[NVMe Performance] Which is the best NVMe Driver and MB Connection (M.2 vs. PCIe)

Yes, if you use the mod+signed generic ones.

So far so good, installed perfectly.

Now let’s see the performance :slight_smile:

Thanks and good luck updating your BIOS mod section with input from the overclock.net section :wink:

Update:
Pros: Once installed, the system ‘feels’ a tiny bit snappier… But only a feeling :slight_smile:
Cons:
- WD SSD are no longer recognized by WD software (also no temp readouts in Samsung Magician software).
- Drivers seem to generate somewhat more CPU/system activity and higher temps.

Hello everyone,

I just want to ask if the Rampage VI encore can do a raid 0 using non intel raid ssd but rather like the samsung 960 evo plus using RST v17.8 Series (software raid)

Do I need this drivers : >Intel RSTe Storage Drivers & Software Set v6.3.0.1031 if I only use VROC and iNTEL SSD’S correct?

Thanks to all.

@Safado2 :
It is very unlikely, that a Forum member with an X299 chipset mainboard and experience with an Intel RST/RSTe NVMe RAID array will read your post.
Maybe it would be better to send a PM to an experienced users with an X299 chipset system.
Which Intel RAID module versions are within the BIOS of your mainboard? If there should be an appropriate RST RaidDriver, I suggest to to try it yourself. According to my own experiences the Intel RST v17 platform RAID drivers do support an NVMe RAID0 array consisting of non-Intel NVMe SSDs. Contrary to any pure Software RAID you can even boot off it.

@Fernando ,

I decided to RMA my Rampage VI but before then I was using a modded bios with the following:

EFI IRST RAID for SATA - 17.8.3.4687
OROM IRST RAID for SATA - 17.8.3.4687
EFI IRSTe RAID for SATA - 7.5.0.1030
EFI Intel VROC with VMD - 7.5.0.1030
OROM Intel VROC for SATA - 7.0.0.2008

Do you refer to the The lastest RST version was 17.9.1.1009 WHQL that support an NVMEe RAID0 array without using intel NVMe SSDs?

Thanks for your help Fernando.

Edit: Typos.

@Safado2 :
To be on the safe side I would use the latest v17.8 Intel RST BIOS module and the matching Intel RST driver. Both should belong to the v17.8 development branch.

@Fernando ,

Quite right, better using the 17.8 branch.

I also meant to ask you my current conundrum.

I already own a Samsung 970 evo plus 500GB and I was told that the 1TB version of this SSD model is faster than the 500GB one.

Would it matter much if i get just another Samsung evo plus 500GB SSD?
I have read that is good practice to match the same drives specially in raid and ever more when it comes to Raid 0.

It is also a relief that i do not have to buy a VROC key because as far as i understand it is only meant for work with Intel SSDs like the 760p however i ask myself if the 2 Samsung 970 evo plus will be taking advantage of the PCie bus or the DMI, with that said I understood that any Raid SSD that is not Intel will be software based and thus not through the CPU PCIe lanes.

I stand corrected if i am wrong.

Cheers mate.

@Safado2 :
Here is my comment:

1. Provided, that you really want to use an Intel RAID0 array as system drive, I recommend to buy another 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD.
    Reason: If you create a RAID0 array consisting of 2 differently sized SSDs, only a part of the bigger sized SSD will be usable for the data storage and transfer.
  2. Generally you should keep in mind, that a RAID0 array will only boost the performance while reading/writing big sized files (the bigger the files, the better is the processing time). During the normal PC usage you may not even realize a performance difference between a single NVMe SSD and 2 of them combined to a RAID0 array. Besides the doubled risk of a complete date loss in case of a corrupted Array member, this is the main reason why I use a RAID array only for test and benchmark purposes and not for my daily work.
  3. A RAID array, which is managed by the on-board Intel RAID Controller, is not a pure Software RAID. Contrary to a RAID array, which has been created from within Windows using the generic MS in-box storage driver, an Intel RAID array is bootable and will give your system a better performance.

Do you think this difference in performance is so marked even in the chipsets following the test model in question?

@pipes80
To whom is your question addressed and which specific performance difference do you mean?

using a z490 chipset compared to the one you tested, could I find such a marked difference between m2 or pci-e slots?

@pipes80
You should test it yourself. I am not a clairvoyant.

Ok sorry

i have tested nvme sn850 on slot pci express 3 and with slot m2 alwayes pci express 3 because i don’t have a cpu then support pci-e 4
first on m2 socket and second on pci-e 3.0 board

@pipes80
Thanks for having done the benchmark comparison tests. Your results indicate, that in your case the sort of connection (M.2 vs. PCIe) has no noticeable impact on the performance. The measured score differences are within the error of measurement margin.

1 Like

More performance on arch Linux using kdiskmark, it can to be for use an ora driver release with 5.3 kernel version?

My Crucial P3 Plus is running no more than 1.5GB/s. It has to be running at 2.0GB/s on my MSI 970A-G43 PLUS motherboard.

It is attached on a PCI-e 2.0 x4 slot (with adapter).

I read a similar case on another board, and they say it can be a limitation on BIOS. See this link Why is the M2 PCIE slot speed capped to 1.5GBs? VN7-592G-71ZL — Acer Community

Any help?
Thanks

And thats it my friend, what did you expected 2000 to 3000…no way, thats on PCIe 3.0 and the old/new board has to be one with a good hw design…
(Intel…i believe AMD is even worst with old chipsets, my opinion only)

EDIT: Well…sometimes Chinese…get some “kind” of miracles…after all several ICs design and “Branded” drives manufacturing … are co-developed/made around that part of the globe…lol, presumably they will gather all kind of experience on that, besides low cost manufacturing/products.

Oh thanks for the info.
The only question is why with a Chinese branded NVMe I get between 1600MB/s - 1700MB/s and with this Crucial that is faster in all ways only 1576MB/s and no more…

There is another question,
Since I have an MSI GT1030, can get any difference on plug it on PCI-e x4 slot and Crucial P3 Plus on PCI-e x16 slot to get any improvement? Nvidia don’t need x16 since it is PCI-e 3.0 x4