Latitude E6420. ME SpiLock failed after CPU change.

Ah, good, good.

As I said earlier, that’s not possible. These HDR files are basically containers for certain SPI chip modules/regions and for some other things which are updated via other methods (EC, ME UPD via FWUpdate etc). You cannot convert a HDR to SPI programmable image. I took you own dump and “replaced as is” the BIOS region only via UEFITool v0.2x. Then I followed the Engine CleanUp Guide to clean/configure/downgrade the ME version to a similar version as to what was included with the initial A01 BIOS HDR image from Dell.

To be certain, did you verify that you’re running BIOS A01 and ME v7.0.4? If yes then it’s probably as you say, BIOS code blacklist/block. But that is beyond my knowledge to be honest. Maybe @Lost_N_BIOS has some idea?

@rustam2v - I have a few questions/thoughts, are we sure it’s 206A2 CPUID? Maybe BIOS doesn’t know for sure, or assigns that incorrectly? Can you please link to listing on ebay where you got these. Did you ask the seller what the s-spec is or what CPUID should be used?
Older 206A2 microcode may work better than latest/newer, so that should be tested as well.

Additional thing that came to mind is virtualization and Vt-d etc, disable this with other CPU installed and save, then put back in this CPU. This may help if this CPU does not have those functions enabled.

You said >> Also this theory supported by mabx_main section in bios region, the only CPU ID present there is 206A2 << Here, first instance = half the 206a2 is the end part of an integer extraction command in assembly (20), rest 6A 20 = push 20h, similarly exact same for next two instances in the MEBX_Main
(So this unrelated, just coincidence it’s using these values)

Here, I made many single byte changes on various modules (CPUDXE First), where a check on 206a2/a0 06 02 is performed (change from setup byte if=1 to if= 0) Probably no help, but first thing I see to try, this is built on dump you gave at post #10 (FD unlocked also)
Additional edits on 4-5 modules included too in a second BIOS, which adds to the above one module change, similar check at SMBIOSBoard / Powermanagement / MemoryInit / CPUPEIBeforeMem
*** Never mind! I can’t replace any modules, UEFITool 25 and 26 ail on rebuild, even if working on BIOS region only. PhoenixTool fails on insertion of edited module with module count mis-match. MMTool can’t open properly, H20EZE fails to open with any version that allows module replacements properly
So, while I may be able to fix this issue, I can’t modify the BIOS!! I’ve never seen such a thing!

**** OK, I can edit the stock BIOS region extracted from the HDR’s (tested A08 and A20) - not sure where this leaves us though because you don’t want to use those BIOS regions.

plutomaniac - What if you disable ME? Or, disable/enable AMT/MEBx, since he mentioned it was looking for that possibly.
Can you tell why I can’t replace a module from his dump and rebuild with UEFITool? If you want to try and see what I mean, the first one I was trying to replace was CPUDXE PE32 body
Weird I can’t rebuild his dump, or region extracted and rebuild region either, but I can edit the stock region from HDR extracts. This bums me out, spent all that time finding what might possibly fix this, and then can’t apply it

@plutomaniac

yes, versions as you specified
@Lost_N_BIOS

I’m not sure, but this only CPU ID displayed in bios setup without dependence on bios version. And A25 started to bios setup after 206A2 microcode injection. Look this http://www.streamtech.net/Downloads/bios.jpg

I have tried to disable all possible dependence points - no changes. As I described before, the problem not in downgrade ME, but that bios initialized and it "well know" that ME will failed before it starts - missed MEBx choice in boot manager! This line missed if CPU replaced with ES.
http://www.streamtech.net/Downloads/F12.JPG
Then any boot choice (inc. diagnostic) ends as described before.
"Failed to get ME Kernel Host Interface version …"
"Error sending End of Post message to ME"
"(A7) Me FW Downgrade - Request MeSpiLick Failed"

I think it because 0.26 have not read CPUDXE PE32 body splited to different location, but N55 can, but still alpha editing

Needs to ask @CodeRush add "defrag" function to NE55 release )))

P.S. I’m free for experiments with bios, because I can reflash with A07 at any moment, and for flashing i need only remove keyboard.

