PCIe bifurcation/ delinking - GA-Z77m-d3h

hi, im ready to help u build new bios mod, i havent this motherboard and i need ur help
1)install official bios f15a
2)download ME 8 1.5MB v8.1.70.1590
download ME System Tools v8 r3 - (2017-11-19)
4)copy 8.1.70.1590_1.5MB_PRD_RGN.bin to C:\Bios\cpu\Intel ME System Tools v8 r3\FWUpdate\Local-Win64
open cmd as administrator and write
cd C:\Bios\cpu\Intel ME System Tools v8 r3\FWUpdate\Local-Win64
FWUpdLcl64.exe -F 8.1.70.1590_1.5MB_PRD_RGN.bin
5)reboot pc
6)open again cmd as administrator
cd C:\Bios\cpu\Intel ME System Tools v8 r3\Flash Programming Tool\Windows64
fptw64 -d backup.bin -bios

now u need upload backup bios for me, this backup already with me firmware 8.1.70.1590
i will download it and update ur bios for u :slight_smile:

Heyy @qus1 just busy with work. As soon as I dont need PC 100% will run my ME by you and update as instructed. Should be by the weekend.Thank you

i havent access to pm, u need update ME firmware before backup bios, because after u will update ME firmware u will have bios with new ME

ok updated, but my bios is smaller now?
C:\ESD\Intel ME System Tools v8 r3\Intel ME System Tools v8 r3\Flash Programming Tool\Windows64>fptw64 -d backup.bin -bios

Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version: 8.1.60.1561
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2014, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Platform: Intel(R) Z77 Express Chipset
Reading HSFSTS register… Flash Descriptor: Valid

— Flash Devices Found —
W25Q64BV ID:0xEF4017 Size: 8192KB (65536Kb)

- Reading Flash [0x800000] 6144KB of 6144KB - 100% complete.
Writing flash contents to file "backup.bin"…

Memory Dump Complete

backup.zip (2.73 MB)

ok i extracted the ME also
C:\ESD\Intel ME System Tools v8 r3\Intel ME System Tools v8 r3\Flash Programming Tool\Windows64>fptw64 -d me.bin -me

— Flash Devices Found —

- Reading Flash [0x200000] 2044KB of 2044KB - 100% complete.
Writing flash contents to file "me.bin"…

Memory Dump Complete
FPT Operation Passed

me.zip (1.18 MB)

outimage.zip (3.9 MB)

I really still dont understand wot ur doing or wot u want to do…sincerely strange.
Ok m8 wot u did was dumping only the bios region, thats why is smaller (-bios) switch used.
Dump the full spi image with FPT -d mydump.bin

bios mods
me firmware 8.1.70.1590 update ahci + microcode cpu + added nvme module + mod if u need x4 speed in pci5 slot
for flash
FPTW64 -f modNVME_NEWZ77MD3H.15a or FPTW64 -f modNVME_NEWZ77MD3H.15a-pci5-x4speed

modNVME_NEWZ77MD3H.zip (3.9 MB)

modNVME_NEWZ77MD3H-x4speed.zip (3.9 MB)

Dear master @MeatWar and Sir @qus1 ,

Thank you again for being here.

To answer your question @MeatWar just want gpu in main pcie slot to work (cpu x16) with m.2 ( ich/pantherpoint x4) - only one works at a time.

So just to give some feedback on what happened on Tuesday-
After updating intel ME , i then customized my pch according to 1.5mb FW bring up guide 8.1.0.1- this disabled the blk
I was scared to try the adapter since it properly fucks the pc up- my bios was set as other OS, and all on uefi only and as instructed.

-So i insert the adapter and i literally only got the pc to work like 15min ago :’( --( i think if i had the OS on win 8 whql it would atleast have read the m.2 adaptor and ignored gpu like before.
-It ended up in a bios corruption loop because the bios refused to save settings- it would just stay on then do the short clicks until you power off.

literally did not want to change from IDE/save bios settings with or without gpu for like 4 hours.:frowning: was so scared, thought i lost this baby and i shorted something.

eventually i had to restore a bios which had a cheksum of 800A?? something like that, Think its the bios backup i made before doing the ME update.

