Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.1.0.1015/ v9.0.0.1836)

@ all:

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit Intel RST(e) drivers v14.8.0.1042 WHQL dated 11/04/2015
  • new: Intel RST(e) Drivers & Software Set v14.8.0.1042 WHQL dated 11/17/2015

Notes:
  1. The included AHCI/RAID drivers are WHQL certified by Microsoft and usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up.
  2. Only Intel 8-, 9-, X99 and 100-Series Chipsets are natively fully supported by these drivers.
  3. Thanks to Fdrsoft resp. Station-Drivers for having published the source package.

Since I just have installed these new Intel RST(e) divers onto my Z97 AHCI system running Win10 x64, here are some pictures:

Intel RST Console 14.8.0.1042.png

Intel RST driver v14.8.0.1042 WHQL.png

Anvil_Z97-AHCI_1TB-Samsung-850-EVO_14801042.png

Anvil_Z97-AHCI_1TB-Samsung-850-EVO_14801042_Pic2.png

Good luck with these new Intel AHCI and RAID drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
I see quite a difference between the two benchmark snapshots you’ve posted. Would you care to explain it? Thanks!

All recently released Intel RST drivers v14 series show sometimes a good performance with my Z97 system, but I am missing the stability of the v13 series drivers.
My personal conclusion: The Intel RST(e) drivers of the v14 series natively do support all Intel chipsets from 8-Series up, but Intel has optimized them for their 100-Series Chipsets. For 8- and 9-Series Chipsets the v13 series RST(e) drivers are still the better choice.

Has anybody else noticed that for some odd reason you need to install the drivers manually with the Intel RST(e) drivers v14.8.0.1042 WHQL set?
I am on Windows 7 x64 OS and on the X99 platform in RAID 0 mode and the RST setup installer only seems to install the RST application and not the drivers as well.
The drivers installed perfectly fine manually via the Windows Device Manager.

Anyone know if Intel fixed the issue where the disks do not spin down after activity timeout has expires? In all of the 14. drivers I have tried they don’t spin down, so I am still at 13.6.3.1001 on windows 10 because of this (maybe that isn’t a bad thing for Z87).

It seems it does ! I think !

On my laptop
Was using 12.9.4 to have APM disabled. it is still disabled now.

It seems only for laptop it fixed not raid drivers

EDIT by Fernando: Screenshot resized (to save space) and directly attached

No, after having run the SetupRST.exe of the “Intel RSTe Drivers & Software Set v14.8.0.1042 WHQL” all components (driver and software) were installed automaticly on my Z97 system running Win10 x64.

It seems it does ! I think !
On my laptop
Was using 12.9.4 to have APM disabled. it is still disabled now.
It seems only for laptop it fixed not raid drivers

Thanks, I am trying to spin down a raid set.

EDIT by Fernando: Extremely big sized quoted screenshot and blank lines removed (to save space)

I installed v14.8.0.2377 on my Asus Z170-A on Windows 10. They work fine. But one bug I have noticed. Inserting a Disc to my BD-Rom the label won’t update in My-PC or My Computer. Once you enter the disc the label updates. Uninstall and using microsoft drivers works fine with BD-Rom drive. Anyone know a fix for this?

@ Dion:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I don’t believe that, because 14.8.0.2377 is the version of the Intel RAID Legacy ROM resp, EFI RaidDriver BIOS module and cannot be installed.
If you should mean the Intel RST(e) driver v14.8.0.1042, please let us know the SATA mode you are using (AHCI or RAID?).

Whose label doesn’t update?
Is the BD-ROM device connected with an Intel SATA port?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I don’t believe that, because 14.8.0.2377 is the version of the Intel RAID Legacy ROM resp, EFI RaidDriver BIOS module and cannot be installed.
If you should mean the Intel RST(e) driver v14.8.0.1042, please let us know the SATA mode you are using (AHCI or RAID?).

Yes I meant to say Intel RST(e) AHCI/RAID Drivers & Software Set v14.8.0.1042 WHQL drivers…

Zitat von Fernando

Whose label doesn’t update?
Is the BD-ROM device connected with an Intel SATA port?

The label of the disc won’t update in My-PC. But once I enter the disc and browse its folder structure the label updates. Default Microsoft AHCI driver doesn’t have this problem.
In Bios it is AHCI not Raid.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted text removed (to save space) and re-formatted the post

This may be a minor design issue of the Windows File Explorer, but I don’t think, that this is a bug of the special Intel AHCI driver version.

Hey Fernando, I was hoping you or someone else here might be able to clue me in on why my 850 EVO 500GB gets pretty bad IOPS? All the benchmarks show results similar to mine as being the bad ones and everyone miraculously fixes them after new AHCI drivers.

- W10 Pro 64bit
- Asus Z170-A (all Intel Sata3 6Gb/s ports)
- BIOS/Drivers up to date
- Drives in AHCI mode in BIOS
- Installed 14.8.0.1042 drivers from this thread

@ Apk07:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Did you follow my advices, which I had layed down >here<?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I’ve done all those steps, minus the “Secure Erase” as I just took this specific SSD out of the box and freshly formatted it. I know its not the drive because I have another 250GB 850 Evo and 256GB 840 Pro experiencing the same slowdown

@ Apk07:

There are too many possible reasons for your issue to give you any concrete advice.

This is what I reciómmend to do
1. Unplug all other storage devices (incl. the Optical Drives) and redo your tests.
2. Check

• a) the most important hardware devices (Processor, RAM, PSU etc.) and
  • b) the mainboard BIOS and its settings.

Your “bad” Random Read results given by the tool Magician (50.466 instead of the promised “up to 98.000”) seem to be not as bad as you have thought.
This is what I get with my Z97 system running the Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD:

A week after I installed my Samsung 850 Evo 500GB mSATA in Magician I got 92655 read and 86718 write.
I will run it again later and post a screenshot.

LE:

STR866 Samsung 850 EVO Magician.jpg

EDIT by Fernando: Screenshot resized (to save space) and directly attached

@Fernando
I think your results are almost normal, considering your SSD has only two NAND chips and from what I’ve read you have to work a lot until you set it up to obtain maximum performance.

PS: Samsung SSDs are known to underperform when they are cold.

This is what I get with my 1 TB Samsung EVO 850 EVO: