Intel USB 3.0 Drivers for Windows XP needed

Its no typo, they use ASMEDIA or NEC, ETRON etc USB chip for the USB3.0 function… by that it seems youre looking for a board with Intel USB3.0 chip…
If thats the case: Intel released its first with integrated USB 3.0 ports in 2012 with the release of the Panther Point chipset AKA Serie 7 Ivy Bridge
Still many OEM had already their board designed when launched, you will find many still with non-Intel USB3.0 controller on it or duo implemented.

@MeatWar EDIT: I checked the manual further down and the chip ASM1042 is apparently next to the USB 3.0 ports so it was not actually swaped by the 1083 which was my first guess and got me into the confusion

however the ASUS website only brings out USB drivers for Renesas/NEC !!!
WTF ? https://www.asus.com/supportonly/P8P67-M/HelpDesk_Download/

@MeatWar intel sucks and it requires W7 if you want to take advantage of the native USB 3.0 speed.
I asked someone else who said under XP the USB 3.0 port speed would be around 40/50 MB/s only

in short, I want to install Windows XP and get full USB 3.0 speed thus I need a mobo with a specific chip but was unsure and very confused with the ASMEDIA thing. further more the manual doesn’t describe anything about this…

if USB 3.0 was brought out on chipset 7, I guess no ASUS mobo has an alternative chip for USB 3.0 so I have no other option besides chipset 6 based mobos. what do you think about ?

Yes I know that I can use an external PCI-E card with USB 3.0 ports but some mobos won’t just recognize these cards on bootup so I can’t boot a pen drive with a Linux based ISO or similar.

If you read a bit about this subject, you’ll find out that upon the release of the Intel USB3.0 controller, OEMS were sceptic about the implementation on their HW, due to mature and reliability of the Intel…thats why they were using other manufacturers and only later by 2013/14 they finally used it. USB3.0 was OOBE only in W8 builds as 1srt OS (an OS from 2012) to support it, so there were no greater developments to older 2005 OS like XP.
USB 3.0 - Wikipedia
Read here on Adoption and Issues… I understand your quest and its indeed a difficult search for a nice board with it and OS support, again keep in mind that only in 3rd GEN Panther Point PCH was finnaly fully supported by Intel, Intel 7 Series not 6.

@MeatWar I am still confused, how can we get an ASMEDIA chip to work with NEC/RENESAS specific drivers ?
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/P8P67-M/HelpDesk_Download/
I have a crappy external PCI-E card with two USB 3.0 ports, which works fine with NEC driver however I tried the RENESAS driver and it just doesn’t run. LOL

Lets get one thing straight the ASM1083 is a PCI bridge (Not a PCIe) and has nothing to do with ASMedia USB or needed.
Usually we dont use drivers form other xHCI controllers on a different chip brands…rigth?
The driver from ASUS (You linked) USB3.0 NEC, for XPx64 may not work or need adjustments for the PCI ID of that NEC on the add on card.
If u want to use a driver from NEC on the ASMedia you need a moded driver… if possible.

On ASUS website they have ASM and NEC drivers for USB3.0 on XP… but the manual only states ASMEDIA 1042 USB Controller…no NEC/RENESAS on this motherboard model.

EDIT: I think they made a mistake… indeed there are several Asus boards with NEC, same generation 6th, i dont have such board with me to confirm, for ex. the P8Z77M has the ASMedia but earlier had indeed the NEC.

NEC: NUSB3XHC, PCI\VEN_1033
ASM: asmtxhci PCI\VEN_174C and PCI\VEN_1B21

The Sabertooth P67 uses the NEC
P7H55 also, P6X58 also…

@MeatWar Yes I know ASM1083 serves as a PCI bridge which I have no possible interest to (I prefer PCI-E)

that’s my concern, why does ASUS provide NEC drivers for a mobo that comes with ASM1024 chip ??? did I miss anything out ?

the other ASM driver listed on the web is addressed for SATA ports…

sorry if I am being too much annoying :sweat:

@MeatWar just saw your edit.
yes, the TechPowerUp link I posted above is a chipset 6 based mobo and has couple of NEC chips associated to USB 3 ports unlike the mATX version P8P67-M which comes with ASM chip and NEC drivers though

with regards to the P8Z77-M it has two ASMEDIA1442 which are apparently associated to the HDMI port
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/P8Z77-M/HelpDesk_Manual/
however the gaming platform MAXIMUS V GENE based on the same chipset 7 has an ASMEDIA1042
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/MAXIMUS%20V%20GENE/HelpDesk_Manual/
same thing applies to the ASROCK gaming mobo and chipset 7
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z77%20Professional-M/#Download

I have no idea why the consumer editions whether H77 or Z77 (rev 1 or rev 3) don’t have a specific chip for USB 3.0 unlike the gaming platform…

ASM 1442 its an HDMI chip… i have a P8Z77M-Pro, a MAXIMUS V F and a SABERTOOTH Z77, we have Intel and ASMedia 1042 working toghether here, so keep searching good luck.

EDIT: No my friend, w7/10/11

@MeatWar do you use WINDOWS XP with any of those mobos ?

@MeatWar OK no XP over there.
so your experince doesn’t serve me much.
if I was 100% sure that a PCI-E card with USB 3.1 or 3.2 ports was recognized on bootup and had drivers for XP I would pick up this solution and a mobo with chipset H77, Z77 o B85 instead
otherwize I must lock down at the P67 or H67 mobo series with (PCI-E 2.0 and DX10 only)
I mostly have a handful of alternatives to choose from coz I want mATX, no dual PCI, official drivers, USB 3 chip, ASUS, (GIGABYTE, MSI, ASROCK don’t please me)

@MeatWar extremely rare mobo. maybe OEM ?
could not find any sign of it on the ASUS website
looks like a PH77 variant with with integrated chipset 8 !!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002116201087.html

ASUS System board from desktop: BM6AF Driver & Tools | Desktop | ASUS Global

BM6AF | Desktop | ASUS Global

No support for USB3.0 during Windows OS setup, according the manual.

As you can see, by this generation of HW, Asus left the other vendors behind and started using only Intel Hub Controller

can you translate this context ? I don’t get this point

Search for XP2ESD, it should give you what you need and many more :slight_smile:

@George_King give me what ? :roll_eyes:

Fully working modern XP installer that can be installed from USB3 to NVMe at the end of process :slight_smile:

@George_King what NVMe is known for a fact to work flowlessly on XP without a single BSOD ? what mobo are you refferring to ?

As we have various Generic NVMe drivers, newly compiled ACPI and many more it will work on your machine (UEFI not possible for now, but probably in near future). It’s well know image builded by XP2ESD works on newest Z690 for example.

@George_King what is generic ? the typical chinese NVMe from Aliexpress ?
where are the OFFICIAL XP drivers for the Z690 platform ?