[Problem] Mod ASUS G20CB Bios to support 7th Gen I7

Hello. Excuse me for reviving this thread. I have a G20CB and I would like to change the processor from i7 6700 to a more modern one. Is this possible?

I made it to work with a 7700k, but lost everything I made to realize this.

Currently I am heading forward to start a new attempt just for testing the new coffetime tool. But it may take a while, due to lack of time

Hi guys,

First post on here. I bought a new ASUS ROG G20CB-DB71-GTX1070 with a i7-6700K 3.4Ghz CPU.
I am having some bottenecking emulators and I’d like to upgrade the CPU.
I have upgraded the BIOS from build date 2016 to the current build in 2018 - version 2202 and the Intel Chipset Driver V10.1.1.13 built on 2016/12/08

I’ve read on forums here and there that an updated BIOS will enable this motherboard to accept 7th gen Intel CPU.
I’d like to drop in an i7-7700K 4.2GHz.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

I had the plan to test it with Coffeetime 0.99 but didnt found the time.
Make multiple copies of your original BIOS readout (ch341), multiple, to just be sure every readout is identical.

Simply try it. My approach to get the 7700k running was way complicated.

I updated the BIOS to 2202, from 2018. Is this sufficient for i7 7th gen?

@dsanke
@reactive

I know this is a terribly old post and I’m sorry for resurrecting it from the dead but I beg of anyone on the forums, if they have this file to please share a link or send it to me in a DM? I want to update to a 7700k for specific reasons and the link is broken and going back all other links are broken as well. So, if you could, please help a fellow programmer out. I can do all this myself, but it would save me so much time if the end result could be just linked to, even just temporarily. Thanks, either way. If not, that’s ok. If so, that’s amazing!

This file:
G20CI-to-G20CB-1402-BIOS-VBIOS1058-GOP1080-NCT-WiFi-uCode-clean.bin

EDIT: I’m currently working on my Alder Lake Zenbook UEFI about replacing the RAM chips themselves with 16GB modules to accommodate 32GB or even 2x32GB if the board/UEFI will support it.

I got a delidded 7700K on my “cpu shelf” i could try out.
At this moment, i’m playing with getting 4G decoding/REBAR working with the UEFI Bios mod.
https://github.com/xCuri0/ReBarUEFI

EDIT01: also have you tried this one? https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/request-unlocked-asus-rog-g20cb-bios/39830/4?u=friggasvej10

I honestly didn’t expect a reply since this thread was so old, but this is becoming a project PC and I just want to add in maybe a 7700/7700k. Mine (G20CB) has HDMI out so it can use on-board GPU.

The EDIT link to the modified BIOS, is that a stable UEFI to flash? Or is there anything I need to know before flashing it? If there’s no problems with it, thank you so much!!

EDIT: Does this BIOS also remove the 256GB M.2 limit?

Got mine used for 200$ last week and like you i went onboard started to see how much i can push this little box.

Just ordred a 6700K and 32 gigs of sodimm CL15, i think i’ll go with a RTX 4060 since the powerusage on those are abysmal.

Liquid metal+2 vent holes for the CPU though the side panel should keep this one pretty cooled.

I just mounted a 512 GB NVME m.2 on stock bios (works fine), will try a 2TB stick later this week :slight_smile:

Havent got the modded bios working:
Error 368: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space.
FPT Operation Failed.

I actually bought mine new wayyyyy back then. I saw it on a BestBuy endcap and I was like, yep, I’ll have one.

But yes, I dug mine out of the corner to run a NAS server and when I loaded Windows 10 and saw how fluid it runs (like REALLY good) then take into account it’s got a socketed CPU, SO-DIMM’s, a honest full x16 PCIe3.0 slot, and everything else, including an M.2 slot… I was like let’s crank this thing back up. But the case had to go. I’m making a custom wood case for it out of cedar with airflow tunnels and things. More like a conversation piece (because I removed all the lights and things and will integrate those in the case, I already bought a backlight diffuser and cut it up and placed it over the light strips to look better where they’re mounted). Then I got an XFX RX 6650xt and the little thing screams. I love it. I can max out most titles. I don’t play higher than 1080p anyway. Anything more is just a loss for me, plus more FPS @ 1080p.

But I’m pretty sure you’re gonna need an SPL flasher and another BIOS chip which you can get off eBay for like $12. It’s just a WINBOND chip. Get the SPL flasher, initialize and flash the new chip, pop the old one out for safe keeping, and plug the new one in. ← Another plus for this board. Removable/replaceable BIOS chip!

