Mod the text color/theme on Z97 Asus UEFI BIOS

@jcorrea :
I had no problem to download the attached file from the start post of this thread.
Please try it again. If the download should fail again, I will attach it once more.

uefi image download

does it work on a asus maximus vii gene z97

I know this is an old post, but I got everything I need to mod the graphics of my UEFI BIOS, except that I’m on gigabyte and it uses a packer, there was no information on how to pack the folder back to the ffs file to be able to then replace it on UEFITool.

I’m working on the BIOS of the Asus EX-A320M-GAMING motherboard. My idea is to incorporate the “theme” of Asus ROG BIOS into it. Analyzing my original BIOS and 2 ROG motherboard BIOSes (ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-EXTREME and ROG-STRIX-B550-E-GAMING), I noticed they all have a section with the GUID [CC5840D2-D8EA-459E-BAF4-349AC710EBBE]. Using the tool UefiImageExt, as described here, it’s possible to verify that both sections contain the same images but in different colors. However, the problem arises because the background images of the ROG “theme” are slightly smaller (53KB).

Nevertheless, I tried replacing the [CC5840D2-D8EA-459E-BAF4-349AC710EBBE] section. However, when using EzFlash, it prompts me to select the appropriate file, probably due to the difference in size.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

This seems like an intriguing discovery. Apparently, ASUS BIOS share this section to store images used in the interface.

It’s fine. Usually, UEFIs have plenty of empty space left inside.

This is not due to the difference in size.

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

1 Like

@JeanxPereira
Very interesting. I noticed that the file names are not identical. I wonder if the names will need to be changed, like the original BIOS.

the names are just representations that the tool makes to represent the offset of the images within the section, the names are different because the files have different sizes

@JeanxPereira
If you decide to give it a try, let us know.

I tried to flash using AI Suite by selecting the original BIOS, and before clicking flash, I changed the name of the modified BIOS to the original name in the same directory. EZ Flash works, but after the first reboot, it shows the original BIOS logo, and when entering the BIOS, nothing happens. After restarting the machine, it goes to the original BIOS without the visual modifications.

did you extract the images manually or using that tool? I am on an Asrock board wanting to know how did you do it.

I used PhoenixTool and UefiImageExt as @f3bandit suggested above.

1 Like

My problem now is flashing the modified BIOS; secure flash is preventing me from doing it. I have already tried with Flashrom, Afudos, AI Suite, and EZ Flash directly, but nothing works.

FD unlocked for FPT read/write?

EDIT: No sry, just looked the thread title “Z97 Asus UEFI BIOS”

Some mobo vendors have a bios flash back option where you rename the bios file according to their manual and place in on a thumb drive to flash it using a button on the board or on the back by the IO.
thats the only way i know of as they do signature checks in specific areas of the bios. the flash back does not

so far the only thing I have modded on a system without bios flash back is the boot splash some vendors use to change the windows boot splash to a oem one, like asus or asrock do with their boards.
I have a X300 mini PC from asrock where they changed the boot splash to a 1x1 empty pixel. cause they i guess didn’t feel like making a boot splash for that system. I was able to replace it with a 800x600 boot splash in 4bit color depth in jpeg format by replacing it as body in UEFITool. The menu items shouldn’t have the color bit depth problem as long as you don’t exceed the file size of the original file size. other than the file size or image format idk it should work or the fr is checking those as well and blocking it.

Is it possible to do this on an AMD MOBO? I think it’s only possible on Intel boards

Yes, it should be possible since the images I want to replace are smaller than the original ones.

Unfortunately my board doesn’t have this function :frowning:

are you replacing the file as body or as is? I know it fails for me if I don’t replace as body. also maure the file doesn’t appear in multiple locations. mobo vendors like to bury duplicates in multiple locations, so may have to try each one until you get the right one. I know with a few of my boards they did the dummy location thing in the bios file structure. they do this for various reasons security, sig check, etc.

Yes, I replaced the body

I tried previous versions but without success. I also tried installing an older version and then a newer version with the modifications. It takes longer to update, but still without success.

In older versions, a different Asus logo was used. I changed the logo in the newer version, which was originally different. The strange thing is that it didn’t change to what I edited but instead to the new version of the BIOS logo

I’ve already searched through the files extracted by PhoenixTool, and the only block where I could find the BIOS images was the one I’m altering [CC5840D2-D8EA-459E-BAF4-349AC710EBBE]. I think EZ Flash is just ignoring the block I modified