Im thinking to save this bios now and change the default sata settings to ahci in ambios 4.5 just so this issue is avoided in future…

Sir @qus1 thanks for going out of your way.
I’ll just let the pc be operational for now , will try your mods as soon as my replacement m.2 adaptor comes through(they sent a damaged one, its this adaptor: https://www.vantecusa.com/products_detail.php?p_id=259)

Please could you advise if my issue could be any of the following:

A)-pcie to pci bridge softstrap enabled bt needs to be disabled even though mobo has pci-to-pci bridge? I think this is causing all this based on what ive learnt?
on mine its on pcie slot 4 ( the soft strap is set to port 1-4 : 1x4 )
[[File:2021-06-06 03_57_25-.png|none|auto]]

-the device class of pcie express 1 where it located is :Device Class: PCI-to-PCI Bridge - should be DMI?
[[File:2021-06-06 04_04_14-Greenshot.png|none|auto]]

B) i need to correct my VSCC tables so that my Chipset DMI x4 is exactly that and not what HWinfo shows for J6B1 ( also so that PEG remains gen3 x16 only and cannot do x8 which means its in crossfire mode)
[[File:2021-06-06 04_12_09-Window.png|none|auto]]

[[File:mrPlampHWback2oldbios.zip]]

Do i just remove and just leave the vcss tables alone?
[[File:2021-06-06 05_37_55-Window.png|none|auto]]
[[File:2021-06-06 11_40_22-7-series-chipset-pch-datasheet (1).pdf (SECURED) - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (32-b.png]]
i’m gong to update your @qus1 's pcxiex4 version bios and just test out some performance !

Thank you and godbless brothers <3

@qus1 hey man the bios bricked until i loaded backip bios.

I mistakenly locked pdr but managed to atleast get bios and ME working again. Not sure how to undo :
latform: Intel(R) Z77 Express Chipset

— Flash Devices Found —

— Flash Image Information –
Signature: VALID
Number of Flash Components: 1
Component 1 - 8192KB (65536Kb)
Regions:
Descriptor - Base: 0x000000, Limit: 0x000FFF
BIOS - Base: 0x200000, Limit: 0x7FFFFF
ME - Base: 0x001000, Limit: 0x1FFFFF
GbE - Not present
PDR - Not present
Master Region Access:
CPU/BIOS - ID: 0x0000, Read: 0x0B, Write: 0x0A
ME - ID: 0x0000, Read: 0x0D, Write: 0x0C
GbE - ID: 0x0118, Read: 0x08, Write: 0x08

Total Accessable SPI Memory: 8192KB, Total Installed SPI Memory : 8192KB

FPT Operation Passed

C:\ESD\Intel ME System Tools v8 r3\Intel ME System Tools v8 r3\Flash Programming Tool\Windows64>fptw64 -f outimage1.bin

— Flash Devices Found —

PDR Region does not exist.
GBE Region does not exist.

Error 25: The host CPU does not have write access to the target flash area. To enable write access for this operation you must modify the descriptor settings to give host access to this region.

The error u got is correct since the bios file has bios lock strings enable to access regions, u can unlock it if u want and flash it back, and those errors are gone (Provided that u never flash back the original Gigabyte bios update file)

So… did u manage to test the mod provided by qus1, regarding the conjunction of PCIe3.0x16 GPU + PCIe2.0x4 M.2 Adaptor?
Before it broke…

Last post u said u were going to update "his mod bios file"…i n wot matter do u mean as "Update"?

hi again, i have z68p-ds3 and method works for me. i cant to add link to thread idk why but u can find manual. open google and write "z68p-ds3 bios win-raid" thread NVMe module integration to Gigabyte Z68P-DS3, message #80
for edit bios in Flash Image Tool we need to change in hex 00 00 to 80 01 if this is doesnt works for ur bios i dont know anymore) sorry)

@qus1
@mrplamp

Ive been following this subject and went reviewing that Z68 thread…
I dont want to be negative on this and i do understand both ur cases upon ur needs, in theory… u can say that the only change on both chipsets Z68/Z77 is the CPU PCIex2.0/3.0 but
indeed it shouldn’t affect the PCH PCIe 2.0 so u can say that this GA-Z77M-D3H suffers from same principle as the Z68…now u can observe by block diagram of the GA-Z77 the “Intel Standard design” that PCIe CPU is independent of PCIe PCH but…
has Gigabyte done it with a few abbreviations" to this…for their AMD Crossfire support?
The Z68 pch PCIe settings was indeed set to x1 on some models, the efforts between Gloobox and Lost_N_Bios were successful, but mrplamp board has fewer PCIe slots and its suppose to support Crossfire…
Gloobox issue was different, the 2 PCIe x16 slots to CPU was doing the rigth split (PCIe2.0 2x8) and we wanted to use the 2nd PCIEx16 slot…not a PCH slot, so in final he got the GPU x8 and the NVMe x4 as intended.
mrplamp wants to use a PCH slot but Gigabyte uses also that slot for Crossfire…this is the dilema as his got fewer slots implemented in the board design

