[REQUEST] enable fan control in Supermicro X9/X10/X11 mobos

Hello all!

There is a sizeable thread over @ STH forum, where many, many users are having no luck getting their PWM fans to spin a little less fast, thus a bit more quiet.

Small rant: supermicro are a bunch of dicks… I have a few X8 mobos, all have fan control in BIOS, ie X8STE, X8DAH.

But there is no such UEFI/BIOS fan control in any of their X9/X10/X11 motherboards (definitely not in X9 mobos, I have a few of these, none have the option).

I’m hoping/guessing it may be real easy to add support, regardless of model, or generation of mobo. Obviously grabbing each BIOS file & modding individually is out of the question… maybe a small app or script or something, simply add one’s BIOS file, & modded code gets injected, voila! modded BIOS for relevant mobo, now with fan control.

Could some magician help out? If you’re willing to wait, I’d even be happy to give a paypal donation!

TIA

Well you’re wrong… this is not a “democracy” and im sure Supermicro wouldn’t like to see “You can add whatever you want…”
Damm since 2016 and not even one “brain” figured it out… thus very odd since you can add all real easy humm?

First of all there an embedded hw monitor controller on every motherboard, you’re assuming SP uses same model of IC and hw controller routines for all those motherboard models. Second, almost impossible to add new features to the bios code, you dont have available the necessary tools/code to work with.
Third, this is mostly server class motherboards with custom layouts and designs from an OEM, and they sensors behaviour could be linked/dependent to more specific co-processors/ICs controllers, like IPMI for ex.

What you can do, is search for related options/strings in bios, that can be locked to user visibility and it maybe can be turn on to user visibility, regardless what would result in the motherboard behaviour, it can work or not.
Lead versions of the AMI AMIBCP tool can be useful to such task.
An alternative tool is presented here, the UEFI Editor

Good luck.

your X8 have no BMC. no working CPU, no FAN control
X9/X10/X11 ‘F’ motherboard have BMC, control supervisor of NVMe HDD CPU RAM and other Temps to keep hardware alive. supermicro WS boards with out ‘F’ have FAN control in BIOS. you buy server mothermoard, you get server motherboard.