Latest Firmware for ASM1064/1166 SATA Controllers

I found a small difference with thew new firmware:
The subsystem change a little with the new firmware as shown in pic number 2.

I’ve had a look into the Drive .inf’s for 3.3.3.0 and 3.3.5.0 and for all intents and purposes I don’t think it affects anything in a major operational way.

However what is causing problems is I’m having issues on my windows 7 boxes with these November 2022 firmwares coming out of S3 sleep isn’t working even though ASM1166 is supposed to support the power management features, it kind of semi works if you use the Microsoft AHCI driver not the AsMedia one, but if I can’t solve anything I may have to return to the ECS06 firmware as sleep mode is important to me, and the Silverstone ECS06 one is purported to work (although I haven’t tested this yet). Obviously if I dowgrade the firmware back lower then I lose bootable capability and can only operate the card as data drives.

It would be useful to find out other peoples experiences with this. Is sleep and wake mode S3 working for you with these firmwares?

I haven’t tested Windows 10 yet but will at some point, and I might even have to swap in my 1062 and 1061 adapters to see if it’s a 1166 firmware/chip issue or just bugs with asmedia drivers.

My advice is be careful with flashing even though it may be tempting as it’s newer. There’s no change logs to show differences, and you may lose certain functionality that you had previously with no way to get it back, save buying a new one.

Mine sleep works in windows 11 with both asmedia drivers and the windows derault ones.

The subsystem change in firmware was the Subsystem Vendor ID. They change it to 1B21= Asmedia
because there not exist company with 2116 id.

-PCI\VEN_1B21 - ASMedia Technology Inc. | Device Hunt

It’s also failing to sleep for me on Windows 10 I just tested it. I think it could be a legacy system issue with these cards.

Don’t think power management of these adapters is supported properly on these legacy systems. If I use the onboard intel ICH10R to connect the drives all is fine. No issues. Only when the Asm1166 is installed does system fail to sleep and wake.

I’ve already tried the usual fiddling with stuff in the power management section of control panel. Selective suspend settings etc.

I have found that these old systems with ich10r have problem to sleep if hybrid sleep is on.
They work only with hibernation or with s3 sleep if you disable it.
Try it.
hybrid-sleep-1

Yes! this solved the problem. It kills my pci wifi network card in the sleep wake transitions (which is now a seperate issue of investigation) but allows the drives on the plugged in asmedia adapter to restore normally. I was beginning to think along the lines of Win7 and NvMe support re pcie booting and pcie link management power saving nonsense, or maybe it’s because I were using a GEN3 card on a Gen2 pcie slot board, but this actually solved the issue fully. I probably need to make the same kind of setting in Windows 10.

Thanks because I could have been flashng cards and fiddling around with settings for weeks in an attempt to find the root cause.

Now alll we need is a firmware to resolve the 32 ports enumeration problem of 1166 under various OS’s. when it only has 6 ports. It’s like treacle in normal AHCI mode servicing all these virtual ports until the asmedia drivers are loaded in. 1062 and 1061 don’t have this problem. Don’t think it affects windows 10 either due to improvements in AHCI drivers.

The ASM1166 controller has 6 native sata ports. Unfortunately the controller always reports 32 sata ports, which can cause the boot process to be slow unless the ASmedia drivers are being used under Win7.

Not that big of a deal, until you come to re-install the OS with the adapter and drives connected and the drivers won’t install due to SHA2 signing and certificate errors until the OS is updated, but can’t update either in a timely manner because it’s pitifully slow due to 32 ports bug. Catch 22. Have to reinstall OS using onboard sata as temporary workaround.

Is there any method for flashing these in Linux? Or even for showing the firmware version?

No, only in windows.

I have ASM1064 and updated the firmware according to the first post. Unfortunately, the computer with the adapter does not start. What did I do wrong?

Previously, the SATA adapter worked fine, of course, except for the Z 690. I updated it on a motherboard with a G31 chip and a Q6600 CPU.

I don’t have access to any 1064 adapters to test this one out, only 1061,1062’s and 1166’s but are you able to revert to the original firmware without the adapter hanging machine on boot with adapter installed ?!?

I once rescued a misflashed 1062 that was hanging at boot by hotplugging it into the pcie ports and flashing in windows, the dos method of flashing was inaccessible to do it since the misflashed adapter was hanging the machine at init time.

The pci express standard supports hotplugging however windows does not, but this was enough to rescue the adapter despite being a risky unknown operation if you don’t have access to a CH314A programmer to get the chip recovered back to normal. YMMV.

I think it was the case with bricked 1062 that although windows had already loaded and hotplugging the device couldn’t actually see or detect the adapter, it was enough for the asmedia windows flash software to see and access it to be able to reflash back and rescue or something to that effect.

I have access to CH314A. I’ve just never used it and have no experience with flashing this device. Do you have a web page on how to use it? try to flash the same ROM again? 221118-0000-00

-[Guide] Using CH341A-based programmer to flash SPI EEPROM
-[GUIDE] Flash BIOS with CH341A programmer

It is difficult because the firmware chip is not removable.

The firmware is compatible with 1064 as i test it personally and also i found others that have successfully flashed it.
So what is your card and what it your firmware chip?
Can you write the letters from the chip here? And can you post a pic from the adapter?

1 Like

Maybe i am blind but where is the new FW?
“20221118” ?

Every Download Link shows → 11180000.rom

At the Moment my ASM1166 is at Version 220419-0000-00

Does anyone reach out to ASMedia for a 2024 Firmware with “less” Bugs like the 32 Drives :slight_smile:

Even if you apply, they will not give you anything. This is ASMedia’s policy - users take all firmware from their devices.

If i know how i would give you the FW 220419-0000-00 Maybe it is better then all others maybe not. :slight_smile:

https://zapodaj.net/plik-mrBNG0UwbF

https://zapodaj.net/plik-xD8xGRAJ0u

@The_Master the new firmware is in the second post. It is newer than yours.

@shakal84 the spi is this chip. What it writes?
Χωρίς τίτλο

https://zapodaj.net/plik-1aisyVhOhL

This bios spi chip is some Chinese clone of a real one as i cant find it nowhere.
This chip seems to have as a result a fake id recognition so the tool of the firmware flashed it wrongly.

It seems to me that even with ch341 you will failed to flash it as it will not recognize the chip.