[OFFER] Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P Rev.1.0 BIOS F2g updated+NVMe support

Happy new year to all and I’m happy that at least one more person still uses this motherboard and have the need of a M.2 drive :slight_smile:
The bad thing is the PCI speed (it’s not the maximum available 3.0) and doesn’t perform a fast drive at it’s max. But it works and that’s what matters.
Cheers to @Lost_N_BIOS for the help and to @Fernando for the “home” of this patch.
Cheers and greetings from Greece to all with wishes for a creative and healthy 2019!

Well this is awkward. But I need some help again with the F2g bios.
The stock F1 bios for this mainboard mostly ran fine except for a dual booting/post issue when turbo core boost is disabled, where the system immediately powers off and on once right after you switch it on.
The newer F2g bios had updated support for the last line of FX CPUs alongside fixing this dual booting issue.
But they seem to have messed up the NorthBridge multiplier which worked fine before in F1. Basically you can change the NB multiplier and save the BIOS settings fine but it still runs at stock multiplier in F2g despite the bios menu showing the modified value. (Example it might show as 2200 in bios settings but it will still run at stock multiplier (2000 Mhz))

@vagdesign do you happen to be facing the same issue too?

Is it possible for me to attempt fixing this by modding the bios? I’m rather used to running the NB at 2600 Mhz as it gives a decent enough boost in performance and I’m not sure whether increasing the FSB from 200 to 260 to circumvent the multiplier issue is a good idea :slight_smile:

@animeanie - That’s something you’d likely need to contact Gigabyte directly about, they will send you fixed beta BIOS probably.
Seems this might be FX CPU limitation based on SKU - http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2…ridge-freq.html

Do you have flash programmer? If yes, do you know how much difference there is between this board and the UD3?

I read “Enable Turbo” fixes the dual boot issue on first BIOS. I also see there is a F2e BIOS somewhere for this board, maybe it works better than F2g for you?

Well it boots without any issues, just doesn’t apply the updated NB setting. But since this issue wasn’t there in the stock F1 bios, I’m not sure if it’s a CPU limitation.
UD3 is more like the much earlier version of the UD3P. the UD3/P line was widely recommended for overclockers because only those have 8+2 phase VRMs among the 970 boards.
I have zero knowledge of flash programmers. Though I have no inhibitions following tutorials/directions either unless it’s really complex.

Disabling turbo was recommended for more stable OC. Enabling turbo (and setting the turbo multiplier same as the core multiplier) did fix that dual boot issue in F1. But it was more of a workaround and for some reason it lowered my Cinebench score by roughly 4-5% so the fix in F2g was rather convenient. But F2g came with this NB multiplier bug :frowning:
I’ve searched for a F2e download the past hour to no avail. Seems it has been completely replaced by F2g. Odd

If possible though, I’d first like to make sure that it’s not a problem with my particular board only.
If this can’t be fixed, I’ll probably have to decide to either go with a modded F1 bios with Nvme support or stick with this modded F2g and do BCLK overclocking instead.

@animeanie - Are you certain it wasn’t there with F1? If yes, then maybe it is a BIOS/Agesa issue or microcode issue. It’s not your board only, did you see the link I gave above, it’s same board, or was that your post at Tomshardware?

Flash programmer is hardware (CH341A + SOIC8 test clip cable = around $5 total on ebay) you have to order and wait 3-5 weeks for delivery, but since you say the UD3 is a much lesser board, it’s probably not a good idea to crossflash for your board anyway

Do you have this issue with F2g with stock BIOS and with one I modified with updated CPU microcode too?

Here is F2e BIOS - http://download.gigabyte.cn/FileList/Bio…0a-ud3p_f2e.zip

No that TH post in the link has a completely different line of mainboards (D3/D3P/D3SP are lower end 970 boards with only 4+1 phase VRMs).
And yes I reverted back to F1 to double check. (The NB multiplier issue is there only in F2g and the modded F2g bios).

Flashing F2e didn’t give the NB multiplier issue but overclocking or underclocking the core clock is giving boot failure.

I have contacted gigabyte support for a fix.

