[Problem] Mod ASUS G20CB Bios to support 7th Gen I7

Now I extracted the complete BIOS-Region of G20CI and inserted it into my G20CB with my updated ME… HDMI is still dead. But found the correct Windows License Key Information Place and successfully booted to Windows with PCIe Graphics Card and windows is activated.

Everything seems to work as it should. Ethernet, ASMedia USB 3.1 (connected to PCIe), Graphics Card, Sound…

Except HDMI and CPU temp. Is there a PCIe-Patcher available?

The only PCIE patcher I know of is for boards to use coffee lake CPU’s. But, I think reading about it, and looking at the batch files you may be able to see how to do it manually pretty easy with your own board info.
Fixing PCI-Express for Coffee Lake CPUs on Sky/Kaby Lake non-Asrock(and some new Asrock) motherboards

Cool .To be honest , as long as PCIe GPU works and boot into Windows , it is good .

That’s how I’d be @jacky400

I think too, because everything attached to any PCIe lanes is working. HDMI is not working, but attached to a PCIe lane. Maybe, the HDMI chip (ASM1442K) is not the same on the G20CI board, resulting in a different driver in the BIOS.

The wrong CPU temp, can also be a result of a different Nuvoton SuperIO chip, or different connection to it. Possibly a BIOS driver issue.

Can you find the other HDMI chip, maybe we can find that related section in another part of the BIOS not in vBIOS, such as a DXE driver?
I see HDMI mentioned in setup module, and inside GUID A0327FE0-1FDA-4E5B-905D-B510C45A61D0 at Sub-GUID 380B6B4F-1454-41F2-A6D3-61D1333E8CB4 and sub-guide C5A4306E-E247-4ECD-A9D8-5B1985D3DCDA in your original BIOS.
And in second padding in BIOS region

I found those using UEFITool search, Unicode checked and unchecked

There is no chance without a high resolution image or a board in my hands… maybe the ROG Forum… but I doubt on it.

I’ll look later, maybe we can find good tear down in a review. If not, maybe by extracting all I mentioned above, and compare with similar from the other BIOS (Give me link to that one, I’ll check when I have a sec)

I uploaded two files, one is modified and boots, the other is the original G20CI Update with removed cap-header (2kB).

G20CI-to-G20CB-1402-BIOS-VBIOS1058-GOP1079-unlicensed.bin : G20CB BIOS image with ME11.8, VBIOS1058, GOP1079 and replaced BIOS-region from G20CI

link: G20-BIOS

Great, thanks, I will take a look. Was coming back now to ask you to put the currently working BIOS in there too for a good starting test point from any progress I might add

Ah you mean the working G20CB Bios that works with Skylake 6700k? If so, it is in the folder now.

If i want to use it with 7700k on my G20CB , which one should be used?

@jacky400 : G20CI-to-G20CB-1402-BIOS-VBIOS1058-GOP1079-unlicensed.bin is the one, that boots the 7700k.

But before you try to flash it, make a backup of your current bios with a flashprogrammer.

Keep in mind, that your old bios may have an integrated windows product key that has to be inserted in my image via uefitool and/or hexeditor.

Without a backup made with a flashprogrammer this key will be lost and windows license gets deactivated.

Just to mention if you dont know that already.

Known issues:
- onBoard HDMI is not working
- CPU Temp stays at 100℃

@Lost_N_BIOS :
Checked and changed several settings using AMIBCP, discovered many hidden settings, but currently none of my changes brought back hdmi or a proper cpu temp reading.

I wanted the current BIOS you are using, the Frankenstein one. That’s this one G20CI-to-G20CB-1402-BIOS-VBIOS1058-GOP1079-unlicensed.bin I assume from what you mentioned.
I’ll check in it, the HDMI stuff I mentioned, vs the original BIOS for your board. I was thinking further Frankenstein tests might help, module from OG into the current, or some hex copy into certain modeles etc.
I was thinking probably at least 2 or 3 ways, so maybe that many test BIOS if you are up for giving them a shot?

Maybe some reviews will at least mention the IC of the thermal/electrical probe for G20CI, but you are right, I doubt we’d see any mention anything HDMI related.
Are you sure the HDMI goes through a separate chip? I assumed, CPU/PCIE lane to output port

Okay, yes “G20CI-to-G20CB-1402-BIOS-VBIOS1058-GOP1079-unlicensed.bin” is the current Frankenstein’s Monster :D.

I made a deeper look in the bios region of CB and CI, and it seems, that CB Bios isn’t suitable for Kabylake, while within CI Bios I can find strings containing Kabylake… so, to run Kabylake I need the CI Bios region. Possibly with a hard work to get the issues fixed.

Of course, I will test everything I get.

Yes, I am sure, that HDMI port is connected to an Asmedia chip (ASM1442K)

Thanks for confirming, and thanks for agreeing to test it all! I know you have programmer, so testing a failure is easy to fix, but I wasn’t sure if you’d want to waste the time on a bunch more test BIOS that may all be fail.

Looking at all this here in a little bit!

Edited my post, for some further information.

It’s not a waste of time. It is a research project , and as in every research some things fail while others success.

It is a really interesting work for me.

That’s how I’d feel too! I’ll check the edit again in a bit, see if you get the chip numbers or not. I was thinking some part of the success BIOS transfer may be needed, while other parts may not.
The Kaby modules you found, those are probably needed or at least maybe needed to be edited to match/add in kaby sections, but some may not be needed from that BIOS. Hopefully some of the ones I note with HDMI mentioned are not necessary to transfer over.

For the HDMI tests though, for now, I only plan to compare where I find HDMI, then transfer those sections into Frankenstien as test 1. Test 2, edit those particular modules where it looks feasible with the OG’s differing data leaving most of the original code in place.
Test 3, maybe a combo of both of those methods.

Can you please reupload G20CI-to-G20CB-1402-BIOS-VBIOS1058-GOP1079-unlicensed.bin I get certificate error on that page linked. Never mind, got it!

So, it is a ASM1442K from AsMedia on my G20CB board. Don´t know what is on the G20CI.

An overview can be found here.

It is a simple level shifter. But it has Enable/Disable. Unfortunately I can´t find a pinout to check if En/Dis is driven correctly Datasheet found. We have to think about that PCIe to the ASM1442K is working correcty, but the chip itself is disabled, due to a wrong enablepin connection to the GPIO(?) of PCH… → Checked and is working as it should.

Thanks! So that leaves us at finding the other boards chip to confirm it’s different, correct? Then, if it’s not, the issue lies in some other thing unrelated to the chip itself.