[Problem] How to Modify an MSI Bios EXE file

I attached the extracted BIOS and my Modded BIOS NVMe implant done using MMTool 4.50.0.23.

I successfully flashed my MSI 970-G46 without a brick but it still does not detect my Samsung EVO 970 NVME pcie x4. I’m trying to add this SSD NVME as extra storage to a system that already has a SATA OS installed. Not as a boot device and still have no success. When I initially installed the hardware windows detected it I installed Samsung’s drivers. After formatting the drive I tried to copy files to it which caused windows 7 to freeze. After a restart, windows continued to freeze on startup until I removed the SSD.

E7693AMS.rar (3.75 MB)

MODe7693ams.rar (3.76 MB)

Find and patch 74/75 to EB:

A temporary folder will be created in the same dir with the extracted files. Take what you need and close the app or error popup (on wine).
Do not continue the setup installer if it starts properly.
Tested on files from 2013-01-09 and 2016-01-08 with wine.

bitsoup please can you extract the bios file from exe file for me please? I am not as skilled. I have problems with flash from windows, nothing happened after flash still old version of BIOS

platomav/BIOSUtilities

Which board?

I already tried it , but to the version of bios 1.11 is a file for M-flash, but from this version up there is a exe file from MSI which you are doing from windows , it types succesful, want to restart, and when restart, nothing happened, still version 1.11. last one is v 2.8 but only exe

Hi, hope I get you.
I have finished the updated NVME bios with my msi-z68a-gd45.
What I get is a .rom, thanks for the help of this thread.
However, to implement, is it correct to rewind the process by #1 use Hex editor to call back the original .exe file; #2 delete the content after the 002ec3c9; and then #3 insert the updated .rom (opened again by Hex editor) to the end.

I am pretty nervous as it is my first time touch the bios. Thanks if you can verify it is doing fine with above.

To who ur addressing to?
To notify a user, use @xxxxx
If u mean Lost_N_BIOS hes been away since January.

EDIT: Im not an MSI expert… does M-Flash in bios rejects the bios file? Do have backups/dump or ur SPI? Do u have an SPI programmer? Are u ready for for BIOS mods and the potencial failures with it?
U know that no one can assure u nothing…

@MetaWar
That is sad to know that.
So… hopefully someone who familiar with MSI can advice me then. Thank you.

MSI offers .exe bios file. I followed the instruction extracting the .exe with hex editor; cut the content starting from 002ec3c9 and get the .rom; modify it with nvme.ffs by MMTool; and i come with a modifies .rom with exactly the same size. (8,191,965 vs 8,191,965)

But wired thing is that when I repack the modified rom into a .exe file; samely use the hex editor; delete the old .rom from the old.exe; and insert the new .rom after it; the new .exe file come out with 9 bits larger size (11,256,742 vs 11,256,733)

My question, is the modified .exe, which is sightly larger, safe to flash?

If the modified .exe should be the same size as the original .exe; (which i suppose to be, as the old / new .rom files are same size); which part goes wrong? (And if someone is kind enough would you please help to create a new .exe bios?)

If the above files are good to use, the below link would provide a MSI-Z68A-G45 bios ready for NVME as well.

For reference, hereby attach the original MSI bios, and the modified NVME bios
https://www.mediafire.com/file/e5ns0ndjl…3R.exe.zip/file

@hkdoublecat : Please do a look into >this< thread.

Yes I had read that. That thread is where I learned the 002ec3c9 trick; it is very useful. Thanks.

However it is not as clear for me that it is safe to use the modified file, which is in different size with official bios. Neither I can find an answer in that thread.

Sorry if I am too nervous about that, I am afraid today is my last day on internet if I fail to flash my beloved 10 years old Z68…

That should be 2BC39C, maybe that’s where your additional bytes came from since this area is the first place where they appear for the first time. Always compare your result in UefitoolNE and/or a Hex editor:

First check can be Bios region which is moved, but that’s not the first time these movement happens, it starts in the ME:

Comparing the complete files- that’s where you inserted these additional bytes:

Safe? No!

@hkdoublecat @MeatWar @lfb6
Since your recent discussion has much more to do with the topic "BIOS Modding Problems" than with the topic "NVMe Support for old Systems", I have moved your contributions into this already existing thread and hope, that this is ok for you.

@lfb6
Thanks for pointing out 2BC39C; which is different from 002ec3c9;
upon then I realize the later one is for MSI 970A-G46 on this thread; while the former one could be where I should looking for instead for the MSI Z68AG45 on my hand. Your warning “not safe” probably save my life!!! And I am grateful I ask something I am not sure in the correct place - this forum - before I do anything stupid.

I then tried to extract the .exe in different way and modify another MSI Z68AG45 NVME rom here. Here is the original .C30 rom and the modified NVME .C31 rom:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/okktfppce…750IMS.zip/file

Appreciate if you can spare a look and see if it is now safe to flash?

It looks good to me, but modding and flashing a firmware never is a 100% without risk

You might tag @Fernando. He wrote the guide and might be able to give you a safer answer regarding the insertion of the NVMe module!

(It might be a good idea to backup your own firmware before flashing. In case something goes wrong you could easily restore your firmware with a CH341 programmer. Download ME System Tools v8 r3 from this thread, Folder "Flash Programming Tool\Windows&quot;, run fptw -d backup.bin for the complete firmware, or if this gives an error message, fptw -bios -d biosreg.bin for the bios region. Bios region would anyway be sufficient since the MSI update image contains the other parts (FD, ME) which can be combined with the bios region if needed. Be careful with the syntax!)

@hkdoublecat
I just saw your post (had searched the board with a different notation in the forum).
I have the same board: MSI Z68A-G45 (G3) (MS-7750)

Did your posted BIOS file work? I have not tested this yet, but a file I created myself did not work.

@Crys yes i have a working bios. the later posted one is the working one