[REQUEST]Gigabyte Aourus Z390 Master Disable HPET

@whosalty - Thanks. Yes, possibly, about the CFG Lock?? I didn’t do anything in regards to that, nor should what I did have any effect on anything you did before that?
But if you need me to I can properly hard disable CFG lock for you if you want, let me know. Also, thanks, sounds like having that disabled, how ever you tried, may indeed have an affect windows booting, or something else is wrong since it’s failing for you

If I change it, I will set default disable for all places that hold CFG lock settings (all NVRAM, all internal NVRAM, any shadow NVRAM copies/GUIDs, and change Setup module defaults + AMITSE/SetupData).
Aside from that, just changing all the default settings, to fully disable MSR 0x2E you often need to do actual edits to other modules as well. Usually in powermanagement module, or in this case in “SiInit” in the 2nd to last PEI Volume of the BIOS
Change 81E10080000033C1 -> 9090909090909090 via direct hex edit, do not rebuild the volume >> Direct hex edit location = E707ADh

@Lost_N_BIOS

I meant the fastest but not the most secure microcodes. Im not sure what those are atm, if your not eitherjust let them be…

Everything else you mentioned sound great,oh and also access to the ACPI options if possible, like three strike counter, 8254Timer and all that good stuff!

@petterkkk - There is no “Fastest” microcode really, most of that is placebo effect and or “in people’s heads”, especially when it comes to microcodes like this which are all POST-Spectre/Meltdown fixes (all have them, so all same/same in general)
Also, I fogged over comment about NVME when I replied on that, saying “NVME Mod” etc. This BIOS is already NVME compatible, nothing to do there.

Sorry, I\m not sure what “all” your referring to at the end?
Please see the list of common bugs in these BIOS below, you can access MANY hidden BIOS areas like this, if something you need is there and you see it in exact location in AMIBCP, but cannot see it in BIOS, let me know what items by exact name and I will unsuppress them for you.

1. If you mouse-click into “Settings” tab, then mouse-click into PC Health Status, then ESC button on KB out, you’re backed out into a more advanced layout of the Original BIOS M.I.T. section as seen in AMIBCP.
This does not work if trying to click in via KB only. Also, after you do this, you can’t ESC back out of many of these submenus via KB it will try to save/exit from BIOS when using ESC until you click back out of that area to another section and reset it.

2. Same as the above mentioned bug, if you mouse click into System Info, then mouse click into “Plug In Devices” submenu, then ESC via KB back, you’re dropped into a more advanced Peripherals page as well, as you can see it in AMIBCP.
There is more settings inside both of these areas that aren’t visible via regular menu sections, but many still are suppressed even in this trick/bug menu layout.

So, please confirm all this OK and what you wanted before I do anything. This is my current planned change log for your BIOS F11e
1. RST UPD >> (BOTH) 17.8 RST
2. HPET Hard disabled >> You should still >> BCDEdit.exe /set useplatformclock no
3. RGB Fusion unsuppressed (access via "Bug #2 only)
4. Qflash Unlock

Im pretty sure there is also this SATARaid driver or something thats supposedly newer? But maybe its already included…I believe you!

I hereby confirm its correct! :smiley: EDIT: Read your post on that it is alot of work to make that switch visible (HPET). So then its perfect if u get the time to do the above!

Other than that, perfect!
-----------------------

forgot to tag u @Lost_N_BIOS , dno if you get notifications either way :slight_smile:

I don’t get any notifications, inbox too full as-is, so I had to shut that off. I see all new posts, this is my homepage - forum.php?show=last

To your first comment, yes, that’s why I said RST (BOTH - one GUID is named SATADriver in some BIOS, or maybe all?) << Those have nothing to do with NVME

On making HPET visible, yes, it’s a huge time consuming task, but it can be done. However, unless I tested wrong, then it doesn’t work even when visible now that they’ve redone the BIOS structure.
They probably broke the setting, they did a LOT of things all wrong when they “Remade” the BIOS for “Improved Layout” in past year or two. I don’t care about HPET, so I could have tested wrong, and then only later during HARD Disable test I tested properly, not sure.
Either way, it’s 1000% times easier for me to make a hard disabled HPET BIOS for someone than it is to make the setting visible. Comparison is 5-10 minute edit per any BIOS to hard disable, vs at least several hours or a few days if I don’t have several hours at once to dedicate to the HPET visibility edit.

