Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Hello,
I just installed win7 pro SP1 on a samsung 950 pro 512GB. To get the installer to see the drive I used the version 1.4.7.16 under the install driver option. I have all drivers installed but no windows updates done but an getting some low speed results. The max I seem to get is 800/750MBps Read/Write. In the samsung software it shows IOPS are lower than max too. Once in windows I used the Samsung 950pro driver exe as well but results did not change. Where should I start? I am a bit puzzled. Specs below.

Asus x99-m ws on bios 501 (newest)
5820k (no overclock yet)
Hyperx 32GB 2400Mhz
NZXT x61 liquid cooler
TitanX gpu
950pro 512GB
Seasonix x850 850watt gold psu
Windows 7pro SP1 (no updates run yet)
All newest drivers

edit:
Was just informed that the m.2 is on pci-e 2.0 lanes on the x99-m ws board, likely thats all the problem is then but might try a win10 install to be sure there is no other bottlenecks. Now to find an affordable adapter for pci-e 3.0 x16

Hello,

I’ve installed a 4TB WD Red. The drive was GPT initialised as I will use this drive only for data.
However, instead of expected available 4000GB, Windows shows only 3000GB. (not exact numbers, i’m just keeping text simple)
I was guided here and told that my Windows drivers should be updated in order to "fix" the missing ~1TB.
I see references in the OP to DEV_4391, my Windows Device Manager reports …

but the following HWiNFO report says DEV_4390 so I am confused.
1) Is this AHCI package suitable for 4390/439C, or is there a more suitable alternative for my case ?
2) Is there a way to force Windows to "Re-initialise" or rescan the drive to its full potential after I change the drivers

Thank you.
JackD

The hardware reports from HWinfo64 …

ATI/AMD SP5100 (SB700) - SATA (Native IDE) Controller ---------------------

[General Information]
Device Name: ATI/AMD SP5100 (SB700) - SATA (Native IDE) Controller
Original Device Name: ATI/AMD SP5100 (SB700) - SATA (Native IDE) Controller
Device Class: IDE Controller
Revision ID: 0
Bus Number: 0
Device Number: 17
Function Number: 0
PCI Latency Timer: 64
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4390&SUBSYS_76411462&REV_00
[System Resources]
Interrupt Line: IRQ22
Interrupt Pin: INTA#
I/O Base Address 0 C000
I/O Base Address 1 B000
I/O Base Address 2 A000
I/O Base Address 3 9000
I/O Base Address 4 8000
Memory Base Address 5 FE7FFC00
[Features]
Bus Mastering: Enabled
Running At 66 MHz: Capable
Fast Back-to-Back Transactions: Not Capable
[Driver Information]
Driver Manufacturer: (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers)
Driver Description: Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Version: 6.3.9600.16384
Driver Date: 21-Jun-2006
DeviceInstanceId PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4390&SUBSYS_76411462&REV_00\3&267A616A&1&88

WD Red drive…
WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 ------------------------------------------------------
[General Information]
Drive Controller: Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s
Drive Model: WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0
Drive Revision: 82.00A82
Drive Serial Number: WD-WCC4N5VT3RTV
World Wide Name: 50014EE2B7298B1B
Drive Capacity: 2,861,588 MBytes (3000 GB)
Drive Capacity [MB]: 2861588
Media Rotation Rate: 5400 RPM
ATA Major Version Supported: ATA/ATAPI-5, ATA/ATAPI-6, ATA/ATAPI-7, ATA8-ACS, ACS-2
ATA Transport Version Supported: SATA 3.0
[Drive Geometry]
Number of Cylinders: 16383
Number of Heads: 16
Sectors Per Track: 63
Number of Sectors: 16514064
Total 32-bit LBA Sectors: 268435455
Total 48-bit LBA Sectors: 5860533168
Cache Buffer Size: N/A

EDIT by Fernando: Attached hardware report put into a "Spoiler" (to save space).

@ JackD:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The DeviceID DEV_4390 resp. DEV_439C indicate, that your AMD SATA Controller is currently running in IDE (and not in AHCI) mode.
If you want to get any AMD AHCI/RAID driver installed, you have to set the AMD SATA Controller to "AHCI" or "RAID" within the BIOS before.

You can scan all drives from withi the Windows Explorer by doing a right clck onto them and choosing the options "Properties" > "Tools" > "Check", but if you want to check the performance of the drive, you will have to use a benchmark tool.

Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

The DeviceID DEV_4390 resp. DEV_439C indicate, that your AMD SATA Controller is currently running in IDE (and not in AHCI) mode.
If you want to get any AMD AHCI/RAID driver installed, you have to set the AMD SATA Controller to "AHCI" or "RAID" within the BIOS before.

You can scan all drives from withi the Windows Explorer by doing a right clck onto them and choosing the options "Properties" > "Tools" > "Check", but if you want to check the performance of the drive, you will have to use a benchmark tool.

