[Request] BIOS modding for Intel J3455 SoC (System on a Chip)

@ptran3014 - thanks for logo, size does not matter here, only type/format etc.

@ptran3014 - Here, please test. This keeps original logo size, but none of that matters since it’s plain white text on black background anyway
Flash via Q-Flash - should be OK
https://ufile.io/l4cw3qhe

@Lost_N_BIOS - Just replacing logo, correct. Is there any VBIOS modd? I need to know so that I can test it. Thank you so much.
---------------------

@Lost_N_BIOS - I used Gigabyte utility (DOS) to flash your modded BIOS. This program supports 25L and 25U chips. After updating the BIOS successfully, its beeped 4 times during rebooting and then nothing was on the screen. I had to use the CH341A programmer to update with the original BIOS.
Just to update what I programed the chip so that someone who has a problem can do.
The Gigabyte GA-J3455N-D3H motherboard has the BIOS chip MXIC 25U6435F
The Asrock J3455-ITX motherboard has the BIOS chip Winbond 25Q64FWSIG
Both chips are 1.8V
However when I used the 1.8V Adapter, the CH341A Programmer does not detect the chips. I removed the 1.8V adapter and now it saw both and programmed successfully.
I used AsProgrammer v1.4.1 software. Later I found the 1.8V Adapter was damaged, one pin was broken.

I am still looking for modded BIOSes of these boards or a modded Intel VGA driver to make them work on Windows 7. By the way, someone put a tutorial on

Best regards,

Peter

@ptran3014 - Yes, Logo edit only for now. I wanted to see what’s going on there, since even the BIOS they send you bricked! Need to sort this (working edit method) out before any other mod, otherwise other mod = brick also.
Sorry that BIOS was brick too Hopefully I can sort this out!

Please flash it via Qflash as mentioned, this way we know the DOS Method is not causing the bricking issue you keep running into. You may need to rename to stock BIOS name.extension
Then wait long enough, so you can see if it boots to windows or not, in case the BIOS is OK but the logo is just breaking you know. Actually, go ahead and just do this confirmation with these next two BIOS instead.
If you do have to rename for Qflash to accept, please be sure you remember which you are testing as you test, so you can tell me which works or which fails etc.
Here is two BIOS edited again for logo only, edit was done with two different tools, maybe we’ll find the way that works now!
https://ufile.io/4zdtbu3w

Very funny you can’t use, and have success on 1.8v chip without adapter.
The board must be draining enough power that it doesn’t corrupt the write due to overvoltages. Did you test with power connected, and without power connected, while using the 1.8v adapter.
Ohh! You’re 1.8v adapter is broken! Well, order a new one, and try to not flash 1.8v chips so often until you get one, it may end up damaging them.

Where is this tutorial you mentioned? I think you forgot link. What’s it about?

For W25Q64FW if we get there and you have to recover, use ASProgrammer and BV ID should write OK, if it fails try 1.30 and BV ID (Confirmed working for both read/write)

I used the Gigabyte to update their current BIOS, it works fine with their utility. With your BIOS, I have to give it the option switch or it will not:
Efiflash YOURBIOS.BIN \NoOemId
----------------------

@Lost_N_BIOS - I installed Windows 7 on both motherboards but missing drivers:
Asrock J3455-ITX
PCI Simple communications Controllers: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9A&CC_0780
Unknown device: INT3452

Gigabyte GA-J3455N-D3H
PCI Simple communications Controllers: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9C&CC_0780
PCI Simple communications Controllers: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9E&CC_0780

I read a thread somewhere you showed someone to download the Intel dynamic platform and thermal framework driver but they don’t match the IDs.
I created an INF file as null drivers for now but not a good solution if I can find the drivers for them. Please let me know where I can download.

Thank you so much for your support.

@ptran3014 - please flash BIOS as I mentioned, from within the BIOS using Qflash. Did you test the two BIOS I posted at #24 yet?

For your driver issue, that is probably you need to install Intel ME drivers still, they would be available for download on the board driver download pages, or you can grab them here in the ME section of the forum
First install the Intel INF package, then install Intel Management Engine drivers (This is Intel ME Driver)

I know nothing about >> Intel dynamic platform and thermal framework driver << So you may have been reading some other users discussions.

The Gigabyte motherboard does not have Qflash in their BIOS. I have to use the DOS utility: Efiflash.exe or Windows @BIOS. Last time @BIOS bricked the BIOS. The Efiflash.exe works fine the the switch: \NoOemId

Yes, DO NOT use @BIOS as you already found out it’s not so cool usually
So, no Qflash on this model, are you sure??? That would be very odd for Gigabyte. Press F8 while in BIOS, or END key at startup instead of DEL to enter BIOS, what happens?
So, no testing results yet from 2x BIOS at post #24?

* Edit - I guess not, I looked at the manual. Probably due to mini-ITX or integrated CPU or something, they left it out of this BIOS. That’s first I’ve seen Gigabyte BIOS without Qflash!

@Lost_N_BIOS - I was wrong, Fernando replied to ded_kiev. Please read the page:
Intel Chipset Device “Drivers” (= INF files) (34)

Install both of these for Win10 -
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/D…ntel_apollo.zip
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/D…_txe_apollo.zip

Hmm, no Win7 drivers there! See if you can install the above in Win7, if not, here is the Intel ME (TXE for this system)
Intel Trusted Execution Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools
You want one of the first two blue links, the third one is much older than the current Version 3.0 listed on Gigabyte’s page, so 4.0 would be best

And or, you can also install that exact thing Fernando mentioned!