It may also be possible to make visible like RGB, and then access via Bug #1 or #2, I have not looked into that yet. This would be a simple edit too, if HPET functions when visible this way.
I will do this and test, then if it works that way, I will make visible for you this way instead of hard disable, that way you can toggle easily if needed.

OK, I will make you BIOS as mentioned at post #23 (Except #2 relies on my findings from above mentioned test), I may not have time tonight but I will get to you first thing tomorrow if I can’t tonight

* Edit- Never mind above, I was replying without looking at BIOS and I forgot where HPET was. Due to it’s location, and how they’ve done the restructuring incorrectly, there is no way to make it visible to access via bug or without bug method access, without direct item swap or direct item/submenu swap
Summary = as mentioned above, best way to do this is just make HARD HPET Disable BIOS for anyone that wants it

No worries about them not being visible - appreciate your work though! I can also just take a stock, and set all HPET settings to disabled myself probably though. Dont sweat it if youre busy.

DISCULPEN POR SALIRME DEL TEMA SOY NUEVO EN LA COMUNIDAD no encuentro la opcion para crear un tema sobre si alguien podria facilitarme la BIOS de la placa ASUS Z97-A (Archivo Bim)

@petterkkk - I thought you did that already and said it wasn’t working??
I don’t think it works like that anymore (that easily I mean) since they’ve redone the BIOS oddly (ie messed up the BIOS for some AMIBCP edits as we know it), but it might work OK that way, you will have to test and see (Let me know)
But, no matter what, doing HARD Disable on HPET is not a problem for me, easy edits as you mention, so it’s not an issue

Here is my quick checking result after a HPET HARD Disable (in general, not this exact model)
HPET CPU_z Timer Info - Before/After HPET Hard Disable

@iroloi - Make a new thread button is at top left of the forum sections - BIOS Modding Requests
Also, English only here please and thanks

Didnt work …Can u do what you propose then?:slight_smile:

I thought it failed using only AMIBCP, did you do (any) NVRAM edit too, or not?
When I do HARD change to any setting, I change it everywhere, so there’s no possible way it can be enabled/disabled >>
ALL NVRAM at top of BIOS 1 or 2, Shadow NVRAM if found in last PEI volume (in this case 77D3DC50-D42B-4916-AC80-8F469035D150 << Direct hex edit only, on entire BIOS as whole), internal NVRAM in main BIOS volume near AMITSE, setup module, AMITSE/SetupData
I will include files I edit for HPET before/after + notes, so you can do this edit yourself later if needed

Anyway, yes, I will do it for you as mentioned Doing edit now Please watch this space for edited in BIOS

* Edit @petterkkk - Flash via Qflash, clear CMOS after flash, load optimal defaults once you enter the BIOS, save/reboot-back-to-BIOS and then make other changes you want
https://ufile.io/ne2xjyz6
New link - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…553594289260954
Mirror - https://www.sendspace.com/file/yxje60

Thanks alot! Yeah I did both NVRAM and disabled at all places in menus appearing in AMIBCP - however, I accidentally also activated IRSTe, so took about 8 times as long as it should have…Will try yours asap - however, is it true that as of 19H2 (Windows10Pro), the QPC is set to 10Mhz either way? I cant really figure out what’s best - I have read documentable comparisons between certain game engines with and without HPET, and definitely has better performance and less stuttering without HPET - but what about TSC/TCO?

I get the same results as your picture - however, QPC stays at 10Mhz solid either way, so Im gonna try your bios to see if there are any changes. I sort of recall something about Microsoft setting a fixed clockrate at the Windows “software” timer, which for all I know might be just that - the QPC…

Again, awesome and thank you.

@petterkkk - I don’t know about HPET, I mean I don’t know how it affects people much, how to check etc, other than what I showed in that image.
But, as you can see in that image, no, it’s not always 10MHz QPC no matter what, and that test was done on Win10 Pro.
With BIOS HPET enabled and useplatformclock set to yes it’s 24Mhz, only 10MHz once useplatformclock is disabled
With HPET Disabled in BIOS it’s 10MHz with platformclock Disabled, but only 3.xxMHz with useplatformclock Enabled along with the HARD HPET Disable.

