[Request] Bricked Lenovo E485 Bios Repair

Hello guys! Came across the forum and decided to ask for help here, as I’ve been trying to fix my bricked Lenovo E485 for a while but to no avail.

Like many of the E485 users, my BIOS were corrupted after a Windows update. The laptop was stuck during Windows update for hours and I have no choice but to power it off. The next moment, it couldn’t boot anymore. I’ve been searching for ways to fix it and thought that probably I should purchase a CH314A programmer to get started.

A dump of the BIOS was taken (uploaded here) and I’ve also extracted the BIOS update file that was downloaded from Lenovo website. I realised that the filesize of the downloaded BIOS is different from the dump, and I suppose it’s not right to flash it to the Winbond chip ya?

May I seek help here on where/how can I obtain a functioning BIOS, so that I can reflash the BIOS chip to bring it back to life? Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Hello @jeffn,

You will need a good BIOS dump for this. Have a google search for E485 bios dump.

Let us know if you find something that works.

Good luck

1 Like

Yes, one EFI volume seems to be corrupted, can’t be expanded. Do you have the bios previous bios version number?

1 Like

Thank you so much for the response!

I believe it was bricked sometime in Dec 22. Quite certain that BIOS version is R0UET79W v1.59 as I’ve snapped a photo back then. I’ve also removed the SSD and hunted for any information available, which I’ve found the last captured machine information under Lenovo Vantage - R0UET79W v1.59 as well.

I did a search in the dump with HxD, and the only trace is the string “UVPD.RESERVER0UET81W” which I’m guessing that Windows was probably trying to update it to this version.

Here’s a screenshot for reference:
Screenshot 2023-07-15 222151

Yes, its 81 to 0xC87EFFand 79 from 0xC88000

Check the structure in UEFIToolNE, replace the last 2 EFI volumes in your dump (from 0xB50000 to 0xFFFFFF) with the corresponding part of the stock bios 81.

Stock bios has additional code/ volumes, for example ECP firmware. Take $0AR0U00.FL1, cut after 0x103A320 and then cut from 0x0 to 0x3A31F, file should be exactly 0x1000000 and have correct structure in UEFIToolNE

Post / attach the file before flashing.

After flashing update to the latest bios from Lenovo site, ECP gets updated, too and has different version in 79, 81, 83. So to be sure to have corresponding versions…

Here’s my newbie attempt at hex editing. If I understood correctly, the first portion is to replace the last 2 EFI vols to my dump with corresponding part of stock bios 81. Done a check on UEFIToolNE thereafter, I was able to expand “LzmaCustomDecompressGuid” section further when compared to the dump taken earlier.

May I ask for your help to verify if this was done right?

board1_dump1_EFI.zip (4.5 MB)

Come to the 2nd part was where I was confused. I’m suppose to cut after 0x103A320 from the stock bios 81. Does this refers to the highlighted “Padding” that I should cut and replace it with somewhere in the dump?

Thank you for the guidance thus far :slight_smile:

Second part was just to extract the bios image from the Lenovo update file to make it easier to extract the volumes. But it seems you managed to extract both volumes without peeling the bios out of the Lenovo file.

The file you created looks good and should work (if ECP firmware is OK and it’s just the bios firmware).

Sorry to swoop in – This is the closest I’ve gotten to understanding the Lenovo E485 bios bricking I also had.

Two questions I have:

1. is there anything about the dump that should be particular to jeff’s unit?
  2. What is the "write’ step for the bin? Certain flash drive attached to a certain USB port? Flashed with a tool to a ROM on the board?

Thanks for humoring my more novice questions – this was one of the top results for E485 support for this issue.

Thanks! I’ll try it out. Meanwhile, I’ve to procure a 1.8v adapter for my ch341a.

I’m having verify+write issue currently, which might be due to the 3.3v from the ch341a. But it reads the bios chip just fine, hope I didn’t fry it though :sweat_smile:

@lmcdo, try to lookout for a Ch341a usb flash tool with 8pins test clip. You’ll probably need a 1.8v adapter as well.

What’s the chip type? What’s written on the chip?

(This is not a thing for guessing, normally. There’s a chip type, a datasheet and a voltage specification.)

@lmcdo Yes, there is. NVRAM, Windows license, some bytes in padding

Recommend dumping your firmware and posting it into a separate thread to avoid confusion.

The other things are case, manufacturer and model dependant. For most machines it’s a CH341 programmer… Very few vendors have working recovery procedures which cover all possible causes.

It’s a Winbond W25Q128FWSQ. Checked datasheet that Vcc is 1.65 to 1.95v, it’s a 1.8v chip.

Hello @jeffn ,

Read and compare a few times to make sure you get a good read.

Then, Is the chip being erased properly before write? I have seen issues with erasing some chips.

Regards,

Erasing was an issue as well, suppose to be FF all over but I saw some FEs.

I’ve found the root cause, 1.8v adapter is definitely a must. I’ve referred to the guide from within here actually.

After one order placed for the 1.8v adapter and a verify+flash away, my laptop booted!

Thank you so so so much for the guidance and pointers! @lfb6 @68k-dude
I’ve definitely learnt something, rather than just requesting for the BIOS file to be given. Cheers! :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and glad to hear everything worked out :+1:

1 Like

Hello @jeffn ,

Excellent work, it is always better to do these things yourself. I always say to the people I help, have a go, and if you get stuck, I can help.

One less laptop for the e-waste pile is always great to hear.

1 Like