any problem, when you install an Intel RST driver version on top of another one.

This is what I recommend to do:
1. Uninstall the IRST Software.
2. Reboot.
3. Install the Intel RST(e) driver v13.1.0.1058 WHQL manually from within the Device Manager.

They both natively do not support your Intel 7-Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller.

Fernando, again thanks for your help,

I didn’t really want to reinstall the Intel RST software.
I thought since I could go back using an OS image that I created before the update and before I uninstalled IRST software that would be the way to go if necessary.
I would be starting from the beginning.

My current OS has the 12.8.2.1000 update from Dell drivers but the IRST software is uninstalled. What do you think about using Intel updates vs Dell updates?

Do I uninstall the drivers through device manager since there is no IRST software to uninstall? Sorry for this question but I’m not familiar with driver only uninstall.

Would you please tell me what I will need to do in the future if I want to use the RAID option?

Can you tell me how you know what versions are compatible with Intel 7-Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller, is it by the version number or have you found out through Intel’s release notes?

Thank you, G3

If you choose the drivers offered by Dell, you can be (nearly) sure, that they will work with your Dell system, but this way you may not get the best/latest drivers.

No, I would never try to uninstall the RAID driver of a RAID system, because after have done that you may not be able to boot into the OS again.
Furthermore there is no need to uninstall an Intel AHCI or RAID driver, because the OS will properly replace it and all the related settings during the reboot after having changed the driver version (only exception: a “downgrade” from an Intel RST(e) driver to an Intel RST one without additional SCSI filter driver).

What do you want to know?

When I want to know, which Intel Chipsets are supported by a special driver, I open the related INF file and check the listed HardwareIDs.
Furthermore you can read within Intel’s Release Notes, which Operating Systems and which Intel SATA Controllers are supported by the related driver.

Hi what is the recommendation for a windows 10 installation with a X58 chipset? It appears that installing RST for Windows 10 will destroy your intstall giving errors that the boot drive is no longer accessible.

@ davewolfs:

My recommendation depends on the SATA mode of your system. Are you running your OS in AHCI, RAID or IDE mode?

Where did you read that?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Zitat von Fernando im Beitrag #949
My recommendation depends on the SATA mode of your system. Are you running your OS in AHCI, RAID or IDE mode?

Where did you read that?

I am running my non boot drives in Raid 1.

I did not read it. I experienced it. If I install the RST drivers on my system it will no longer boot into windows. Not installing them it works fine. Ideally I can just use the drivers from Windows 7 but I don’t know if that is possible. RST definitely does not work with x58 driver (or at least mine).

Really I’m not concerned about the drivers it seems that Windows 10 install with drivers that recognize the raid without issues. My main issue is that I no longer have access to the storage manager to deal with any raid issues that might come up. Ideally if I can get the software without replacing my drivers I would be happy.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the double quoted text removed (to save space)

Ok, in this case it is difficult to recommend a special Intel RST driver (the best would be v11.2.0.1006, but due to the in-box RAID driver it not easy to get it installed resp. to avoid a BSOD after the reboot).

You certainly mean the Intel RST Drivers & Software Set and not the pure Intel RST driver. Which version did you install?

Your Intel RAID array doesn’t need the Intel RST Software. It is just comfortable to have access to the RST Console from within Windows.

Win10 has an in-box Intel RST RAID driver v13.2.0.2022. If you are satisfied with this driver, you may try to install the suitable 32bit or 64bit variant of the “Universal 32/64bit Intel RST Software v13.2.4.1000”. which I can upload for you and other interested users.

That would be really great if you could. If I install that will the it try to overwrite the driver or will it just allow me to control my raids from the console. One of my raids is currently stuck on “verifying” so I’m not sure what is going on with it i.e. is the controller/bios working while it is in windows or not. Normally I would be able to view this in Windows with the software.

Thank you for your help!

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted text removed (to save space)

I have just added the extracted original 32/64bit Intel RST Software Sets v13.2.4.1000 to the start post of >this< thread.

These packages do not contain any Intel RST driver, but just the Intel RST Software, which is needed to get the RST Console running.

Off topic: Please stop to fully quote any previous post. It takes a lot of space and has a negative impact on the performance of the Forum.

You are the man Fernando. That worked like a charm!

One note. I had an issue with the install. I had to right click and select troubleshoot compatibility to get it to install. Other than that perfect. Shows my drives are verifying and their percentage complete so this works perfectly with the "stock" Windows 10 drives.

Thank you so much.

Noticed one unusual thing and not sure if there is a work around. When you create a raid 1 disk there is usually an option to preserve data on 1 of the disks I.e the source. This no longer seems to be an option as it is greyed out.

EDIT by Fernando: Title customized

What is the problem?
Within a RAID1 array the data are generally preserved on all (both) disks, which are members of the array (RAID1=“Mirror”).

If you should have further questions regarding your RAID1 configuration resp. the options of your currently used Intel RST Console version, please start a new thread, because your problem has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

I have a 6+ year old Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P rev1.6 motherboard that I’m running a RAID 0 (2 SSD drives) and a RAID 10 (4 HDD Drives). I noticed sometime last year that TRIM wasn’t working on the RAID 0 SSD’s and found someone who was able to update my BIOS OROM (ICH10R Southbridge support) to v12.9.0.2006 (with a TRIM mod). It immediately fixed the TRIM issue and I’ve been a happy camper ever since. I have, however, been consistently updating the IRST drivers and software to the latest version and, recently, updated to v14.6.0.1029.

I get the feeling from reading this site that updating my drivers may not have been the smartest thing to do. I am getting ready to Clean Install Windows 7 on the system and was wondering what drivers you’d recommend me to use? On the OP, it looks like I should be using v12.9.4.1000. Is that what you’d recommend for me to install when I rebuild the system? Is it also important to match the RST software to the driver version?

Thanks, in advance, for the great service you provide. This site is definitely bookmarked for future use!

@ Uncle_Gadget:

If you want to run an Intel RAID driver, which will give your RAID0 the best possible performance, and avoid any problem while trying to “downgrade” your currently running Intel RAID driver, I recommend
a) to “downgrade” the Intel RAID ROM of your BIOS to the “TRIM in RAID0 modded” v11.2.1527 and
b) to reinstall Win7 from scratch and to load the Intel RST RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL at the beginning of the OS installation.

Yes, it is.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Fernando, I think I need to re explain myself better. I’m sorry if I haven’t been clear.

I have a Dell XPS 15 L521x with Windows 7 Home Premium using a Intel 7-Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller.
boot drive SSD 250gb Samsung 850 evo pro and data drive 1tb hitachi.
I am using it in AHCI mode.
I made an image of the OS before making any changes.
then
I installed the new Dell update 12.8.2.1000 on top of the original 11.7.4.1001
then I uninstalled the updated IRST software but the updated 12.8.2.1000 drivers are still being used by the OS.

I then learned here that I should have uninstalled the IRST software before installing the new update v 12.8.2.1000

Question: since I installed the new version on top of the original IRST software and drivers should I:

1. go back to original OS using my old OS image to before I installed the update, that way I can uninstall the IRST software first, then install the newest v13.1.0.1058 WHQL?
or
2. leave OS as is and install new updated drivers only v13.1.0.1058 WHQL?

Thanks again, G3

@ g3:

I would choose the second option and stick with it, if everything works fine.