[OFFER] MAXIMUS VI IMPACT v1603 compl. mod

If you get a K variant chip, then the v25 microcode (Spectre/Meltdown vulnerabilities fix) should work as it does in my Z87-Deluxe. In that case the first bios in the first post should get you to where you want to go.

Intel is occasionally really goofy with their microcode updates, but I’m delighted we found the one that will work for you!

BTW thanks for the kind donation offer…however in life’s journey we just try to improve other’s lives.
Just pay it forward and improve someone else’s life, within your abilities.

If you insist on donating, then do so with the donate button at the bottom; which keeps this website open and enables a platform for all the towering contributors to help others. (ie Sonix, CodeRush,Fernando, Pacman, Lost N Bios, plutomaniac, etc. who do the “heavy lifting” around here.)

Cheers and much success!

My thanks to all the Win Raid contributors.

It is your enthusiasm that make this forum what it is, and the very reason that it continues to succeed.

@hancor - sometimes ME can also lock out overclocking, compare OC capable BIOS ME in FITc, and then make new BIOS same settings in it’s ME (ICC profiles, make all settings match)

@ Lost 'N Bios

Too right, the Intel ME is the MINIX black box of computing, even Google doesn’t like it!
Cue the sound of whirring black helicopters and the dulcet refrain of conspiracy theorists.
Fire up yer ME Cleaner firmware!

How Intel wants to backdoor every computer in the world | Intel Management Engine explained
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr-9aCMUXzI

Replace Your Exploit-Ridden Firmware with Linux - Ronald Minnich, Google
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iffTJ1vPCSo

Cheers and enjoy!

@hancor - yes, I know all about those concerns people have (The bigger issue is Windows, but only using Linux can get you past that) but none of that is what I meant.
Do you know what I meant really, or do you want me to show you some example images of where overclocking can be fully enabled/disabled at the ME level, blck OC disabled etc? In the same application, you can disable ME totally, including that backdoor aspect, with a single setting being disabled

Yes I got that the Flash Image Tool (FIT) needs to compare the ME region with the microcode so the ME and CPU all “sing out of the same song sheet”.

At the risk of hi-jacking my ‘own thread’ should we continue, perhaps we should create a separate topic on overclocking at the ME level and/or disabling ME totally.

Parenthetically, one of the reasons I’m currently putting together a Threadripper 2950X build.
While this is not a bulletproof sidestep, it minimizes attack vectors.

A good overview of the industry at the following link:
Firmware is the new Software — Trammell Hudson, Two Sigma — Platform Security Summit 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZfS00LZ70

Gets a little geeky, but shows why the server world and increasingly the end user want more firmware transparency.

Open Source Firmware the way of the future…?

Cheers

[quote="hancor, post:24, topic:33274"] @ Lost 'N Bios

Too right, the Intel ME is the MINIX black box of computing, even Google doesn't like it!
Cue the sound of whirring black helicopters and the dulcet refrain of conspiracy theorists.
Fire up yer ME Cleaner firmware!

How Intel wants to backdoor every computer in the world | Intel Management Engine explained
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr-9aCMUXzI

Replace Your Exploit-Ridden Firmware with Linux - Ronald Minnich, Google
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iffTJ1vPCSo

Cheers and enjoy!

[/quote]

@ hancor & Lost 'N Bios

Interesting points regarding Intel ME!

Hancor, to update;

Have tried the bios now for a few days.

Everything is running fine; tried to install my NVME Drive but no dice". However, this is not due to the bios as I tried the drive in a newer 'coffee lake' based system and even that does not recognise the drive. It does not power on so i assumed it is faulty and returned it (RMA). Will be a few days to get a replacement.

After a few days on this bios, one thing i have noticed is my current Samsung SSD Evo 850 is running a little slower in the normal AHCI Mode.

(Old Bios --Score wise- Anvil usually would report totals of 5200 -5400).
(New Bios - Score Wise-- Anvil reports totals no higher than 4900)

This is confirmed via the scores i am getting on CrystalDisk Mark too..