I figured out what was wrong with the dumped BIOS. There was a byte missing from the start of the last BIOS Volume so the actual currently flashed contents are 10MB minus 1 byte (0xA00000 - 0x1). Afterwards, the programmer added 0x1 padding at the end of the image to match the SPI chip size. That’s why UEFITool detected 0x1 padding at the end. My best guess is that this mistake happened during the process to add the 206A2 microcode manually. This is why it is never a good idea to work on top of modded images.

Last Volume Start

Captureb1.PNG

EOF

Captureb2.PNG

E6420_Q64+Q16_fix.rar (4.92 MB)

@plutomaniac

206A2 microcore present in dell bios. I have injected it only to A25 bios.
I have to return the BIOS to version A25, because the earlier ones (inc. A19) do not see 16GB ram. And because the problem is not in ME, but in the initialization of ME. If necessary, it’s possible replace the ME region from A01 by @plutomaniac
But apparently the problem is CPU blacklist in the bios region.
So i provide you A25 bios dump shortly

Ready A25 pure Dell dump

Alright, that dump has proper BIOS and the ME is updated. LOST can use that to try and remove the ES block. We’ll do any ME cleaning only after we’ve seen success, there is no point now.

May be THIS will helpfull
FPT full dump, it’s lite different with programmer dump one, some changes in bios setup.

@rustam2v - FPT Dump should match programmer dump, except for what FD locks you out of dumping (ME, possibly PDR, EC, etc) BIOS setup should be same for either programmer dump or FPT, you do mean “Setup” module from within BIOS region correct?
I’m don’t quite get what you are trying to explain about CPUDXE module, doesn’t make sense to me the CPUDXE module is not and should not be split/fragmented to somewhere else, hopefully that is all only caused by what plutomaniac found instead << Yes, this was only issue, what he found, confirmed before posting!

Yes, I saw your images of the BIOS from the links previously, my thoughts still apply, especially since we can’t see s-spec on IHS-less CPU. Is there s-spec printed in the other black squares?
Can you scan and upload that QR code to somewhere and see what it says. Or provide better image of that so I can upload to somewhere, less blur, more crisp, macro, up close.

For the ME issue, have you tried what’s outlined here exactly, maybe simple fix!
https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-…led/m-p/4728275
Similar mentioned here too - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/…failed.2636825/

If those do not help, please put in other CPU and get into windows and run MEInfoWin -verbose + MeInfoWin -fwsts (From V7 ME System Tools Package)
Then plutomaniac can check the result images and see if the ME looks healthy or not

plutomaniac Thanks for noticing this issue with the BIOS provided previously! Hopefully that was the cause of my attempts at a rebuild failing. (It was, thanks! )

I am not sure the changes I made will help, but they do look promising to me, however there may be others aside from ones I mentioned above.
I’ve not done this type of inspection and bypassing CPU checks before with much luck, but I’ve only tried a few times and never really found things as easily as I did here so there is hope.
Maybe after this, if successful I can go back and possibly figure something out for the “SAGE” guys, that would be nice

rustam2v - since 16GB or 8GB etc is not part of the current issue/concerns, and because I would have to make a bunch of new edits on your A25 dump, for now I will use the file plutomaniac fixed above to try and apply the changes I meant to the other day, since they use this versions BIOS files.
If this works, then yes I will redo on A25 for you. Here is two BIOS, one with CPUDXE edit only, other with all rest I mentioned + CPUDXE edit too. Please test both, programmed in, unless you have unlocked FD current, then you can FPT entire BIOS file in there (FD is unlooked in these too)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…121857309486328

Note to all, please check all padding files in last volume (maybe other volumes too) before/after edit with UEFITool 26, replacing some modules remove 2x padding here (Sometimes relocates one too), other edits even within same volume do not, so it’s random, always check or use 25 instead.
Some modules can only be extracted/replaced with MMTool, otherwise similar issues as mentioned above, all due to editing PEI modules/known issues.

