[PROBLEM] Flashing a modded ASRock Z370 MB BIOS

@thonga4 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

I have moved your request into this thread, because it contains a possible solution for your problem.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@thonga4 - do everything exactly same as mentioned in post #2, except you need this V12 Intel System Tools package instead of the V11 linked above
https://mega.nz/#!6Mc1GYKA!O4n49LxU-mPxV…Ctu1INumxasmRTk

sorry ,the fpt link don’t work ,can you send it to my email ,thanks

@naonao5321 - above link works fine, if you have issue try refreshing your IP, or do not use a proxy then refresh the page, or try another browser.
If you still cannot get it I will upload a copy to a free file host (tell me your preferred file host that I can upload to for free, otherwise I will choose one)

You should edit out that email, unless you don’t care about tons of spam

Hi there again,

just got my new ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7 today and tried to update latest BIOS v3.10 with latest UBU (as i always did with my ASRock Z270 Super Carrier w/o any problems, evan when flashing).
But when i try to flash it through “Instant flash” i allways get the message “Secure flash check fail!”. What am i missing? Or is it possible, that ASRock has changed their Capsule-Method once again and we need to patch this with a newer fix?
I read the whole thread but could not find any post mention this behaviour.

Anyone who is able to patch latest ASRock Z370 BIOS and got this flashed to their MoBos successfully?

PS: tried it with older UBU1.69.xx and with latest UBU1.70.rc8 - also tried the method mentioned here.

Anyone interested in removing the newest ASRock protection, as described in the post above? I have a general idea on what to patch, but I will need some brave volunteers. There are some caveats, however:
- if you are a volunteer, there is no guarantee on the safety of your board. I might find a solution, or I might serve you a “well done” board-steak.
- it will not work like the previous patch. It will be a two-step solution: first (one-time) you have to flash a patched image with Intel FPT, then you can flash any modded image with Instant Flash.
- the patch can be added to UBU, but it will have to be applied on every modded image. A vanilla (non-patched) Instant Flash module will lock your BIOS again.
- basically, it will patch the Instant Flash module found on the BIOS to ignore the signature fail. As long as a patched module is on the BIOS chip itself, you can flash any image.
- there is no time estimation on when the patch will be offered. I have a general idea on the patch, but I haven’t really narrowed it down to the final bytes. Maybe a few days or a week, if I’m in the mood and my schedule is available.

@lordkag
"shut up and take my money…" :wink:
or perhaps: descripe me to your list. Means i am willing to help to get that restriction fixed.

@MDoehler
There are a few things to check before moving on:
- DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE RISKS INVOLDED? I write in all caps because it is a serious matter. Despite my best intentions and my research, things can very well go south and you might end up with an expensive brick. Remember that I patch a firmware flasher to ignore some safety/security measures.
- Do you have an ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Professional Gaming i7 with the latest BIOS, which is 3.20 at the time of this post?
- Can you flash a modified image with Intel FPT or by any other method? We need a way to flash a patched Instant Flash module.

If we can proceed, these are the steps:
1. Flash the latest official unmodified BIOS from ASRock with Instant Flash. We need to rule out any bugs in the official firmware.
2. Dump your current BIOS with FPT using the command "fptw64 -D bios_full.bin" and also "fptw64 -BIOS -D bios_rgn.bin". Keep them safe, put them on some external flash storage.
3. Using the files from the point above and the attached archive, run the following commands: "UEFIPatch.exe bios_rgn.bin patches1.txt -o bios_rgn_p1.bin" and also "UEFIPatch.exe bios_full.bin patches1.txt -o Z37_p1_3.20".
4. Run the command "fptw64 -BIOS -F bios_rgn_p1.bin".
5. Shutdown the computer.
6. Enter Instant Flash and try to flash a modified image that previously gave you an error. Remember to apply the patch using "UEFIPatch.exe your_bios_file.bin patches1.txt -o your_bios_file_patched.bin"
7. If unsuccesful, repeat steps 3-6 while replacing patches1.txt with patches2.txt and bios_rgn_p1.bin with bios_rgn_p2.bin and also Z37_p1_3.20 with Z37_p2_3.20
8. If unsuccesful, repeat steps 3-6 while replacing patches1.txt with patches3.txt and bios_rgn_p1.bin with bios_rgn_p3.bin and also Z37_p1_3.20 with Z37_p3_3.20
9. Report the outcome. If all patches are unsuccesful, provide text and/or pictures of the messages that appear on screen during a normal Instant Flash and one during the security error.

