[Need help] Reviving bricked Gigabyte B450M-DS3H after bios update

I recently managed to brick my Gigabyte B450M-DS3H v1. I also purchased a CH341A programmer (a black one) and followed that downtowndougbrown post, as well as various others. The BIOS chip on the v1 board is a MX25U12873F which requires 1.8V, so I ordered the adapter as well.

I spent several hours clipping and unclipping the cable to the chip, including connecting the PSU and without the PSU, but I had no luck getting a response. I tried various versions of CH341A Programmer software, also NeoProgrammer and AsProgrammer too, but with no success. I also made my own adapter board that connects a 1 kOhm resistor to pins 3 and 7, so that they can be pulled up and down by the chip rather than being held at 1.8 V (as this chip is also in Quad SPI mode by default, though I couldn’t see a similar warning in the datasheet as in the DTDB post).

As a last ditch effort before buying a new motherboard, I decided to unsolder the chip from the mobo and then connect it directly to the breakout board (see arrow on picture adapter from previous post).

With the chip soldered here, it was immediately detected and correctly identified by NeoProgrammer 2.2.0.10 . N.B. This was without any resistors on the pins 3 and 7, just straight into the 1.8 V translator. It was then simply a case of erasing and flashing the latest bios, and carefully soldering back onto the mobo. Switching on the power, there were a few tense seconds before thankfully the PC posted and I was able to boot.

TL;DR:

1. There is something about the design of these Gigabyte motherboards that make it very hard / impossible to talk the chip while it still on the motherboard.
  2. The MX25U12873F doesn’t seem to require pull-up resistors, i.e. pins 3 and 7 can be held at 1.8 V without issue (in my experience, at least).

Hope this is useful for someone else some time down the line!

Well… seems you’re to new to the subject then, because there’s plenty of other systems/brands out there that requires de-soldering ICs from the mb, this just to point out that its not only GigaByte or the mb model in question, anyway congrats on your recover.