Grrrrrrrr!!! Still stuck, two modules in PEI volume I cannot replace without breaking BIOS (padding files issue in UEFITool, Invalid FFS in MMTool no matter how extracted from MMTool and edited, checksums corrected etc)
Got it, see above for links, what a wrestling match that was

Previously (1st) provided dump was absolutely pure A07 made by CH341A programmer, without any changes by myself.
2nd one also from programmer, A25, the only changes was FD r/w.
But because windows not started with bios default settings (MBR boot), i’ve enter to bios setup and change boot mode to UEFI, turn on the fastboot, and off fastcharge. Then boot to windows and made full dump with FPT. But BeyComp show difference not only in FS region. I know, that in theory both dumps must be same, but … I have described you all made steps detailed.

Nothing to add, but spliting-cuting line )x7FFFFF. The issue found by plutomaniac very far from any border of this spi chips to suspect programmer or software in forgery. If you need, i can restore A07 and make dump with FPT, it will make one file without any split-merge jokes.

Of course i checked in fisrt day after CPU’s were in my hands. And repeating, no one valid boot option (exc. BIOS setup application), MEBx setup boot line missing if one of these CPUs installed.

Only this with any boot choice
"Failed to get ME Kernel Host Interface version …"
"Error sending End of Post message to ME"
"(A7) Me FW Downgrade - Request MeSpiLick Failed"

System boot only to BIOS setup no other way possible! No DOS, no UEFI shell, No Dell diagnostic, no network boot )))
Only bios setup application.
@Lost_N_BIOS I can run MEInfoWin with stock i5 CPU, under which of bios run it? Under Dell A07, under @plutomaniac A01, or under A25 or under any of these?
MEInfo, Stock i5, A25
MeInfoWin64 -fwsts
then
MeInfoWin64 -verbose
It’s halt at the end
Second session of MeInfoWin64 -fwsts failed

P.S. I fall in misunderstanding
I made FPT dump today, nothing were changed from yesterday, but dump different!
CH341A Programmer yesterday !Solved! !Image deleted!
CH341A Programmer today !Solved! !Image deleted!

FPT Yesterday !Solved! !Image deleted!
FPT today !Solved! !Image deleted!

So I have 4 same versions dumps from same laptop but every four lite different, What’s happening?
Made FPT dump again, with 1 hour delay, it also different with other 4!

@Lost_N_BIOS
P.S.2. CPUDXE modded dump - no changes.
P.S.3. 5in1 modded dump - no changes
P.S.4! Something goes wrong, after this modded bios windows !turning of!, not shutdown, after few minutes. Dell bios reflash have not solve issue. Only hardware reflash with A07.

@rustam2v - First dump was either modified or a broken/incorrect dump, per the issues I had that plutmaniac found the cause of, so since you say not modified then maybe you need to try other software version. What is your flash chip ID and what version of software are you using?
I’m surprised you can program that first dump back and it boots, I guess that’s just luck maybe? Programmer can verify a completely blank (FF or 00) BIOS dump, so it’s normal, mistakes happen sometimes, or always if given version is not best one for chip

Sorry, and never mind what I said before, I forgot and the differences are changes in NVRAM and time/dates etc, this would be normal, I was thinking more you meant actual BIOS region itself previously and forgot all about NVRAM, since you are comparing in hex not actual BIOS tools I bet it’s this!

The issue plutomaniac found with dumped BIOS is odd, and shouldn’t happen, it may be random or as mentioned may be due to you should use another software version instead.
Not all versions work best for any given chip, some need to use certain version and some even work better with incorrect ID selected

MEBx missing means ME is not loading as expected for these CPUs, since these are ES they may not be ME or AMT/MEBx enabled.
It’s hard to say since you are not the original intended receiver of these so you wouldn’t know what’s enabled/disable/missing, some ES do not have certain functions that final production silicon have.

Due to that, I think disable ME next would be a good test!