Now back to mrplamp issue, by editing the PCIe from ME region bootstraps, u should check before what devices/ports will be disable (By block diagram u can see LAN PHY/PCIe x1 slot) but be aware the critical here that break the system if affected,
is the PCI bridge. Even so if it works as did for qus1…still that issue u refereed to AMD crossfire.
Now again…i didnt saw anything in ME FW image or bios visible/hidden settings that by AUTO consideres the occupied PCI2.0 x4 with a PCIe card, to be a GPU in Crossfire mode.

To my final statement, there is the option to force PCIe x16 slots to GEN3 instead of AUTO…could this mislead and trick the system…probably not. Does another M.2 card adapter give a different signal to slot and the system sees him a a standard PCIe card and not GPU…
This setting can be deeply encoded in the firmware of Gigabyte and we cannot see him… so mrplamp try the PCH strap edit in the FW image, if doesn’t work as ur needs…we can blame Gigabyte design in this mATX board…or not as it was built upon their desire.

Ill stop following this issue now as i do not have anything new to add or a board of same model to explore deeper.

Hi @MeatWar i flashed his x4 bios but then the pc refused to start until i used backup bios , honestly bro i was so scared i thought 100% the pc was gone and backup bios wotnt even load, the cpu fan wasnt even working??

The F15a backup bios is really bad causing alot of time to get it to work, im going to probably go back to f13. il redelete the dxe and reinsert nvme.
Also the nvme module will only work when i select whql otherwise it will go into an hour long struggle to even boot with ram changes being necessary.

hi @qus1 will have a read this weekend. just hope i can unlock again to use fptw64.exe flash to descriptor region, is it even necessary if i have bios and me access?

Thank you for your heroism Master @MeatWar .

Ill pvt you with my success however long it may take me to level up! i have another m.2 adaptor ill try this weekend.

I’ll find the time to contribute all my findings an effort once concluded, im buying the m.2 to sata as soon as its on special and putting this to bed also.

<3 all the best bro

now i can add links
for edit bios in fit u can check this NVMe module integration to Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 legacy award bios help need. (6)
about what did u need to edit in fit u can read here NVMe module integration to Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 legacy award bios help need. (5)
for fast repair bios will be good to have ch341a+sop8 buy in aliexpress
i use default bios flash, next step update me firmware, and next step flash bios mods its always working for z68

@qus1 ,

Think i fnially found the reason why.

These lunatics at gigabyte couldnt even code the correct bus or device into their cross fire attempt . The two other PEG’s which ware linked to the GPU and its lanes are not even located on my pc, those decvices dont even exist.

2021-06-15 01_04_03-AMIBCP v4.55 - [Z77MD3HfF.bin].png

Hi @qus1

bro, ever since locking my master region my sound has stopped working.

I thought it was because i only added the vscc table which was applicable to my spi chip but then i reverted the bios to the normal one and my sound still refuses to work!!

I reinstalled amd drivers and standard drivers but still :’( wtf! i can’t believe it man, feels like i need to do a windows 10 reset or remove my gpu and ram and retry adding them- perhaps the i/o hub is f#$king up the dmi lanes for sound??? i dont know.

Device manager says it is working normally? so im not sure, im thinking it is the gpu not sitting properly or something because i reverted all things back to correct driver? im not sure but i wasted another two weekends trying to fix this, man i suck so bad.

Hi @mrplamp,

I got notice of your efforts thanks to @MeatWar , after the question I raised yesterday night about trying to get a 16x 3.0 PCIe to 4x NVMe adapter to work on my GA-Z77M-D3H (saddly it seems it’s not possible with the adapter I got on AliExpress).

I wish to know if, after all this time, you’ve have any kind of success with your big amount of effort.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Pere