Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.1.0.1015/ v9.0.0.1836)

@ Chrysalis:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
Here are my answers:
1. The latest Windows Operating Systems from Win8 up do neither need nor use the SCSI filter driver named iaStorF.sys. Reason: These Operating Systes do natively support the UNMAP command, which is needed to let TRIM pass through the Intel SATA RAID Controller.
2. If your Intel SATA Controller has been set to “AHCI”, you have to choose the iaAHCI.inf resp. iaAHCIC.inf file. The iaStor.inf resp. iaStorAC.inf file can only be used, when the Intel SATA Controller is running in RAID mode.

Enjoy the Forum!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

On my laptop using AHCI but main driver is using:

@ all:

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit Intel RST(e) drivers v14.6.5.1036 WHQL dated 11/04/2015
  • new: Intel RST(e) Drivers & Software Set v14.6.5.1036 WHQL dated 11/08/2015

Notes:
  1. The included AHCI/RAID drivers are WHQL certified by Microsoft and usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up.
  2. Only Intel 8-, 9-, X99 and 100-Series Chipsets are natively fully supported by these drivers.
  3. Thanks to Station-Drivers for having published the source package.

Good luck with these Intel AHCI and RAID drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello to all,

i am new to this Forum!

i hope you can help me

I have a

Supermicro X10SLH-F/X10SLM±F Board
BIOS Version: 3.0a

running a RAID 5 with 3x RE WD5003ABYZ
and one Hot Spare Drive

i have very heavy Performance Problems

Intel Rapid UI Version: 4.3.0.1542
Intel Raid Rom Version: 3.8.0.1029
Intel Driver Version: 4.3.0.1198
NVMe driver Version: NONE
ISDI-Version: 4.3.0.1542
RSTe spanning filter driver is absent

my Question is should i update and when yes to witch version?
and how i update the Rom version?

p.s: The server Running Server 2012 R2

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english

Ony my PC system also using iaStorA.sys and iaStorF.sys instead iaAHCIC
What to do ?

@LuMeX :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum! I am sorry about my delayed reply.

Questions:
Which is the DeviceID (DEV_2822 or DEV_2826) of your on-board Intel SATA RAID Controller? You get it, when you expand the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager, right click onto the Controller > “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”.

Provided, that the DeviceID of your onboard Intel SATA RAID Controller is DEV_2826, have you already tried the latest Intel RSTe Drivers & Software Set v4.3.1.1152 WHQL (don’t forget to uninstall the previously used Intel RSTe Software, before you are going to install another Set)?

The answer depends on the DeviceID of your on-board Intel SATA RAID Controller.

The easiest and safest way to update the Intel RAID ROM resp. EFI RaidDriver version is to let the UBU tool do the work (look >here<).

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I don’t understand your question. The files named iaStorA.sys and iaStorF.sys are the physical AHCI/RAID drivers of the Intel RST(e) packages from v11.5.x.xxxx up, whereas the iaAHCIC.inf is the information file, which will only be used during the installation of the driver, if you are running your Intel SATA Controller in AHCI mode.
So all these files need each other, there is no “instead” possible.

anyone with the Windows 10 issue with Raid can’t disable APM with intel Raid drivers higher than 12.9.00 and the hardisks are just turning off and on when you try to read from them killing them after a day if not reverting to older version, windows 7 worked perfect no matter what drivers I used. will updating the oprom fix the issue ?

I have Z77 with version 8 I think

@x7007 :
As long as I had access to my Z77 RAID0 system (until April 2015), I haven’t realized any HDD/SSD spin-off/-on problem, not even while running Win8/8.1. und using different v13 series Intel RAID drivers.

Maybe a dumb question: How many Optical Drives (CD/DVD-ROM devices) are connected with your mainboard? I remember a discussion at Intel’s “Support Community” Forum, where users of an Intel chipset system found out, that all their HDD spin-on/off problems were gone after having unplugged their second Optical Drive.

Do you mean the version of the Intel RAID ROM? I doubt, that any mainboard manufacturer has ever inserted an Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.x.x.xxxx into any Z77 mainboard BIOS. I suspect, that the latest BIOS for your mainboard contains an Intel RAID ROM and EFI SataDriver v11.x.x.xxxx.

Hello Fernando,

my deviceID is DEV_2826

i already tried the new version

but i don’t uninstall the old one
i tried to uninstall in Programm and feature but i got a failure so i can’t uninstall
also found no uninstall.exe in the program path

what i have to do now?
can you help me?

thank you very much

How did you install it and which results did you get?

This is either a bug of the Intel RSTe Software package or a bug of the OS.
Question: Have you recently done an Upgrade of the Windows OS or a change of the Intel RSTe Software without uninstalling the previously used version?
The only possibility to get all remaining RSTe software residues erased is to do a fresh install of the OS.

Zitat von Fernando im Beitrag #1128
@x7007:
As long as I had access to my Z77 RAID0 system (until April 2015), I haven't realized any HDD/SSD spin-off/-on problem, not even while running Win8/8.1. und using different v13 series Intel RAID drivers.