Be sure you’re running the MEInfoWin from Admin command prompt, it says that at end, maybe you need to get into windows instead of DOS if you are using DOS.
Definitely don’t use Power Shell, here is how to run Admin command prompt. Select the folder that immediately contains MEInfoWin.exe, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
if you are stuck on Win10 crap where this is now removed, here’s how to get it back
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

How did the tests of the two BIOS I sent in post #29 go, any changes with either, or all same?
Sorry, I missed your last reply until this posted! Thanks for report back! FPT dump differences are due to NVRAM changes and other normal things, sorry for any confusion I caused there.
When you first mentioned I thought you meant actual BIOS setup region/module, which wont change, no need to keep comparing like you are this isn’t how you’d see what I thought you meant anyway.
Since both BIOS fail, yes, program back other BIOS instead, sorry I could not solve the issue like that Did you test them with ES CPU?
I asked because you mentioned windows shutting down, and I thought you couldn’t boot windows, so wanted to be sure you check both of these BIOS with ES CPU to see if it boots past ME stuck location previously.

plutomaniac is best person to look at the MEInfo stuff, I don’t see any immediate issue. I do see AMT link down, and two “invalid signatures” So maybe there is ME programming issues

@Lost_N_BIOS DOS, Unix, BSD, my friendship with x86 starts with x88 ))) above 30 years ago. So well remember time when DOS & unix was only OS for PC. It will not problem to run any utilities from DOS or Uefi shell.
Of course I run Meinfowin64 from cmd (not PS) as admin. Log.text attached to latest post on 2nd page. But after me info -verbose something goescwrong, execution halts, after processe braking (Ctrl c) all Intel utilities stop functioning and became asking admin rights. Until reboot. Then I found, that windows unexpected turns off. Of course, I’ve test with ES CPU also, no changes
Now I reflashed with original A07, and looks like functioning normal, so I’ll provide you correct Me info logs shortly.
EON EN25Q16
EON EN25Q64

Thanks for the info. Yes, please run the MEInfo from DOS if windows continues to give you issues. And for those MEInfo’s, these should be run with non-ES CPU, so the health of ME can be determined without ES CPU possibly causing any issues

Thanks for CHIP ID’s, which software version are you using?

I can’t run Meinfo with with ES Cpu, because no chance to boot any environment, excluding BIOS Setup )))
With Meinfo situation same as before, -verbose half during execution, then any of Intel ME utilities become asking administrative right )))
Error 9470: Fail to load driver (PCI access for Windows)
Tool needs to run with an administrator privilege account.

Until reboot

C:\IntelTools\Windows64>meinfowin64 -fwsts

Intel(R) MEInfo Version: 8.1.56.1541
Copyright(C) 2005 - 2014, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

FW Status Register1: 0x1E000245
FW Status Register2: 0x70000006

CurrentState: Normal
ManufacturingMode: Disabled
FlashPartition: Valid
OperationalState: M0 with UMA
InitComplete: Complete
BUPLoadState: Success
ErrorCode: No Error
ModeOfOperation: Normal
ICC: Valid OEM data, ICC programmed

C:\IntelTools\Windows64>meinfowin64 -verbose

Intel(R) MEInfo Version: 8.1.56.1541
Copyright(C) 2005 - 2014, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

FW Status Register1: 0x1E000245
FW Status Register2: 0x70000006

CurrentState: Normal
ManufacturingMode: Disabled
FlashPartition: Valid
OperationalState: M0 with UMA
InitComplete: Complete
BUPLoadState: Success
ErrorCode: No Error
ModeOfOperation: Normal
ICC: Valid OEM data, ICC programmed

Windows OS Version : 6.2.9200 ""
OS BIOS Support : UEFI

Table Type 218 ( 0x DA ) found, size of 251 (0x FB ) bytes
Table Type 218 ( 0x DA ) found, size of 23 (0x 17 ) bytes
Table Type 0 ( 0x 00 ) found, size of 24 (0x 18 ) bytes

