Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.1.0.1015/ v9.0.0.1836)

I found that turning off "Hybrid Sleep" solved spinning up HDDs before sleep issue with RST driver.
But i wonder, why default "ahci 1.0 serial ATA" driver have not this issue with "Hybrid Sleep" enabled?

Hello

I have a big issue and I hope you can help me… I have and old P5QL PRO, P43 chipset on a W7 32bits, with a 250Gb SSD, 320Gb SATA and 2TB SATA, and I had added a new 4TB internal HDD but it only detected 1.64TB… even using GPT initialization.

After many hours of googling for solutions, I came across your forum and I installed your recommended intel drivers “Intel RST AHCI/RAID Drivers & Software Set v11.2.0.1006”… then on reboot, first I had some minor problems… computer didn’t boot because changes in the BIOS that had changed from ACHI to IDE, I changed it back to ACHI and booted ok.

Then when intel drivers installation finished, the new 4TB HDD was detected with its full size, so I was very happy…but, now when I access the previous 2TB HDD Sata comes my big issue: I can see the files, but I can’t access them anymore, it’s like the drive became corrupt all of a sudden… also in some reboots, the disk is not detected, or detected as raw… I have run some recovery software with no success

Can you tell me why might this be happening and if there is something I can do to recover the access to this drive and its files??

Thank you very much

@sotillopower :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

It is not easy to help you, because it is just you, who is sitting in front of the PC and knows, what you have done in the past.
Additionally it seems very strange for me, that the SATA mode BIOS setting had changed automaticly after having installed the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006.
Questions:
1. Which storage driver did you use before you installed the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006?
2. Are all your storage devices (SSDs and HDDs) connected to SATA ports, which are managed by the Intel SATA Controller?
3. What does the Disk Management show regarding your 2TB HDD?
4. Why did you install the complete Intel RST Drivers & Software Set (the Software is not really required unless you have created a RAID array)?
5. What happens, when you swith to the generic MS AHCI driver?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you for your quick reply

I answer your questions:

Questions:
1. Which storage driver did you use before you installed the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006?
The one which came by default with the W7 installation and the Asus update… it was rather old, I think it was this version V8.9.0.1023

2. Are all your storage devices (SSDs and HDDs) connected to SATA ports, which are managed by the Intel SATA Controller?
Yes, all the storage devices are connected to the mainboard SATA ports

3. What does the Disk Management show regarding your 2TB HDD?
It’s listed as active and in the Intel console appears as active and ok… the windows file explorer sees the disk and I can access the folders, but when I try to open / copy any file it shows an access error… also an error regarding the recycle bin. And sometimes, when I boot the computer the disk does not show at all and it appears a message “format disk to use” and in disk management appears as RAW. With some recovery tools it says there are damaged sectors, but the disk was in perfect condition before installing the driver.

4. Why did you install the complete Intel RST Drivers & Software Set (the Software is not really required unless you have created a RAID array)?
Maybe because I am not an expert (sorry) and I was desperately looking for solutions before having to return / replace the new 4TB HDD… and I thought that updating the Intel drivers might do the trick… it really did for the 4TB, but with the collateral damage to the previous 2TB HDD…maybe I should have unplugged this HDD before updating the drivers??

5. What happens, when you swith to the generic MS AHCI driver?
This I can’t tell you… I don’t know how to do that and I’m afraid that if I do and downgrade, could it affect the other drives??

Thanks again for your support, the drivers really managed to solve the 4TB issue… I don’t know why in the process the 2TB HDD was damaged (the other 250 gb SSD and 320gb HDD are fine)

Any help or hint would be extremely appreciated to avoid losing the large amount of files I have in the 2TB HDD :(( and maybe to prevent this from happening to other people in similar situations

Regards

@sotillopower :
Since you obviously had updated the in-use AHCI driver from v8.9.0.1023, which belongs to the “Matrix Storage Manager” platform, to v11.2.0.1006, which belongs to the “Rapid Storage Technology” platform, it is important to know, whether the previously used MSM driver v8.9.0.1023 had been installed as “pure” driver or as Drivers & Software Set as well.
If it should be the latter option, you have to uninstall the realted “Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager” software from within the “Add/remove Software” section of the Control Panel.
After having done that, your problem may already been solved after the next reboot.
Note: Users, who want to update any Intel AHCI/RAID driver by installing the complete Drivers & Software Set, have to make sure, that the previously installed Intel MSM/RST Software has been installed and the system rebooted before going to start the installation of the desired other driver or Drivers & Software Set.

This is what I recommend to do:
1. Make sure, that the SSD/HDD, which contains the boot sector and the OS, is connected to the first SATA port (usually named port0).
2. Connect the 2 TB sized HDD to the second SATA port (named port1).
3. Unplug all other HDDs.
4. Start the PC and check, whether you get access to all data of the 2 TB sized HDD.
5. If yes, power off the PC and connect the other 2 HDDs to the next SATA ports (port3 and port4).
6. Start the PC and check the integrity of all SSDs/HDDs.

Zitat von sotillopower im Beitrag #1864

This I can’t tell you… I don’t know how to do that and I’m afraid that if I do and downgrade, could it affect the other drives??

A switch from a specific Intel AHCI driver to the generic MS in-box AHCI driver is neither a “downgrade” nor risky.
This is the way to do it:
1. Start the Device Manager and expand the section “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers”.
2. Right-click onto the listed “Intel(R) 5-Series SATA AHCI Controller” and choose the options “Update driver” > “Browse my computer…” > “Let me pick…”.
3. Provided, that the option “Show compatible devices” is checked, you will see there the entry “Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller”.
4. Click onto that entry and install the MS in-box AHCI driver.
5. After the reboot your on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller will be renamed to “Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller” and will use the MS in-box AHCI driver.
6. If you should not be satisfied with the AHCI driver switch, you can redo the switch the same way (the Intel(R) SATA AHCI Controller will be shown as compatible device).

Thanks!!

I followed your suggestion of unplugging the other HDD’s and then boot with only the 2TB HDD attached and then it was recognized… afterwards, I shutdown PC, plugged the other drives, then on Windows started automatic controller installation and even though at first there seemed to be a problem again, after rebooting and checking the cables a few times, finally I managed to boot the PC successfully: all drives recognized and also with really fast transfer speed between them… maybe I must wait a little longer to ensure the stability of the system, but after a few hours and reboots it seems OK and I’m very happy to finally have managed to install the new drive and give a new life to this PC

So I thank you very much for your personalized support and the whole information you provide in this forum… without you I think I would have ended either formatting the 2TB drive or returning the new 4TB

Update of the start post
Changelog:

• new: 64bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v16.7.7.1023 WHQL dated 10/03/2018
  • new: Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v16.7.7.1023 WHQL dated 10/16/2018

The 64bit drivers are WHQL certified and usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win8 up. 32bit drivers are not available. Only the latest Intel Chipsets from 100-Series up (incl. X299) are natively supported by these drivers resp. by this Drivers & Software Set.
Thanks to Pacman resp. Station-Drivers for the source package.

Enjoy it!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

The update from 16.7.0.1009 to 16.7.7.1023 does not work for me, at the install it ask me if I want to update but does not show version numbers, after the installation and reboot its still the old version on my system.

@Tobiwan :
Questions:
1. Which Intel chipset has your mainboard and which SATA mode (AHCI or RAID) are you using? Alternative question: Which are the HardwareIDs of your in-use Intel SATA Controller?
2. How did you try to update the Intel RST driver?

I always do the same like on every update, run the SetupRST.exe as Admin and update the software.

I have a ASUS Prime Z270-A running in AHCI mode… wait I see at the hardware manager the driver updated to 16.7.7.1023 (03.10.2018) but the software shows 16.7.0.1009

My hardware ID:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A282&SUBSYS_872F1043&REV_00
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A282&SUBSYS_872F1043
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A282&CC_010601
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A282&CC_0106

@Tobiwan :
Before you are going to change the Intel RST AHCI/RAID driver version (no matter whether as “pure” driver or as Drivers & Software Set), you have to uninstall the previously installed “Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology” Software from within the Control Panel’s “Add/Remove Software” section.
For details please look >here<.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) Version 16.7.9.1027 WHQL

Thank you Pacman for the updated version, the version 16.7.9.1027 works without problems. I install it and it updated the driver and software like it should and did always before.
driver version 16.7.9.1027 (15.10.2018) - and software version 16.7.9.1027
The “Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v16.7.7.1023 WHQL dated 10/16/2018” have a issue, it only updates the driver but not the software.

@Fernando I never did that before updating to a new version and there was never a problem with the update process. I made this so many times now. The IRST ask at installation, did you want to update from version xx to version xx and did everything by itself.

Update of the start post
Changelog:

• new: 32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID drivers v16.7.9.1027 dated 10/15/2018
  • new: 64bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID drivers v16.7.9.1027 WHQL dated 10/15/2018
  • new: Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v16.7.9.1027 WHQL dated 10/27/2018

These drivers are usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win8 up. The 32bit drivers are not WHQL, but digitally signed by Intel. Only the latest Intel Chipsets from 100-Series up (incl. X299) are natively supported by these drivers resp. by this Drivers & Software Set.

Enjoy it!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

For those of us who like it raw (just drivers, not install software), are there some registry entires to enable Performance modes that RST installers have? I know that write caching can be enabled/disabled within Device Manager, but I am unsure about the "performance gear". BTW, does OROM/Driver match recommendation remain? For example, with OROM 16.7.0, it used to be that drivers 16.7.0 would work best, but these days we have OROM 16.7.0 with driver 16.7.9. I think OROM 17.0 just came out on Station Drivers.

Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v16.8.0.1000 WHQL

Update of the start post
Changelog:

• new: 32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v16.8.0.1000 dated 12/03/2018
  • new: 64bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v16.8.0.1000 WHQL dated 12/03/2018
  • new: Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v16.8.0.1000 WHQL dated 12/06/2018

These drivers are usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win8 up. The 32bit drivers are not WHQL, but digitally signed by Intel. Only the latest Intel Chipsets from 100-Series up (incl. X299) are natively supported by these drivers resp. by this Drivers & Software Set.

After having installed the complete Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v16.0.1000 onto my Z170 system, I can confirm, that it obviously works even with Intel 100-Series Chipset systems.
Here are the related pictures:

RST 16.8.0.1000 Pic1.png

RST 16.8.0.1000 Pic2.png

Enjoy it!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Fernando, do you happen to know why on the official Intel Download Center website, the “latest” iRST driver version reverted back to 15.9.0.1015 with a release date saying 11/14/2017?
Is this really their latest version or is it just some BS and that truly is the old version?
If I have a Z390 chipset/i9900k cpu using AHCI via m2 samsung 970pro, would you recommend I use this 15.9 driver or the latest 16.8 drivers?

Thanks for any input you could give regarding this, cheers.

@mrharris :
You should not believe, what the Intel Download Center writes regarding the “latest” RST/RST(e) drivers.
Responsable or the delivery of the best/latest drivers to the consumer is not the manufacturer of the related hardware device (here: Intel SATA AHCI Controller), but the manufacturer of the mainboard resp. of the system. Since several years Intel doesn’t build anymore mainboards for consumers. That is why you may not find the latest Intel AHCI/RAID drivers at Intel’s Download Center.
Nevertheless the Company Intel is still developing new Intel RST/RST(e) drivers and send them to the OEMs (= mainboard/system manufacturers).
If I were you, I would install the Intel RST driver v16.7.9.1027 WHQL. Reason: This driver belongs to the much longer and better developed v16.7 development branch and will have less bugs than the latest Intel RST driver v16.8.0.1000, which is just the first (test) Build of the brandnew RST v16.8 Series drivers.

Awesome reply, thanks for the great info.

With my own testing i seemed to have gotten the best speeds with the 16.7 driver ending in 1023 compared to the last version ending in 1027. This was on a 7700k/z270 apex with dimm2 riser m2 card and 970 pro 1tb.
I wonder if I’ll get different results with a 9900k/z390 godlike/970 pro 1tb. I will post results when I find out.