Firstly, thank you for the forum welcome Dieter.

Without installing anything, I simply rebooted, then enabled AHCI in BIOS, however, during the boot phase, Windows prompted that there was an error and wanted to enter recovery mode. I suspect this is because there is no suitable driver available for AHCI at this point - so i reverted to IDE and everything returned to normal.

So I guess I am stuck in limbo, unless it is confirmed that I can first install the drivers from inside Windows, reboot, change the BIOS setting, and THEN bootup successfully - in that order.

Finally, a happy new year to you and yours too.
JackD

It is not a good idea to change the SATA mode from within running Windows.
That is why I recommend to do a fresh Windows installation after having switched the SATA mode from "IDE" to "AHCI".

Just wanted to report that on win7 pro and the 1.4.7.16 installer set has been working just fine on the asus x99-m ws with 5820k. No usb issues. I have it on the latest 501 bios. Im still waiting for the pci-e 3.0 m.2 adapter but otherwise no bugs I can see. I have since benchmarked the entire system at stock and at 4.5ghz and compares to all my other 5820k builds.

Thanks a ton for posting those drivers! I think its silly that samsung expects us to install 7 on another drive and use their cloning tool.

@ 66racer:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report.

Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks again , My uncle pc with AMD FX 8320 which was overclocked to 6.0 ghz was flying .
It was powered by Gigabyyte GA-970A-DS3P Which was running superfast with latest ahci drv and ultra slim xp(230mb xp sp3 with nlite)

Hi Fernando!

I have a HP 15-f018ca notebook, which has a bay trail-m celeron n2840 cpu. I have no luck installing windows xp sp3, even after integrating your rst driver (I can find 8086_0F23 / Bay Trail SATA driver from your inf file). I even slipstreamed all the device drivers. I used textmode driver under your instruction.

The full device instant path is: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F23&SUBSYS_21DE103C&REV_0E\3&11583659&0&98

other info is:

There is no way turning AHCI off and I don’t think it should be an issue. I tried the installation on 3 different laptops: A6-3400M (2011), celeron 1007u (ivy bridge, 2012) and i5-4200u (haswell, 2013) with ahci on. but stuck on this one (HP, celeron n2840). The laptop is quite slow on windows 7/8.1/10 and I’ve learned my cpu is only as fast as some ulv core 2 cpu, that’s why I want windows xp.

The driver I integrated from is from : [Guide] Integration of Intels AHCI/RAID drivers into a Windows XP/W2k3/W2k CD, I choose option C. THe iso is a clean msdn windows Xp sp3 iso

When I don’t press F5 or F7: acpi.sys 0x7E bsod
When I press F5 and do any ACPI related options: same
Press F7: 0x7B
Press F5 and choose standard pc and standard pc i486: 0x7B

Haven’t tell MPS option as it took a long time and stuck on “Starting Windows” during the textmode setup

THanks for your help!

@ Maxime506:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Intel BayTrail AHCI Controllers (DEV_0F23) are unfortunately not supported by any Intel AHCI driver. The only usable AHCI driver is the generic MS one, but there is no XP compatible MS AHCI driver available.
If I should have the needed time, I can try to modify the MS AHCI driver to make it usable with XP, but I have to create the related TXTSETUP.OEM file from scratch myself.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

there is a samsung nvme driver compatible for xp?

You will not be able to get Windows XP installed onto an NVMe SSD.
One of the reasons is the missing file named TXTSETUP.OEM.

You will not be able to get Windows XP installed onto an NVMe SSD.
One of the reasons is the missing file named TXTSETUP.OEM.

I don’t want install windows xp on nvme, I want only read from windows xp the nvme drive

Boot into Windows XP, open the Device Manager and look for a device with missing driver. The related Controller should be listed within the "SCSI and RAID Controllers" section.
If you should find any, try to install the Samsung NVMe driver.

Boot into Windows XP, open the Device Manager and look for a device with missing driver. The related Controller should be listed within the "SCSI and RAID Controllers" section.
If you should find any, try to install the Samsung NVMe driver.

I have try but no work the driver with windows xp

Did the Device Manager list a device with missing driver at all?

Did the Device Manager list a device with missing driver at all?

yes, is the exclamation point icon device manager write: windows cannot load device driver for this hardware. the driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39)

This means, that the NVMe Controller has been detected by Windows XP.

Did you choose the 32bit driver, when you tried the installation?

This means, that the NVMe Controller has been detected by Windows XP.

Did you choose the 32bit driver, when you tried the installation?

I use xp 64 bit

Ok, I just have realized that the Samsug NVMe driverpack supports 32bit and 64bit Operating Systems.
I suspect, that the additional Samsung SCSI Filter Driver named nvmeF.sys is not usable with Windows XP (32/64bit). It may be the same thing as with the Intel SCSI Filter Driver named iaStorF.sys, which cannot be handled by XP.