Raid Array seen as SSDs Issue on Win10AU

That is correct , it is not wide spread, I’d not mean to infer that at all, but there are some others on Ten Forums (one with P67 chipset instead) and on the thread at Intel, linked earlier in this Thread. It seems similar to the fact that for some only …HDDs don’t power down/idle with the 13 or 14 series drivers either but I am not sure it is related.

Other than the fact that the drives may not be getting Trimmed or Defragged , how they are “seen” may not be an issue? but I can’t find any info to confirm that one way or another . I can optimize the OS SSD with 12.9.4 and I can Defrag the Array manually from the Command Prompt when needed even, I am not sure if I should use that command on the OS SSD too though , as I don’t think SSD’d should be Defragged ?

With the HDDs in the Array seen as SSD’s though I seem to loss the Option to Accelerate the Array in the RST software , which is the other reason I went back to 12.9.4 , but like Other RST software settings (writeback cache) perhaps once setup , it is always setup, you just can’t see it , and I could run the latest Drivers ?

KB

just an update incase anyone else has this issue and sees this thread…

I am in Raid so I installed the latest 15.5.0.1051 to see if they helped with my Raid 0 Array HD Disks seen as SSD’s , it does not unfortunately , so far only drivers before the 13 Series identify them properly eg 12.9.4.1000 even though the RAID BIOS is v14.8.0.2377

These installed fine and the RST Software seems to be working correctly

Asus X99A-II MB with the Chipset Raid Controller seen as PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&REV_05

Another update :
Unfortunately nothing has changed for me in regards to the WD 640GB Hard Drives in Raid being seen as SSD’s but I recently discovered that the 12.9.4.1000 Drivers crash in Win10 on Long, multi GB File transfers , causing the Computer to Crash.

Most recently a 106GB transfer caused the crash so I am using the Best Drivers as suggest for the X99 platform, which are RST(e) Driver 14.8.16.1063. This Driver when installed however, also changes the Driver for the Secondary controller to a C200+/C600, which causes the RST Software to lock up and you can’t open it off the taskbar or elsewhere. Changing the Secondary Controller back to a Standard AHCI Controller and rebooting, fixed both these issues and the 106GB transferred fine.

So still defragging manually for me…

Asus X99A-II MB with the Chipset Raid Controller
Forum - Which are the “best” Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

EDIT by Fernando: Text merged and unneeded blank lines removed (to save space)

It appears I am wrong about 14.8.16.1063 , transferring 103 GB from Disk to Disk went ok …just lucky?
Tonight I was transferring about 100GB from my old computer (X58A) to the new one (X99) , it lasted about 3-4 mins and the computer crashed again , so now I am getting worried I will damaged the Raid Array.
Perhaps I will try transferring smaller amount in one operation and see if it helps…if anyone has any other ideas please let me know , Thanks.

KB

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded blank lines removed (to save space)

Just an update on this issue , I personally still have it ( WD 640GB Blacks) but another User on the Intel Forums with the same issue, had one WD 500GB drive fail on him so he replaced all 4 drives since he wanted larger capacity too nowadays and no longer has the issue , he believes it is probably due to the older WD drives being SATA2 interface (3GB) and the new ones being SATA3 (6GB) , so I am guessing it is a HDD Firmware issue and it not communicating properly with Drivers above 12.9.x.x

This is his post from over there (>LINK<):

EDIT by Fernando: Quoted text marked as being quoted and added the related link (to make it easier to find the original discussion at communities intel.com