@Lost_N_BIOS - There is no F8 or End keys to go to BIOS, just DEL. This motherboard has 8MB BIOS. The Asrock board has Instant Flash in BIOS.
--------

@Lost_N_BIOS - Please read this:
https://www.amazon.com/review/R19B0HAAKK…_=fsclp_pl_fr_8

F8 (IN BIOS) or END Key at startup are how you use/Enter Qflash, on models that have it. DEL yes, this always goes to BIOS.
Asrock yes, Instant Flash (that’s same thing as Qflash, but Gigabyte didn’t put in this model)

Still waiting on your answer/test results, did you try the two BIOS at post #24 yet?

Also, please edit your posts when you want to add more thoughts or info and no one has replied yet, instead of making multiple posts in a row - thanks

Ahh, so you need INF which I mentioned, and linked for you. And TXE Drivers (As mentioned and linked), and USB 3
Not sure what you wanted me to see there? All things I already linked for you, and some things specifically that tells you how to install too (See #4).

If you have issues with the install (he’s talking about Rufus), I always suggest using the Microsoft USB/DVD install too (ignore sys spec/requirements, I use on Win7-10 all the time)

@Lost_N_BIOS - I sent the CH341A back to Amazon for a replacement. When it comes, I will try to update the BIOS. I used Asrock Win7UsbPatcher(v2.0.21_Apollolake). Windows 7 32-bit installed fine, there is no USB 3.0 problem. I only search for the TXE and SerialIO for this board.

@Lost_N_BIOS How did you think solving the video problem? I looked for other systems with this SoC and latest bios updates- versions are (very) close to what’s used in the mentioned boards. (Bios update for Intel N Celeron is august '20, J Celeron december '19)

11.jpg

Latest DXE is 10.0.1037, Asrock has already 1036/ GB is on 1030, GOP VBT ist 207 on all, and 206 OROM is latest version on all. Intel bios for NUC8CCHKR is from august '20.

@ptran3014 Why did you choos this hardware/ OS combination? Is there a special reason that you have to work with Win7/Win10 32 bit systems on systems which officially are only designed for W10 64 bit?

Did you try latest Win7-32 graphics driver from mentioned series (21.20.16.5103)? (Link)

@lfb6 - Why did you choos this hardware/ OS combination? Is there a special reason that you have to work with Win7/Win10 32 bit systems on systems which officially are only designed for W10 64 bit?
I need low cost and cooler motherboards (ITX) for this project. I need both PCI and PCIE slots for high end sound cards. Windows 7 32-bit needs to be used for the Piano Discovery software (16-bit). I need real time with no latency for audio ASIO, I cannot use virtual machine software due to the high latency. Gigabyte GA-J1900N-D3V motherboard which has all drivers for Windows 7 32-bit but I cannot find them NEW in the market, there are few were sold used on eBay. The Gigabyte GA-J3455N-D3H was chosen because it has the PCI, the Asrock J3455-ITX was chosen because someone reviewed this board on Amazon stated he found all drivers for Windows 7. I downloaded the Dell package from above link but when I run, it failed to install or extract (it cannot find the system ID). Graphics performance is not an issue. I can use the standard VGA driver if there is no modded BIOS or VGA driver for it. However if there is one, it is better than the vanilla one from Microsoft.
A modded VGA driver I am looking for should have hardware IDs: 5A85. Someone reviewed this Asrock board posted: "The most annoying part is that the VGA bios needs to be set as legacy for windows 7 installation and the instllation of the display driver for kabylake/apollo lake, but once you finished the installation of the beta video driver and clicked reboot, you need to go into bios setting and change the VGA bios under CSM to UEFI only mode otherwise windows 7 will just crash."
I am not doing this to destroy Intel + Microsoft hype but for young people who are learning to play Piano.
------------------------

@Lost_N_BIOS - I plan to buy some MSI J1900I ITX motherboards. These boards have all Windows 7 32-bit drivers. I contacted MSI for a custom BIOS but they don’t reply. I guess MSI does not care because they sold out and the board is not manufactured any more. Can you help me to replace the BIOS logo?

@ptran3014 - what happened to your CH341A??
Here, please test for J1900I Logo change only - Flash via M-Flash, do not rename the file - https://www.sendspace.com/file/q2rwqh
Should be no problem here, this model has 100% “Normal” BIOS

@lfb6 - I did not get there yet, waiting to find method to not brick the BIOS during ANY mod first
Video issue for Win7 is solved by BIOS settings, and or possibly vBIOS or GOP Update (see Amazon link above, settings solved it on Win7 for them)

@Lost_N_BIOS - Because the 1.8v adapter was bad, I had to send everything back to Amazon for a replacement.
Sendspace does not allow me to download. I tried to create a free account but their system blocks yahoo email.
Is there anything else you modify / replace in the BIOS or just only logo?

@ptran3014 - Sorry about that, there is no need to register or anything at sendspace Sounds like you may have clicked on an ad there or something, I have good ad blocker so I don’t see them anymore.
Here is mirror - https://ufile.io/ce2bbsni

@Lost_N_BIOS I wouldn’t call having to press bios in using uefi gop instead of legacy Orom a real ‘solution’, that’s more like a workaround? And regarding versions- as written Orom and GOP VBT were latest already, GOP driver close to latest. Hoped I could learn a little about how these things work

I downloaded the drivers as per instruction from the man on Amazon but the hardware IDs were not matched. I modified the INF hardware IDs, everything is working, both Intel(R) Trusted Execution Engine Interface and GPIO Controller. However, the Gigabyte mother has two new Unknown devices: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9C&CC_0780 and PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9E&CC_0780. I had to modify the Intel INF to make them as NULL drivers. Please let me know if anyone needs the drivers and INF files. This is for 32-bit, you can make the 64-bit drivers.