ASRock_Test.rar (1.51 MB)

Any help with flashing a modded BIOS on an Intel s2600cp2j? I’m getting a security integrity check error during flash. I’m going the BIOS by booting into EFI shell.

For Intel you have to dump the BIOS with programmer, modify that, then program back with programmer.

@lordkag
I UNDERSTAND THE RISKS INVOLVED.
also i have latest unmodified BIOS 3.30 to flash
and YES i can flash un-/modified BIOS with FPT to the board.

I will try your steps the comming weekend and will let you know the results.
Also i have DUAL BIOS and flashprogrammer, if something went wrong. Also i have warranty on the board… so if it might brick, i will send back for RMA :wink:

If you have programmer RMA will never be needed for a bad BIOS flash related issue

Any solution for AMD platforms? FPT seems to be Intel specific.

Please post your exact board model so someone can check for you. You already tried running BIOS through UBU and saving without any edits and it wont flash?

ASRock X370 Professional Gaming.

I doubt it will. I guess there’s some kind of signature. It would also give a version error if the same version is attempted to be flashed.

@Mangix - you can’t just doubt, you have to try since that is the usual way to get around the signature. Only recently, and maybe only this board/chipset so far, UBU method does not work.

Open BIOS in UBU, let it scan, hit next, then hit zero to save as “Mod_BIOSName” then test that in flash (Rename to original name)

For the same version stuff, flash back to one older stock BIOS first, that should solve that issue.

In the end, if you cannot get it, I can help you do via FPT

Just to inform, my ASRock H370M-ITX/ac also gives "Secure flash check fail" error when trying to flash modded bios with Instant flash.

@twometres - did you run through UBU without edits, or with edits, and then save as mod_bios etc and try flashing? if yes, then your model is affected too and you will have to try lordkag’s fix.
Or, I can help you flash via FPT if you need? If you want to know how to do that, let me know and I will get your BIOS and show you the way
In general, this is the way, but if you need me to help you get all the needed specifics to use for that method I can do for you (Find ME version, so you get correct FPT to use, find what your BIOS needs efi file named to, and get you the BIOS and SMI lock variables.)

I took the latest official bios (H37MIA3.00) and updated microcode (no other edits) to it with UBU, saved as ‘mod_H37MIA3.00’, renamed back to ‘H37MIA3.00’ and tried to flash it and got that error. I just tried the same without any edits - and I got the secure flash check error also.

But currently I don´t need to flash any modded bios to my board because it officially supports only Windows 10 OS and it has microcode update (for Spectre vulnerability protection) available via windows update.

But I have 3 older systems running Win 7 or Win 8.1, which don´t, and that is the reason I found this UBU tool via google when looking for solution. Those 3 systems have Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus P8H77-i and Asrock Z77e-ITX mobos, and for all of them I updated the microcode with UBU (no other edits) and all 3 flashed without problems. Maximus via USB BIOS flashback, P8H77-i using Wishbringer´s AISuite method and Z77e-ITX with Instant flash. Then here:

[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

was mentioned "Update 3: Beginning with Intel 300-Series chipset mainboards ASRock has changed their BIOS protection again…" so I just wanted to test if my H370M-ITX/ac is affected also, and it is. But I don´t really need to flash any modded bios to it right now.

Sounds like your board is affected too, at least now we know, so thanks for reporting and checking twice to confirm.
Surely someone will find quicker fix/solution to this soon like they did for the old version of Asrock protection, just have to wait until the right person runs up against it and they’ll solve for everyone

If you ever do need to flash in an modified BIOS for that board, I can show you how when it’s time.