Windows OS Version : 6.2.9200 ""
OS BIOS Support : UEFI

Table Type 218 ( 0x DA ) found, size of 23 (0x 17 ) bytes
Table Type 0 ( 0x 00 ) found, size of 24 (0x 18 ) bytes
Table Type 1 ( 0x 01 ) found, size of 27 (0x 1B ) bytes
Table Type 2 ( 0x 02 ) found, size of 15 (0x 0F ) bytes
Table Type 3 ( 0x 03 ) found, size of 21 (0x 15 ) bytes
Table Type 4 ( 0x 04 ) found, size of 42 (0x 2A ) bytes
Table Type 7 ( 0x 07 ) found, size of 19 (0x 13 ) bytes
Table Type 8 ( 0x 08 ) found, size of 9 (0x 09 ) bytes
Table Type 9 ( 0x 09 ) found, size of 17 (0x 11 ) bytes
Table Type 10 ( 0x 0A ) found, size of 6 (0x 06 ) bytes
Table Type 10 ( 0x 0A ) found, size of 6 (0x 06 ) bytes
Table Type 11 ( 0x 0B ) found, size of 5 (0x 05 ) bytes
Table Type 12 ( 0x 0C ) found, size of 5 (0x 05 ) bytes
Table Type 13 ( 0x 0D ) found, size of 22 (0x 16 ) bytes
Table Type 16 ( 0x 10 ) found, size of 15 (0x 0F ) bytes
Table Type 17 ( 0x 11 ) found, size of 28 (0x 1C ) bytes
Table Type 17 ( 0x 11 ) found, size of 28 (0x 1C ) bytes
Table Type 19 ( 0x 13 ) found, size of 15 (0x 0F ) bytes
Table Type 20 ( 0x 14 ) found, size of 19 (0x 13 ) bytes
Table Type 20 ( 0x 14 ) found, size of 19 (0x 13 ) bytes
Table Type 21 ( 0x 15 ) found, size of 7 (0x 07 ) bytes
Table Type 22 ( 0x 16 ) found, size of 26 (0x 1A ) bytes
Table Type 26 ( 0x 1A ) found, size of 22 (0x 16 ) bytes
Table Type 27 ( 0x 1B ) found, size of 12 (0x 0C ) bytes
Table Type 28 ( 0x 1C ) found, size of 20 (0x 14 ) bytes
Table Type 29 ( 0x 1D ) found, size of 22 (0x 16 ) bytes
Table Type 32 ( 0x 20 ) found, size of 20 (0x 14 ) bytes
Table Type 34 ( 0x 22 ) found, size of 11 (0x 0B ) bytes
Table Type 41 ( 0x 29 ) found, size of 11 (0x 0B ) bytes
Table Type 126 ( 0x 7E ) found, size of 26 (0x 1A ) bytes
Table Type 126 ( 0x 7E ) found, size of 26 (0x 1A ) bytes
Table Type 129 ( 0x 81 ) found, size of 8 (0x 08 ) bytes
Table Type 130 ( 0x 82 ) found, size of 20 (0x 14 ) bytes
Table Type 131 ( 0x 83 ) found, size of 64 (0x 40 ) bytes
MEBx Version found is 7.0.0.0063

Get ME FWU info command…done

Get ME FWU version command…done

Get ME FWU feature state command…done

Get ME FWU platform type command…done

Get ME FWU feature capability command…done

Get ME FWU OEM Id command…done

Error 1002: Failed to retrieve Intel (R) ME FW Version

FW Capabilities value is 0xDF65C65
Feature enablement is 0xDF65C65
Platform type is 0x1411
Intel(R) Manageability and Security Application code versions:

BIOS Version: A25
MEBx Version: 7.0.0.0063
Gbe Version: 1.3
VendorID: 8086
PCH Version: 4
FW Version: 7.1.91.3272
UNS Version: Not Available
LMS Version: Not Available
MEI Driver Version: 11.0.5.1189
Wireless Hardware Version: 2.1.71
Wireless Driver Version: 15.18.0.1

FW Capabilities: 0x0DF65C65

Intel(R) Active Management Technology - PRESENT/ENABLED
Intel(R) Standard Manageability - NOT PRESENT
Intel(R) Anti-Theft Technology - PRESENT/ENABLED
Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service - PRESENT/ENABLED
Protect Audio Video Path - PRESENT/ENABLED
Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader - PRESENT/ENABLED

