[REQUEST] Dell Inspiron 3647 mod NVME support

I´m in need of add full NVMe support to the latest A11 BIOS on my Inspiron 3847 to connected to the PCIe x16 slot through a PCIe to NVMe adapter. Anyone out here that might already have them or may help? It will be much appreciated.

Make a dump of the current bios on the system with Intel FPT tool, version for your chipset, tool is in the ME tools section.
https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/intel-converged-security-trusted-execution-engine-drivers-firmware-and-tools

Then use guide: [[HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS - Special Topics / NVMe Support for old Systems - Win-Raid Forum https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/howto-get-full-nvme-support-for-all-systems-with-an-ami-uefi-bios

1 Like

Hello,

I did what @MeatWar suggested to @Rikke_Cardoso for a Dell Inspiron 3847. However I have not flashed my firmware mod yet because I am not certain that I did everything right and this is the first time that I am attempting a bios mod.

My journey so far is outlined in my reply from today in the howto guide
https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/howto-get-full-nvme-support-for-all-systems-with-an-ami-uefi-bios
which @MeatWar linked as his second source of information.

@Rikke_Cardoso If you are feeling lucky you might have a look at what I did, yet I give no guarantees, so use at your own risk.

Kind regards
N

Hi,

has anyone here got that dell 3847 A11 nvme modded bios, that they would like to share?
could it be emailed [email protected]

i can try it out on a dell 3847?

Thanks Andrew

If you are on the “Try out” mode and knows how to recover a failed system, then its simple, follow my previous post and start working, other than that only a share from a user who took the risk for you…and him.

EDIT: I dont have a mod file for it or the machine model.

So you Dont have the bios to share then ?

Hi,

If you have that bios mod , I’m willing to give it a try on an old Dell I have here ?

Let me know - [email protected]

Thank you

Quick reply because it’s time I hit the sack.

Notice how the initial request was for an Inspiron 3647 and yours for a 3847 (unless it was a typo), so different machines. They could share the same firmware even then, but BIOS modifications need to be performed in ones’ dump, they can’t be used in other machines even if the model is the same.

Or rather, the can, but shouldn’t, because it is not just the common code that goes in a BIOS dump, it is also identifiers and whatnot about a particular machine. Things like, OEM Windows licensing would become invalid if flashing a modification made for a different person, or the machine serial number, asset tag, etc.

Which is why MeatWar directed OP to create a dump of their BIOS and then follow a guide to enable or add NVMe support. Personally I have no experience doing it, would I follow a guide to do it if I needed to? Sure! It’s all learning either way so it’s good. Now, doing it for me is one thing, I’m comfortable with it because I know the risks involved and I have accepted that if anything were to go wrong I’d need to use a programmer on the SPI chip directly to go back to some sane state; doing it for another person adds another layer of responsibility that not many like to take on.

That said, the guide seems quite well made :wink:

It’s for the 3847 it was mentioned in these threads as a 3647, which wasn’t what was required .

Anyhow, does anyone have the modded NVMe a11 bios ? It’s an old pc so no biggie if it bricks it, it’s just worth a shot , if anyone could kindly let me try ?

Regards Andrew

“no biggie"if it bricks” So what your waiting for? Too lazy to follow the guides, like thousands of users already did…seems so, your wait could be in vain my friend…

EDIT: No rudeness dear… just your true intentions that others do the work for you and no sympathy for the forum, the help/tips or for users that gave their time and dedication to the wonderful guides, free for all… oh and you have no intentions to learn also.
But you do have a business dont you…is it free?

Anyway all the best for you and your business, good luck.

EDIT: Glad you made, enjoy.

EDIT: Done… free advertising no? Ok…

Need need for rudeness dear

I’ve got the modded bios all good , many thanks for the advice meatwar👍

Anyway , all the best for you and your business as well😊

1 Like

Could you remove the picture you have uploaded please of my business, this has nothing to do with the thread, and contravenes the forums rules as well.

Thank you !

@Fernando
Follow all steps to get NVMe support for my Dell inspiron 3647 BIOS. I did a clean dump and inserted NvmExpressDxe_5.ffs into CSMCORE module successfully. I updated successfully. But… The “PATA” OR “PATA_SS” mode or something similar does not appear in the BIOS to identify NVME support. Could you check my MOD file and tell me where I’m going wrong???

@NandoSbarra
Welcome to the pure English language Win-Raid Forum!
Since I don’t speek Portuguese and do not understand your request, I cannot help you.
Please translate your post!
Good lick!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

That was a mistake! Where did you find that advice?
According to my Guide you have to insert the NVMe module below the undermost listed GUID module of the DXE Driver Volume. The search for the CSMCORE module had only the sense to find that specific Volume within the BIOS.

see if I did it correctly now

@NandoSbarra
It seems, that you haven’t inserted the NVMe module beyond the undermost listed module of the DXE Driver Volume (the “Freeform” module has a GUID!).
Please attach the modded and the original BIOS file (or give me the link to them).

Inside the rar are the Original Bios and Mod Bios

Inspiron-3647.rar (6.6 MB)

@NandoSbarra
Insert it after the GUID: 30ACC954-36FF-4C09-B2F5-DFDDAB7002A5

This is the end position of the respective CSMCORE volume, you have placed before this last GUID and should be placed after, as last DXE driver position on the volume.

Just a note, the method you’re using is the UEFI tool method, the method with the AMI MMtool 4.x (5.x can insert the small_variant_4) requires additional available space on the volume for insertion, which requires additional actions, also linked in the guide.
But as you mentioned that the previous BAD mod was successfully flashed and the motherboard survived… seems she doesn’t complain about the method used.
Good luck.