@Lost_N_BIOS Hey Gigabyte support has responded rather quickly and have shared the latest F2n Bios dated last October.
Flashed it and tested everything including overclocks. Seems to have zero issues so far.
Sorry to trouble you again on this, but can this please be modded for NvMe support? And the microcodes and hidden bios settings if it’s alright with you.

970AUD3P.zip (2.78 MB)

Hello again to all!
I downloaded the one you posted @animeanie and modded the same way as I did on the old one.
I’m attaching it and will flash it when @Lost_N_BIOS can do his tricks and add those extra features on the new modded one :slight_smile:

I hope this will work fine and probably since you’ve contacted Gigabyte, to link them here so they can include the modded BIOSes
to the official motherboard page, so others can get’em (with credits to @Fernando for the provided place of course!)

Let me know if it works fine for you, I have 32GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz and the AMD FX 8370 clocked at 4.3Ghz and turbo at 4.5Ghz since day 1.
Stable setup and triple boot (1 M.2 Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, and 2 SSDs).

Cheers and greetings from Greece!

970AUD3P_NVME.zip (2.8 MB)

@animeanie - great they have provided a newer fixed BIOS for you, very quickly too! Thanks for sharing the file for others

Yes, I can mod this BIOS again, thanks @vagdesign - will look back in thread to see what all needs enabled again and get you guys mod BIOS shortly

*Edit - @vagdesign @animeanie here is mod F2n-NVME BIOS, updated uCodes x2 + settings enabled previously
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…658317817893049

I’ve flashed the latest BIOS and re-configured my overclocked settings. All works fine so far.
Do we know what Gigabyte has changed in the last 4 years of the BIOS?
f2g > f2n are many letters in between we don’t know what they tried/changed :slight_smile:

Thanks again @Lost_N_BIOS for the pit-stop like edit and upload :smiley:
Cheers!

@vagdesign - You’re welcome, and thanks for report back all is working OK! I didn’t dig too deep, so not sure what all they’ve changed.
I did notice they updated two of the CPU microcodes since last mod I did for you (Last time I had to update x4, this BIOS I only updated x2 microcodes)

Was unable to test anything over the weekend. Now everything seems to be working well. Overclocks are stable too. Thanks a ton @Lost_N_BIOS

@vagdesign I wondered about the same because they jumped from g to n. Well every known issue in F1,F2e and F2g seems to have been fixed for sure. Played around a lot with the bios settings and ran tests all day. The only unusual thing i observed is a tiny performance hit (~ 0.5%) in Cinebench when using the bios with all enabled microcodes compared with the official F2n version. Not really a big deal. There’s another tiny hit (~ 0.5%) between F2g and F2n so maybe it’s two microcodes affecting Cinebench results each time lol

@animeanie - good everything is working well! And you’re welcome

Hi!
What about Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P rev. 2.0? Exist modded bios for this mobo, or work ok on rev. 1.0 update?

Hello @marcopolo7 ,
You can try and mod it yourself, it’s easy if you read the steps and takes about 20mins total.
If you can’t, ask from the forum members to help you out or maybe someone to have done it already!

I did it cause I know the motherboard is old enough and there won’t be any “enthusiast” or modder to do it, so I decide to try myself.
You will feel better afterwards :wink: Of course if @Lost_N_BIOS have time, can help out with unlocking “secrets” of your revision.

Good luck and when you do it, post it here and I will edit the title to include both revisions of our motherboard.

PS: If you’re adventurous enough, try to flash my BIOS and in case it doesn’t work, revert to the original (Motherboard have dual BIOS chip for safety).
Cheers.

VAG

Thanks @vagdesign @marcopolo7 - here is thread for Rev2 board - [OFFER] Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P rev2.x BIOS Mod NVME Added

This is not the motherboard model, the one we got it the GA-970A-UD3P and not the DS3P…
All manufacturers should try and name their products with a better way.

Hi, for my motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 will work with this modified bios ? 970A-UD3P-F2g-Mod.zip or I should modify my bios with nvme module from this bios or I must to search compatible module. Thanks for help

Bonjour de france
Compatible with :

970A-DS3
Fabricant Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Numéro de série To be filled by O.E.M.
Nom du BIOS BIOS Date: 10/07/14 20:05:06 Ver: 04.06.05
Vendeur du BIOS American Megatrends Inc.
Version du SMBIOS FEg
Date du BIOS 07/10/2014