Intel(R) AMT State: Enabled

Get iCLS permit information command…done
Command response status indicates invalid signature

Get iCLS CPU allowed feature information command…error

Error 8203: Unexpected result in command response (Get CLS Allowed Feature Info)
Cryptography Support: Enabled
Last ME reset reason: Power up
Local FWUpdate: Enabled

Get BIOS flash lockdown status…done
BIOS Config Lock: Enabled

Get GbE flash lockdown status…done
GbE Config Lock: Enabled

Get flash master region access status…done
Host Read Access to ME: Disabled
Host Write Access to ME: Disabled
SPI Flash ID #1: 1C3017
SPI Flash ID VSCC #1: 20052005
SPI Flash ID #2: 1C3015
SPI Flash ID VSCC #2: 20052005
SPI Flash BIOS VSCC: 20052005
Protected Range Register Base #0 0x0
Protected Range Register Limit #0 0x0
Protected Range Register Base #1 0x0
Protected Range Register Limit #1 0x0
Protected Range Register Base #2 0x0
Protected Range Register Limit #2 0x0
Protected Range Register Base #3 0x0
Protected Range Register Limit #3 0x0
Protected Range Register Base #4 0x0
Protected Range Register Limit #4 0x0
BIOS boot State: Post Boot
OEM Id: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

Get Intel(R) AMT state command…done
Link Status: Link down

Get system UUID command…done
System UUID: 4c4c4544-0033-5110-8047-c8c04f465631

Get LanInterfaceSettings command for wired interface…done
MAC Address:
Get Provisioning Tls Mode command…done
d4-be-d9-40-bc-42
IPv4 Address: 0.0.0.0

Get LanInterfaceSettings command for wireless interface…done
Wireless MAC Address:
24-77-03-87-3e-f4
Wireless IPv4 Address: 0.0.0.0

Get IPv6InterfaceStatus command for wired interface…done
Command response reports interface was disabled
IPv6 Enablement: Disabled

Get IPv6InterfaceStatus command for wireless interface…done
Command response reports interface was disabled
Wireless IPv6 Enablement: Disabled

Get privacy/security level info command…done
Privacy/Security Level: Default

Get provisioning state command…done
Configuration state: Not started

Provisioning Mode: PKI
Capability Licensing Service: Enabled

Get iCLS CPU allowed feature information command…error

Error 8203: Unexpected result in command response (Get CLS Allowed Feature Info)

Get iCLS PCH allowed feature information command…error

Get iCLS PCH allowed feature information command…error

Get ME FWU OEM Tag command…done
OEM Tag: 0x00000000

Get System Integrator ID command…^C
C:\IntelTools\Windows64>

I’ll try MEInfo from DOS or UEFI shell tomorrow

P.S.

This about ME_cleanup?

I thought so, only mentioned just in case you were able to run it somehow with the ES. Run it from DOS and see if you get same, take images with camera of output. It may be messed up, we’ll have to wait until plutmaniac has a chance to see all your currently posted MEInfo outputs.

Also, ME FW is V7, you should be using V7 MEInfo tools, it looks like you are using V8, please try again with V7 instead and see if you have same issue

No, I did not mean ME Cleanup or ME Cleaner etc, I meant doing it properly via FITc, although yes you can try that but it’s not what I meant.

As i know, on Sandy Bridge and later not possible to disable ME absolutely, only AMT. Some ME components are part of platform initializasion. And I have thought about this before, and could’t google any info, that some of 2nd gen. ES may come without ME. 1st gen. ES may, but for SB or later - no.

What is FITc? Show me the path.

Wouldn’t it be worth a try to use ME 7 tools? Or are ME 8 and ME 7 so close that this doesn’t matter?

Wouldn’t it be worth a try to use ME 7 tools? Or are ME 8 and ME 7 so close that this doesn’t matter?

FK! You right! )))

Lost_N_BIOS wrote it already- but I didn’t re-check before posting- Sorry.