[Problem] Change of the MB’s Serial Number

@Fernando Hello Fernando. I read the guide and i know the risks of bricking in my situation.
First i used the AFUWINx64 tool to DUMP my bios and it outputted a ROM dump. I went into HxD to change the desired serials (for a hwid based software i need to use but changed pc). Then i saved it and it is still ROM. So I know you need a old version of the tool to perform /GAN. However i am not clear with what you said with flashing the original then then the modded one with FLASHBACK (the problem is that my asus Z790 prime does not have the flashback feature/button) how would i go about this? Should i just do the gan command and then restart and flash the rom? (coverted to cap of course). The AFUDOS partapplies to my confusion too.

@ben333 Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!
Please re-read the chapter regarding the AFUWin64 method. Where did you find the word “FLASHBACK” there?
Maybe you mixed it with the Flashrom method, which is described within the Annex of the Guide and another option for users of an ASUS mainboard without the USB Flashback option.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you for the warm welcome Fernando. My apologies, seems like i did mix it up with the first one. So far this is what i have in place.

1. Since i am changing the serials of my motherboard from the one i have now to a new one, how would using a new cap file directly from asus work(since it does not contain my current serials and is inclusive to all people who download it)? The serials i have right now i dumped into a rom file, however is that not CAP. What im confused on is this part

Blockquote Flash the original BIOS by running the following Command Prompt (as Admin):
afuwinx64.exe .CAP
Remove the capsule header from the modded *.CAP BIOS file and save the modded BIOS as *.ROM file.
The removal of the capsule header can be done by several BIOS tools. Here is the way how to do it by using the latest UEFITool version<

Would this mean i could skip this step since i already have the modded dumped rom file? Or is my AMI supposed to dump a cap since the beginning?

edit: understood it worked out for me thanks

@ben333
This thread has been designed for users, who have modded their mainboard BIOS by adding, removing or updating certain BIOS modules and want to get this modded BIOS properly flashed.
Users, who want to change the mainboard specific Serial Numbers (e.g. to circumvent the ban of a certain Forum/Community), will not get any support within this Forum.

Just for your information:

1. The BIOS files , which are offered by ASUS for the public (as capsuled *.CAP file or as not capsuled *.ROM file) do not contain any mainboard specific Serial Number.
    Consequence: Any flash of the original or modified BIOS file (with or without the capsule header) will not touch the Serial Number of the in-use mainboard.
  2. Besides the “BIOS Region” and the “ME Region” the mainboard specific Serial Numbers are stored within the BIOS Chip as “Serial Peripheral Interface” (SPI). So only a backup (dump) of the complete SPI will contain the mainboard specific Serial Numbers.

Well youre right i give up. Aptio/Afu bios wont support afuwin from my testing only asus Ami(5.XX) Mainboards from my understanding so i have 0 chance anyways

Is APTIO V flashing completely deprecated since i saw a guide on it but they said its dangerous to use now? Now for sure i know that AMI mainboards that support AFUWIN with /GAN can for sure support it but not APTIO. I am not asking for a guide or any steps just curious at this point.
Context: I was trying to change my HWID serials to my orignal one to unlock my logged in software but obviously that is against the rules, I just want to know if this is even possible so i dont waste too much time and sanity from my mind. Really have no choice left in but buying a new motherboard which is never happening, so if anyone knows let me know please i will learn everything and how if i know its possible

As Fernando already told you, we don’t support such actions in this forum, regardless of the users sincerity on the matter that urges.

Just want to correct you on this “AMI vs Aptio”…
AMI is the company, Aptio its their product line and there’s no AMI mainboards.
This is a company that provides a product to manufacturers and not directly to final users.

Now regarding your issue, there’s plenty of other places on the web that deals with this, ill not link none here but i do believe you’re not using a search engine correctly… when searching for the right terms, you should try again.

@ben333 @MeatWar
To make it easier for future visitors of this Forum to find this discussion I have put the related posts into a separate thread and hope, that this is ok for you.
If you should not like the thread title I have chosen, don’t hesitate to change it by editing the first post.
Greetings
Dieter

Greetings, Fernando. I couldnt find anywhere online for Aptio bios flashing modded rom. Could i guess FREEDOS is the only way here? I know you guys arent going to help me but am i at least correct on freedos