I’m reallllllllly interested in if the 2TB drive will work. I’ve been told this is limited to 256GB but I’ve seen other people try different types of drives and they work fine. I’m thinking to get to higher capacities it needs to be NVMe, not SATA (which was what a lot of people on the ASUS forums were trying and not working).

EDIT: I saw where someone is trying to modify this board for ReBAR too! …and it’s you. HAHA. I didn’t read up the thread.

Hah! sounds awesome!
-please provide some pictures :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the hint about the bios chip, will go shopping on ebay straight away.

Black friday/cybermonday is right around the corner so would be silly for me purchasing GPU/nvme right now…

But going for a Evo 970/980 or crucial 2 TB (PCI 3.0)

Do you have a link for the rebar topic? :slightly_smiling_face:

LOL, you posted it right up there… going all the way back to X99 and the 3rd gen. I’m looking through the current BIOS now and trying to find any strings or anything referring to this and seeing if it can be enabled on this specific model. I’m sure it would also help my RX 6650xt too.

Yea if you can get REBAR up and running would be great, would also make the ARC GPU’s (they are dirt cheap) a possibility.

Have you tried to boot the 7700K yet? :slight_smile:

I am looking at it. The ReBAR mod is going to be a bit harder than the modifications for adding 7-series.

I have and with the SPL flasher attached to a R-PI, it will program the new chip, then you can just pop it in. The flash works fine for me, although I haven’t received my 7700 yet. I’m not going to use a K version as I can use the HDMI port on my board if need be, if something happens with the PCIe slot or mucks up HDCP/driver compatibility with modified BIOS versions or if I need to use the machine with onboard graphics for diagnostics or recovery.

Really excited if the flashing end to work out !

Have you tried the overclock linked to earlier?
-could be a great combo if both rebar mod and the overclockable bios could be merged.

I ordered a bios chip yesterday and got a Rpi 4 (but my coding skills are quite limited).

Do you have a direct link to the STL flasher you use ?

Also please provide some pictures your current setup :slight_smile:

Ps. have you checked the Dell 330w mod out, some crazy dude even combined two of those https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/rog-desktops/330-w-psu-for-gtx-970/td-p/564262

EDIT: wrong link… !
https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/rog-desktops/780-watt-asus-g20aj-mod/td-p/615703

O_o

Nah, I haven’t seen a power shunt mod quite like that. I really wouldn’t attempt that because you could blow some board caps and VRM’s sky high. It’s only rated for so much from that plug… I use the HP 230W Delta PSU. BUT… that’s only for the board and the CPU/RAM/Ports. My GPU is connected to an external 700W modular PSU with a PSU-On/Off switch I got from Amazon. I turn the external PSU on then switch the PC on, that way nothing on the board is strained and everything runs cool. Since this is a bespoke board for this PC, it’s unique. I wanted to keep it from exploding. lol. 780w through some of those VRM’s will literally blow them off the board. So I don’t use any board power for my GPU. It’s all going to the low current/pull board parts.

I’ll try to take some rough pics and post them.

The amount of modding done to this little box AJ/CB/CI is pretty remarkable.
-New CPU (6700K) for the CB is getting delivered next week (including a delid tool and a copper IHS + Liquid metal).
-The possibilities if OC via bios / BCLK could be unlocked! :slight_smile:

Just bought a Gigabyte 8GB RTX 4060 (incl. 25% VAT ) for 300 USD!

1 Like

I know, double posting is a sin, but for the sake of the internet archives i’ll do it :slightly_smiling_face:

Current setup
6700k+LM+Ventholes

NVME 2tb getting delivered on friday :slight_smile:
EDIT: Works without any problems, booted straght to win11 installation (flashdrive).

2TB P3 M.2

Drive spotted by system straight away

HWinfo

Installed a small Noctua fan to cool the NVME.

1 Like

That is amazing! I’m still building a case. lol. It’s got to be right.

Seeing the original casing on yours with the OG GPU cage thing is something. My CPU fan cage wasn’t black though. That’s interesting. I had the OG 1070 model. Could you post a disk speed test? I know it’s supposed to be a x4 3.0 PCIe slot, but I would love to see some speeds to see if that’s a true 32Gb/s slot. It also does USB, so if you wanted to use, for some reason, something else there, PCIe and USB busses are both connected, and I think SATA. You can put a SATA M.2 there as well.

Here you go :slight_smile:

EDIT: Added CrystalDiskMark
CrystalDiskMark

Just read that BIOS with unlocked OC cant run without disabling Hyperthreading so its kinda useless…

BUT this gives another opportunity:
[GUIDE] Coffee Lake CPUs on Skylake and Kaby Lake motherboards

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/rog-desktops/g20-with-intel-8th-amp-9th-gen-coffee-lake-processors/td-p/847406