[Request] Bios fix Intel NUC 8i7hnk

Hi guys, i am seeking some help fixing a bricked nuc after loading optimised defaults and reboot. The unit boots to no video and i can’t recover the intel official way. I have dumped the bios with SPI for anyone to help me. I’d be grateful for any help.

Unfortunately the bios update file dosn’t have same structure than firmware

51.jpg

And they have machine specific data stored in NVRAM, most other vendors hide it in padding…

52.jpg

Since you wrote you experienced a brick after settings change (Standard defaults???) start with an empty NVRAM. Compare Std_Defaults to the corresponding volume in update file, should be same, if not replace. Delete everything after Std_Defaults, empty GUID store down- up for the corresponding GUIDs… (Actually I kept the first 2 keys thereafter, too, but they’re both ‘00’, so probably not important/ needed)

The static volumes are identical to the ones found in the update file despite og GUID 764D41AC-282D-4777-BF9F-DC1671C10F36 (recovery volume? Maybe older version?)

73F_e12.zip (5.43 MB)

This did the trick. Booted into bios again. Have reinstalled intel official bios fine. All seems fixed now. I’ll try delete the attachments as you had stated intel did not pad machine specific details in NVRAM. As a learning process here the bios had two identical NVRAM GUIDs in uefitool, how did you figure the correct offsets to wipe NVRAM ? I tried this morning and each time i couldn’t get the bottom up instruction correctly. I kept ending up with a corrupted fine after my edits.

As well, thank you very much for the help. Please pm me a paypal or bnb address and i’ll shout you a beer for the weekend :slight_smile:

Good to hear that you got it working again And thank you for the feedback!

Well, no dofference if machine specific details are in pad or in NVRAM, visible anyway?!

Many bios (almost all now?) do have two copies of NVRAM, stock bios often just has one, the other being created while working with it.

GUID store is built bottom up, 1 row = one guid, all elements of a guid except last are noted reverse. Since the first four lines don’t show up in GUID store (not treated by normal NVRAM routines?) you’d normally would have one line there = GUID for std-defaults and that’s the last line of the volume, too. Since I decided to keep the two first values after Std Def it was the last three lines. Open dump in UEFIToolNE, find the start address where you want to delete (see picture, hex view [not body] to be sure), find the end address of GUID store (=start address of next volume), choose rowes/GUIDs too keep, select in HxD, fill selection with FF, done.

Regarding paypal- thanks a lot for the offer, use the paypal buttons of the forum