This is the case even after having erased the SSD and doing a fresh install of Windoze and trying out various AHCI drivers as recommended by Winraid. Have tried various drivers from RST 11 series up to RST(e)14 series..

Having said that, i do not think it makes any difference really, it is just a benchmark and to be honest, i do not really 'feel' the difference; I just thought it was interesting to see that.

I am sure that once i get the NVME Drive installed when it arrives along with the first bios you kindly provided, I am going to experience a BIG difference! Looking forward to it actually .

Check your SSDs for firmware updates as well.
I just updated the driver as well for the NVMe from v2.xx to v3.xx on the Samsung 950 Pro, and ran the trim function for the Samsung utility. I got about a 10% performance benchmark bump over the old driver.

Cheers and much success!

Have not tried that. Thanks , i will search for an update.

BTW microcode v 27 fixes Microarchitectural Data Sampling (or MDS) side-channel vulnerabilities in Intel CPUs in addition to Spectre/Meltdown vulnerabilties.

Edited Bios/UEFI uploaded May 15, 2019

Been away for quite a while but logged in today to enquire about possibility of patched MDS Bios and lo and behold, there is already the bios uploaded.
Thank you so much for editing and uploading this bios back in May 2019. PS… It works great!

@rukhie

Okay, here is the upper updated BIOS/UEFI, most likely the final one (microcode v28) with Intel moving on after all the Meltdown/Spectre/MDS goof ups.

EFI/ROM updates:

M6I_EFI_ROM_UPDATES.png

CPU microcode update:

I trust this will work out just as well for you [latest edit October 10, 2020]

Cheers and enjoy!

M6I.rar (4.75 MB)

hancor, thank you once again . may the freedom of this community forever be yours!

will flash v28 and report back in a few ticks…

hancor, I am happy to state that your v28 modded Bios is also running great on my Asus maximum Impact VI Board.
keeping it alive! Thanks once again for your kind help :slight_smile:

Hey guys, would it be possible to get the latest modded bios with the ME neutered/nuked ?

I nuked ME in the latest official bios and my Impact VI works great, I would love to try the latest modded bios with a nuked ME if possible ( @hancor pretty please ? :smiley: ).

I’m running a 4790k if this is important.

@rukhie @sunfire

Minor edit to network EFI and re-uploaded latest edits are found in post #1 and #32 of this thread.

Not sure what you mean by “nuking ME” as “nuking” usually implies DESTROY WITH EXTEME PREJUDICE…

I mean i removed it from the BIOS, i.e. ran the me_cleaner python script on it (from here), the only ME related partition left is the FTPR partition and on it there are only two modules left : ROMP and BUP, everything else is removed. This is as close as possible to nuking ME and still have a functional system afaik :).

Would it be possible to get your latest edit with the ME treated with the same medicine ? :slight_smile: I tried running the me_cleaner python script on your latest edit and the script says it doesn’t recognize the image format.

Thank you !

Hi Hancor, i just subscribed because i have the same issue as Rukhie: with all your firmwares all my overclock options are "grayed", the only working bios is the v23 in the quoted post. I have a 4790k.

Please can you re-upload the previous version as in post #34? I missed it and the one in #1 gives me this issue.

Thank you very much!

@VirusITA @ruhkie @sunfire

I will try a rework, as I had some memory problems and tried a different method which resolved the memory problems.

Detect mode:

Asus_Maximus_VI_v1603_detect.png

EFI ROM stock: Microcode stock:

Asus_Maximus_VI_Impact_ v1603_stock.png

Asus_Maximus_VI_Impact_ v1603_stock_microcode.png

EFI ROM update: Microcode update:

Asus_Maximus_VI_Impact_ v1603_update_EFI_ROM.png

Asus_Maximus_VI_Impact_ v1603_update_microcode.png

Manual MMTool NVMe insert:

Asus_Maximus_VI_Impact_ v1603_manual_NVMe_mod.png

Give this file a try and let us know how it works out…

Merry Christmas!

Hans

M6I.rar (4.74 MB)

Thank you very much Hans, i works flawlessly! I can see the microcode 28 and my overclock options are back!

Thank you for keeping this old but gold motherboard up to date :slight_smile: