Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

rfsapiens - Tip. Windows 7 SP1 64bit and Windows XP SP3 32bit happily exist on a dual boot system, I know, ive tried. But there is a catch. If you install XP on a system with W7 already installed, XP "may" destroy your w7 boot entry(so i have read online, i have never done this). So you have to do things exactly as i say.

If you are doing a fresh install of both OS - You must install XP 1st(for the reason stated above). Then you must install W7. Whether you are installing each os to its own HDD or to 2 partitions on the same HDD, W7 will install its boot menu onto and overwrite the XP boot menu. The W7 boot menu happily co exists with XP and you get the option on boot to boot W7 or "an earlier operating system". This is the easiest way for an older/non tech savvy person to choose which OS to boot.

The next option will mean the user(mom) will have to select the boot drive from the bios boot menu and it is, in my opinion, the safest option because each OS is installed in isolation and each OS will have its original boot menu.

If you wish to install XP on a system that already has W7(or later OS) and you dont want to/or need to, do a fresh install of those, do this. Disconnect your hdd/ssd containing W7(or later) OS. You only need the target hdd and optical drive(to install from). Windows XP will happily install and not wipe your W7(or later) OS boot menu. You will have to remember which drive, connected to which port, holds which OS. Again, this all depends of the tech knowledge of the end user(mom). Hope you find this helpful. xx

Fernando, i might actually put this post into the guide as it is related. I suggest keeping this post/information here for now then move it into the guide when its posted so as to not duplicate it. :slight_smile: xx

@rfsapiens :
Thanks for the link with the photos of your Device Manager. By the way: It would have been much easier and the screenshots would be much better readable, if you take them according >this< and insert them according >this< guide.
What I additionally need are the details about the in-use AHCI driver of the listed device named “AMD SATA Controller”.
Here is the way to get the Driver Details: Right-click onto the “AMD SATA Controller” and choose the options “Properties” > “Driver” > “Driver Details”.

@EmmaRoyd :
You are right - the user cannot boot anymore into Win7 after having installed Windows XP, because the Win7 boot sector entries will be overwritten by the older XP Setup.
Nevertheless it is not required to install Win7 again thereafter. The Win7 boot sector enties can be easily repaired by using the tool EasyBCD. The free non-commercial version can be downloaded from >here< (after having been registered).

I knew it must be possible to repair the w7 boot entry somehow, but i have never done it, either with a w7 dvd or EasyBCD. Be careful with EasyBCD, see if you see a subscribe to newsletter option, uncheck for gawd sake, you will be pestered. I have also seen and used Visual BCD Editor, its quite good and has more options. :slight_smile:

Hello,

Thank you all for your kind reply :slight_smile:
I have Windows 7 installed after Windows XP and in separated partitions, the C: is for Windows XP and the D: is for Windows 7. so the dual boot works correctly :slight_smile: Regarding what you ask there it is the screenshots :slight_smile:

With the best regards,

Rfsapiens

@rfsapiens :
Thanks for having delivered the requested informations.
It will not be easy to offer an AMD AHCI driver, which can be used to get XP installed onto your mom’s system running in AHCI mode.
Give me 1 or 2 days to think about how to manage it.

Fernando, which driver version do you think(given your experience) rfsapiens needs and i need the Exact dev number please. I "may" have found something direct from AMD, i am looking at it(them) right now.

At the moment I think, that the best way will be to install XP in IDE mode and to switch from the IDE to an AHCI driver from within a running XP. My idea is to modify the AMD AHCI driver v1.2.1.402 to make it usable with Windows XP.
Unfortunately there is no AMD AHCI textmode driver (incl. TXTSETUP.OEM file) available for DEV_4391 AMD SATA AHCI Controllers.

Can you give me the link?

[ATI.NTx86.5.1] %NapaDesc%=Napa_Inst,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&CC_0106 ahcix86.inf? It has a txtsetup.oem file in its folder.

This driver looks like its the one. Download page at AMD, AMD Raid Drivers 24.4 MB, 13.1, 1/17/2013

As a point of reference for yourself and other users looking for AMD XP drivers, → see this link

13.4 is the latest/last XP package. xx

@EmmaRoyd :
Thanks for the link. I am not sure, whether it makes sense to create a dual-boot system, whose first OS is running in AHCI mode and the second in RAID mode.

Try the AMD Chipset Drivers 24.4 MB 13.1 1/17/2013, there are 2 drivers in there too - Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\AHCI_svr\XP and Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\AHCI_svr\XP

I have never used RAID and i dont know if RAID and AHCI installs can co exist. This hunting for AMD AHCI drivers is why i was damn glad W7 came along with native AHCI driver(aswell as usb installing). I was just very lucky on these 2 apu systems. Im off for the night now, i have other things waiting. Good Luck guys. :slight_smile:

@Fernando
It does seem a new Intel RSTe Driver Enterprise Edition v5.2.xx be available soon on station drivers.

Dear all,

Thank you for your kind reply. The official AMD 13.1 and 13.4 AHCI drivers just don’t work on me even if I put the BIOS in RAID mode… I can install it on device manager but when I reboot the system just gets a BSOD. Slipstreaming those drivers in a clean Windows XP Setup CD makes them having the same issue I had mentioned before. The setup only sees the two hard drives but not the SSD. What else can I do? :frowning:

With the best regards,

Rfsapiens

@rfsapiens :
Have you seen >this< new thread and >this< post, which I have addressed to you?
Please stop posting into this thread. The new one matches much better your problem.

The way i see it is you have 3 options. 1 - build a new XP pc. 2 - purchase a used xp pc or laptop. 3 - explain that there are technical reasons she can no longer use those games(thats if murder is out of the question ).

why I do not Download the drive ">64bit Intel NVMe Driver v3.1.0.1019 mod+signed by Fernando at 08/17/2017" thought clicking the links and infos? Reporting error:not found the site,somebody can help me ,thanks。

@wangyadong :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Both links to the “64bit Intel NVMe driver v3.1.0.1019 mod+signed by Fernando at 08/17/2017” are fine. I just tested it.
So there must be another reason for your issue.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Does anyone have experience with SK Hynix NVMe drives?
269 USD / 225 EUR for P3110 960 GB
It looks as very affordable second SSD for data.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291985209541
https://centralvalleycomputerparts.com/s…5-hfs960gd0mee/

pros:

• ~1 500 P/E cycles (960 GB * 1,3 TDBW * 3 years) - Cruacial MX300 have ~300 P/E cycles
  • backup tantalum capacitors

cons:
  • 30 days seller warrnaty
  • generic NVMe driver
  • 22110 length

I’ve noticed that I have one driver on my archives that is missing here.

If you have an older computer with Intel Robson Memory aka Intel Turbo Memory, you can still use it on current Windows versions like windows 7 and windows 10.

All you need is the latest intel turbo memory driver (1.10.1.1002) https://www.mediafire.com/file/ucnsdzzsd…1.10.1.1002.zip
I’ve experienced some bluescreens in some cases with a damaged turbo memory module, so make sure that you know how to remove it from your computer if it fails to boot. (usually only laptops with intel chipsets from Windows Vista era use this)

You should manualy apply the driver to the PCI device with yellow exclamation point on the device manager AND REBOOT!

After rebooting, open diskpart and do this:
- select disk 0 (usually turbo memory becames disk 0)
- clean
- create partition primary
- format fs=fat (you can only format with FAT filesystem, else it will fail or bluescreen. Do a full format)
- assign

Now you can use your turbo memory as a dedicated readyboost drive. Should improve performance on laptops with HDD’s. If you have a turbo memory module and a SSD, please disable or remove it from your computer.
I did this on a few costumers laptop. If the NAND memory is good, it should work just fine. Give it a try