Problem with Windows 7 installation on Acer A515-51G-54TZ (Kaby Lake)

@Salamandra Follow this guide here to disable VGA.sys which is what the problem is reboot.pro/topic/21108-install-windows-7-at-uefi-graphics-output-protocol-gop-hardware/

Please note that you will need the inf file from your Intel HD Graphics installer to replace it.

@Salamandra Triumph! I have gotten Windows 7 to boot in full native UEFI without CSM. What I meant by semi-boot is that the OS would boot, however I would not see anything on the screen but I could hear the sounds. I have just gotten it to boot with no CSM and video out works. I can now confirm that the guide I linked you to in my last post DOES work fully. I can boot without the BCD error or freezing at the Windows start screen.

Here is what you need to do with the Intel driver:
1. Download the appropriate one from Intel
2. Extract it and find the file named igdlh64.inf (I found it under the Graphics sub-folder of my Intel driver download), copy the driver folder to a Windows install USB in a driver folder and write down the path to the inf file.
3. Replace the bootmgfw.efi file on the USB with the one from Windows 10
That is the file you will need to use in the article I linked to you. Follow those directions and you should be good to go.
Hope this helps,

- Matt

@MattSwindleTips :

Thanks a lot for your message and I’m glad about your triumph!
However, I’m still unable to install Windows 7.

I will share with you the details of what I’ve done:

1. I’ve downloaded drivers from Acer site with the igdlh64.inf inside. I’ve copied the whole directory to the USB drive with my modified Win7 image (inc. USB 3.0 and AHCI drivers (installed on the Win7 image by NTLite) and with bootmgfw.efi from Win10);
2. I’ve made bootable USB drive with Win10 WinPE by Windows ADK on Windows 10 installed on this computer;
3. I’ve booted WinPE and followed the procedure from your link (the first post at: http://reboot.pro/topic/21108-install-wi…l-gop-hardware/). At this point I had two USB drives plugged to the USB 2.0 ports - one with WinPE and the other with Win7 + drivers. I’ve corrected the path for the igdlh64.inf and Win7 image install.wim. Every single operation went without any errors;
3. I’ve typed ‘exit’ in the WinPE console and tried to boot.

Trying to boot from Win7 installation USB drive freezes at “Starting Windows” and booting from the HDD leads to my favorite 0xc000000d BCD error.

I had to take some time with the instruction linked by you and I still don’t fully understand it. Should I be able to boot Win7 from the HDD after all steps?

Well in order to get past the issue with the freezing, you have to do the part of the guide where you disable vga.sys, because that is what is causing the freeing issue.

Run these lines of code in CMD targeted AT YOUR USB DRIVE so you can make sure that it isn’t anything else being applied. Replace all instances of W:\ with your USB Drive’s letter.
Be aware that it is very possible that you have to do this within an existing windows installation and target it at a USB from there rather than booting into the USB itself.

ren W:\windows\system32\drivers\vga.sys *.off
set Services=HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services
reg.exe load HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM W:\Windows\system32\config\system
reg.exe add “%Services%\Vga” /f /t REG_DWORD /v “Start” /d 4
reg.exe add “%Services%\VgaSave” /f /t REG_DWORD /v “Start” /d 4
reg.exe unload HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM

Also this too, but replacing S:\ with your USB letter:
bcdedit.exe /store S:\efi\Microsoft\boot\bcd /set {default} bootlog yes
bcdedit.exe /store S:\efi\Microsoft\boot\bcd /set {default} bootstatuspolicy IgnoreAllFailures
bcdedit.exe /store S:\efi\Microsoft\boot\bcd /set {default} novesa on
bcdedit.exe /store S:\efi\Microsoft\boot\bcd /set {default} quietboot on
The reason why your Hard Drive boot doesn’t work is because you haven’t yet replaced that boot efi file with the one from Win10. You should probably do that from your installation USB.

It is also important to note that you will have to do that code for your hard drive’s OS as well.
Good luck,

- Matt

@MattSwindleTips : I still don’t get it.
How should I target my USB drive containing win7 installation image with:

"ren W:\windows\system32\drivers\vga.sys *.off
set Services=HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services
reg.exe load HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM W:\Windows\system32\config\system
reg.exe add “%Services%\Vga” /f /t REG_DWORD /v “Start” /d 4
reg.exe add “%Services%\VgaSave” /f /t REG_DWORD /v “Start” /d 4
reg.exe unload HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM"

when there is no “Windows\system32…” on it?
For me it only makes sense to target the HDD where I want to install Win7 with this instructions, and that’s what I did.
I have also replaced “\efi\bootbootx64.efi” with Win10 “\1\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi” on my Win7 installation USB drive.

EDIT: I’ve tried the same procedure with another Win7 iso copy. When I’m simply trying to boot Win7 installer I can see now the Windows logo image at the point “Starting Windows”, where it freezes, but I’m unable to perform “DISM.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:D:\W7_x64\sources\install.wim /Index:2 /ApplyDir:W:", I get error 87 (incorrect parameter).

