[request] coffee lake mod for Dell Precision 3620 UEFI BIOS

Hey, I’d love to ask for some help in understanding how I could apply this sort of mod to a Dell Precision 3620. I would love to be able to upgrade the CPU to something really nice, and even better if I could put 128 GB of RAM in it.

I haven’t done a dive into the BIOS yet, but I think that Dell bases their firmware on Aptio? The last official firmware update for my specific motherboard is downloadable here https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=23jn6 And if necessary I can rehost that file.

In any case, I expect to have to use an external flasher for it, and even if I don’t have to I’d want to learn how to since there’s always a brick risk with this sort of thing and I want to hedge my bets.

i might have a CH341 somewhere, and if not I’m probably due to buy one.

Anyway, does anyone here have any experience with modding the firmware on these sorts of Dell machines? I couldn’t find any information on similar machines being modded to support Coffee Lake…

I’m more than interested to dump anything necessary and do as much work myself as possible, but I really don’t know where to begin. What sort of platform would this be closest to that people have already modded before?

Thanks!
—bri

Start here:
[GUIDE] Coffee Lake CPUs on Skylake and Kaby Lake motherboards - BIOS/UEFI Modding / BIOS Modding Guides and Problems - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

For initial SPI read/write operations of the bios regions, better use the Intel FPT tool and the SERVICE_MODE Jumper (SERVICE_MODE).

Good luck