[Request] A8-7680 UEFI Microcode Update for HP Pavilion 23-P149

did you integrate the Video Bios for Carrizo?

Sorry for the (very) late response. I have not updated the VBIOS, do you know of a guide/program to use for that purpose?

Thank-you

@Flow_King

UBU can update to the latest AMD GOP, seems that vBios OROM are the same version.

88XNWIFI.F6.png

With tools like UBU/UEFItool and MMtool u can replace/test other vBios OROM from that A68H or others, at ur own risk.

Thank-you so much :slight_smile:

I will try extracting them from the A68 BIOS, since most of the modules seem compatible with my A88 BIOS from what I’ve seen so far during my experimenting.

Most of my attempts have not bricked my board so far, but I figured out that the AmdAgesaDxeDriver & AmdProcessorInitPeim modules BOTH need to be replaced with ones from the A68 board to function. Updating either of the two without updating the other results in a brick & then have to enter recovery mode to revert back to original.

I’m also wondering now if maybe the CPU temp appears to be high because it’s reporting in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius? I calculated 102°F is equal to ~39°C, which is actually close to where I expected the CPU temperature to be.

Anyway, I’ll get back on this once I finish my current projects :wink:

I JUST stumbled across this thread! I am attempting to do EXACTLY what you are! I’m currently running an AMD A10-6700 in this board(f2a88xn-wifi) and purchased the A8-7680 to “upgrade” this board as far as it can go. Of course the APU failed to POST. I’ll be following this thread with baited breath!

Hi Cmnore,

Sorry for the late response, I’ve changed jobs recently & don’t have much time at the moment. I am still planning on completing this project, I’ve just got to put it on the shelf for a while until I have more time to just sit down & hammer away at it for a few hours.

But, yeah. The 7680 has really good thread performance on 4 physical cores with decent integrated graphics, so it was super obvious that an ITX build with this APU would run like a dream. Just wish the manufacturers didn’t turn their backs on it so quickly.

I know Win-Raid is currently working on transitioning to a new platform but if I don’t finish this before that happens, PM me & I’ll give you my E-mail to continue our conversation that way. Also, Win-Raid doesn’t send me E-mail notifications for thread activity for some reason, but I do get E-mail notifications from PMs.

Anyway, I will make it work one day, I just don’t know when that will be.

Thank you for the response! Unfortunately I can’t seem to PM you directly. I get an error message when I attempt to “see” your profile. I have subscribed to this thread so I’ll get a notification when you post. If you can somehow PM me? Please do so. I’d love to keep-in-touch on this project!

I’ve picked up a…collection of FM2+ boards, hoping to get the A8-7680 I have to work in literally anything it wasn’t meant to.
While it’s not exactly a spectacular CPU/APU, the A8-7680 would be super cool to have in a higher end board for some overclocking action.

So far, the Carrizo VBIOS needs adding - Is this possible?
Microcode needs updating. Easy with UBU
AMD AGESA needs updating as well. Perhaps this is why you’ve had issues with yours?

With some of the research I’ve done over the past several months, it looked like a few other modules are tied into the AGESA of a board, so perhaps there’s another/more that’d also need to be changed out?

Well, hop aboard :smile: We can certainly use all the knowledge we can gather regarding this issue. Your research is valued, thank-you for commenting your findings. I will look into further modding & testing at a later date, but likely not going to have spare time until winter hits again. The factory has me scheduled for 50h / week for at least the next month :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

On a side note though, I was greeted with a notification Email that you commented on this thread when I checked my Emails today. So it’s good to know that Email notifications for thread activity are working now, so I can (hopefully) respond to you guys in a more timely manner.

I’ve put together a modding environment for myself (in a VM) so I can stay more organized with my work, since I kind of lost my place while I was away.

Anyway, I did a side by side comparison of a F2-A68HM-S1 BIOS with my F2-A88XN-WIFI BIOS and found that the module layout is exactly the same – they both have modules in exactly the same order with exactly the same names & GUIDs. Even the module sizes are similar, some are different by only a couple of bytes. This confirms my suspicion that the 2 chipsets act similarly, though 88X obviously has a nicer feature set.

I’ve gone ahead and made a list of the modules that seem like they may be of interest, but I’m having trouble understanding what some of them are for. The colour coding goes like this:
Cyan = Tested working, necessary for the mod.
Green = Modules to test in next mod.
Yellow = Probably good places to investigate in future mods.
Red = Probably shouldn’t touch…
Purple = Not sure.

I will try to get some testing done this weekend. By the way, if I still have that strange issue with the A8-7680 hitting 102°C in the BIOS, I will need someone else with the same motherboard as me to try my image on theirs to see if it’s just a bug or a problem with my APU (I did buy it on Ebay :thinking:)

UPDATE:
Yeah, so I did try this mod today. Resulted in a really bad brick, motherboard is quite a mess right now. Couldn’t get video output via onboard or even a PCIe video card like I did last time, then the board just completely stopped POSTing altogether. Hoping I can get it back to regular BIOS, but DualBIOS seems to be stuck in some kind of an infinite loop. Or the main BIOS chip is shot, either way I’m not going to be making anymore progress this week.