EDIT 2: I would be also quite happy to install my Win7 in Legacy mode, but when I try to do this (with MBR USB by Rufus) I get “pxe-e61” error. In case I use external USB DVD drive with Win7 iso on the DVD the installation starts, but after language selection I see: “A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing (…)”, or something like that.

EDIT 3: Please, do not leave me with Windows 10. I’m sure that it can be done.

Small success! I’ve installed Windows 7 in Legacy mode.
My problem with the Legacy mode installation attempts was that Rufus changed my desired MBR partitioning scheme to UEFI GPT after selecting the desired .iso file. The following configuration works just fine: MBR partitioning for BIOS or UEFI-CSM and NTFS file system. The partitioning scheme option needs be checked again after selection of .iso file. It is also crucial to include USB 3.0 drivers, it doesn’t matter if you plug your USB drive into the USB 3.0 or 2.0 port. I used Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility by Intel for this operation.
I’m still trying to install Win7 using UEFI.

EDIT:
Even though I have used USB bootable drive to install this OS, after the completion of the installation Win7 was unable to recognize any device plugged into the USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports. The solution was to include RSTe AHCI & RAID v15.7.6.1027 and Intel USB 3.0 drivers downloaded with Intel USB 3.0 Creator Utility manually, using appropriate *.inf files and NTLite. Maybe there is no need to include both of those two drivers but I haven’t tested it.

Some conclusions on my Win7 UEFI installation attempts:

1) Replacing bootmgfw.efi from Win10 install.wim (\1\Windows\Boot\EFI) as \efi\boot\bootx64.efi fixes the EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD error when trying to boot USB drive with Win7 (UEFI), but now the installation freezes at “Starting Windows”;
2) Replacing boot.wim and setup.exe from Win10 image (\Sources) fixes the freezing “Starting Windows” problem. Now I can perform whole installation of Win7 with the Win10 installer, but after the restart required at the end of the installation freshly installed Win7 won’t boot (EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD error again).

@Fernando
I have a feeling that “Enable Legacy Option ROMs” is an option that could solve this problem, but I don’t have it in my BIOS setup, even with the supervisor password enabled. I have tried updating my BIOS (by .exe from Acer site on a temporally installed Win10) (v. 1.06 -> v. 1.15) but it changes nothing.

I don’t believe that. If you want to get Win7 installed in UEFI mode, this would be the absolutely wrong BIOS setting.

@Fernando :
I found this as a working solution in many of the reports about this EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD error with UEFI Win7 installation.
Here are some examples, there is much more:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/For…onfigmanagerosd (first answer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bCLZuPsVPo (second comment)

OK, I am done here :slight_smile:
I’ll stick to Legacy, everything works perfect!
Thank you both, @Fernando and @MattSwindleTips for all help!

My video may help or not, basically everything you have talked about already
https://youtu.be/fmG9i67Kg74
Cheers

Hey, are you guys able to give me a helping hand, I have been wracking my brain trying to install windows. I believe my notebook is similar to the model you have been working on.

I followed basic steps to correctly to make a usb win 7 boot drive but am still getting the black screen with message can’t boot status 0xc000000d. Mother board is KBL model charmander_KL - code name kaby lake-U/Y. Intel core i5 7200U CPU + Nvidia Geforce MX150 GPU, Acer Aspire A515-51G-574F . I am literally blocked from booting into windows 7 USB.

Could someone point me to the right steps in an easy to follow step guide. This is my first experience trying to work around all the problems of this OS installation. I guess Microsoft really want to be in control. Let me know what information I need to let you know.

Thanks

Are you sure your Win7 source install media installs properly, outside of USB install? If you are unsure, try installing it as a test, from ISO via DVD. If it installs properly, OK, then work more on USB Install

I am not sure how you created your USB installer, but this is the tool I always use, never any issues with that.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download…s.aspx?id=56485

I see this for that error, it may help, but looks to me like this error is only for already installed windows?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind…19-ae91806a3037

Hello guys, yeah I know this is an old thread but I hope you can help me!

I have a similar laptop of the author of the thread (mine is an Aspire A515-51G-51V7), the BIOS has no CSM so I have exactly the same problem: can’t install W7 on UEFI (I’m using it on Legacy though).
I see there are the fix for 0xc000000d error, which is simple, and the one for the “Starting Windows” stuck, which is a bit more complicated.
I have read that I have to disable the VGA, inject my Intel Graphics drivers to HDD, and here come my questions…

- I’m using a specific version of my intel graphics: I had to add a string in the .inf file to make the setup compatible with Win 7 (actually the drivers are compatible, but if you don’t do this edit, the setup won’t let you install the driver.) Will the inject still work?
- If I disable the VGA, is there any sort of backup or script that I can use to put it ON again? Just in case something goes wrong.
I hope you can help me, I’ll also tag you guys @Fernando @MattSwindleTips because you are the one that replied more times.

I succeeded so on an UEFI class 3 non csm bios: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/…-laptop.829379/

Hello, you use the Debian live (GPARTES) data collected linked that the use of the first picture is what command, thanks for sharing!!!