Maybe a dumb question: How many Optical Drives (CD/DVD-ROM devices) are connected with your mainboard? I remember a discussion at Intel's "Support Community" Forum, where users of an Intel chipset system found out, that all their HDD spin-on/off problems were gone after having unplugged their second Optical Drive.

Do you mean the version of the Intel RAID ROM? I doubt, that any mainboard manufacturer has ever inserted an Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.x.x.xxxx into any Z77 mainboard BIOS. I suspect, that the latest BIOS for your mainboard contains an Intel RAID ROM and EFI SataDriver v11.x.x.xxxx.

Yes my mistake it is version 11.xx

I don’t have any optical device connected.

Do you have APM Hard Disk supporting APM ? if not then you won’t have issue. I have the same issue on my laptop Asus G751JT with Hitachi Hard Disk. Again, if you don’t have the issue , you do not have APM supported hard disk . Again series 12.9.xxx works, IRST 13.xx any , IRST 14.xx any have the same issue. someone here said IRSe (Enterprise) fixed his issue by letting him to disable APM , but my mother board doesn’t support so I can’t try, or can someone mod it to support ? Download CrystalDiskInfo and tell us if you have APM supported hard disk then you’ll know why you don’t have the issue.

Samsung HD103SJ 1TB are effected which has APM
Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 1TB are effected which has APM

The problem every restart it is spinning off until CrystalDiskInfo is enabled and autoruns on startup and it disables it again, it will just screw my hard disk every restart , the worst case scenario if CrystalDiskInfo won’t load up then the hard disk will die if I’m not following it.

======================

Obviously not.

I have recently done it. You can find the modded+signed Intel RSTe drivers v4.3.0.1198 >here<. They will support your Z77 system.
Before you try to install them, don’t forget to uninstall the currently running IRST Software and to import the Digital Signature Certificate of Win-RAID CA.

Hello Fernando,
i installed it from the packet i got from the mainboard vendor

A fresh install of the OS omg please not its i server 2012 r2 standart and runs in full production :frowning:
is there no other way???

On my board is a C600+/C220+ series controller
my read performanc is okay but my write performance is very bad
Please help me :frowning:

Why didn’t you answer my first question of my last post?

I don’t know any, which is as safe as a fresh OS install.

It seems to be working, won’t I have any issues with that ? if it’s working should I be worried of some other things which might happen ?

I’m getting this version from the link you’ve sent
Intel(R) SATA RAID Controller DEV_2822 added by Fernando
Intel Corporation
21/05/2015
Win-RAID CA

EDIT : Not working Well
For some reason this driver is not good, I couldn’t pass 60 mb write on my SSD Sandisk Extreme 500 GB … I did system restore with 12.9.4 and I got back to 471-500MB speed.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded blank lines and parts of the fully quoted text removed (to save space)

Could I piggyback on this question:
I have a DC7900, Q45 chipset, ICH10D0, 2 Samsung "2TB" [1.86] drives setup with RAID 1 single volume, apparently healthy. all I have loaded so far is utility stuff. still trying to get the os completely updated: it is windows7 ultimate 64bit

from reading a lot of the IRST posts here on the forum I am concluding there is nothing to gain by installing that. am I correct? the current driver showing:
storage: iaStorV.sys version 8.6.2.1014

using auto windows update I see no newer better driver.

also, I would like to install the GUI if posted here somewhere for the platform.

thanks for the forum

Since I didn’t know, what a “DC7900” is, I needed to do a Google search for this unknown mainboard or notebook/desktop PC.
Question: Why didn’t you write, that you have a HP Compaq dc7900 Business PC?

I don’t understand what you are asking for.
If it should be the “best” Intel RAID driver, please look into the start post of >this< thread. At the bottom you will finf the Intel RAID driver I recommend to install (Note: ICH10DO and ICH10R Southbridges running in RAID mode are supported by the same Intel RST RAID driver version).

Which sort of GUI do you mean?
If it should be the GUI of the Intel RST Console, you will get it after having installed the appropriate Intel RST Drivers & Software Set.

sincere apologies. Fernando. its an excellent PC, btw, though older.

regarding the device driver, what is installed now is working ok so far as I know though I have not benchmarked it - I read here some discussions of disk/RAID volume performance , IRST driver vs. iaStorV.sys versions. did not see any evidence that using IRST driver would improve performance in this particular RAID 1 setup on this older platform using these conventional HDD’s, but I could have missed. Hence the question. most of the discussion was re: newer systems with better [sata 3] disk controllers and SSD’s installed.

the GUI I meant that which is packaged in the IRST software ‘bundle’. Am I right in assuming the GUI is only of use with IRST driver installed, not reading hardware raid drive health? the point is, in case of a HDD problem I would like notification somehow. this one is being used as a server, not workstation. without the GUI I’ll need to find another way to either get exception notice or periodically reboot and simply check the drive health.
thank you much
c

EDIT by Fernando Unneeded fully quoted post removed (to save space)

@cognus :

You are right: For RAID users with a server system it is essential to get the health of the RAID array monitored by the Intel RST software.