I’m glad you asked, I had been saying that wrong when telling people how to use HPET and BCD edit, I just realized!!
You should leave BCDEdit.exe /set useplatformclock YES (Default) for lowest QPC/Timer results, once HPET Disabled in BIOS
I didn’t see it properly until looking at those images again just now to try and explain how I see the results on paper

So it should be BIOS Disabled HPET + BCDEdit.exe /set useplatformclock YES (default) for lowest QPC/Timer results

Sorry, I don’t know about the other timers, only to say that TCO is disabled by default in BIOS.
I didn’t think any of these applied to gaming issues like stuttering, I thought people affected by stuff like this were mainly audiophiles and those trying to work with audio equipment etc who then would run into static and timed beat issues etc
I’ve never seen anyone mention anything gaming visual related like stuttering/tearing, with HPET or timers, I thought that’s usually a GFX driver or setting related issue

Thanks so much for the explaination - I found out by trying various stuff and measuring in CPU-Z like you showed me. I appreciate that!

I now have, 3.58 on ACPI, QPC and the last one - Is lower better in this case? I assume so? however, I can easily get the 10Mhz timer resolution of the QPC value by setting it bcd /set useplatformclock false or bcd /deletevalue useplatformclock , as you just mentioned - but which one, is better? I mean, lower latency = lower numbers, I assume?

Before I was lucky enough to get you to modify the bios for me, I had 32Mhz on QPC or something like that, while the ACPI and last one was the same as now, 3.58 or similar.

Also, I have set bcd /set disabledynamicticks yes - is this something you would recommend? I want the lowest latency and the highest framerate ofcourse, question is though,if its actually really needed to set that specific parameter seeing as HPET is disabled anyway - This is just a guess, but Im guessing that dynamicticks affect the tickrate the system is running at which is dynamically adjusted for different load conditions - so if that is true, I believe this command also should set the tickrate to the maximum (or lowest latency, rather) instead of adjustning for different load. Am I right in this theory?

There are so much ignorance on the internet about these things, some claiming these bcd commands actually disable HPET etc, which is not true.

I also would like to know what timer the QPC is actually using once the HPET is disabled - I would love to be able to use the TSc clock, which is by far the closest timer to the CPU which then again would probably be the fastest. But for all i know, that is the case when HPET is disabled. But since X86 by Intel, really, is actually a mess in this regards with fallback timers everywhere - It could be the ACPI timer, or the TCO timer or the LAPIC.

I know I ramble alot right now, but this is rather complicated to understand with how QPC is implemented in Windows 10 Pro 19H2, and thus, I want to be able to use the fastest timer.

Also, in AMIBCP, I can enable/disable the DSP on the sound chip - by default this is disabled. Why is that? DSPs are extremely fast as they execute instructions in parallell with extremely tight timing - I assume this would offload the CPU by enabling it?

I hope you have the chance to help with atleast the last one, as I notice, especially in games that rely heavily on the CPU, that the more sound and noise in the game, the FPS drops by quite a bit , actually from 3-400fps in CS:GO to about 200-250 FPS, while when rather silent,even if things arehectict (in pistolrounds with silenced guns for example), the FPS is higher.

Could enabling the DSP in AMIBCP (or make the audio options visible in the BIOS) be an option?

I am not nearly as good as you are in hex coding etc, and so I dont know how to get this bios, which I think is rather messy compared to, say, my ASUS board which I accidentally bricked by flashing a bios I almost built from the ground up because I forgot to set the right offset at the start of the bios entry…

I don’t know about these timers, only what someone showed me about how to check HPET (This image - https://i.imgur.com/gMcDJE0.png)
What I said was BIOS Disabled HPET + BCDEdit.exe /set useplatformclock YES = 3.xx on QPC, otherwise it will be 10 as you mentioned.
Maybe @st1cky can stop by and explain/answer for you more about this, he was one who helped me to help someone else, and gave me that timer image above.

As to your other question about the BCD command, I don’t know, I only know BCDEdit.exe /set useplatformclock YES/NO
Maybe St1cky can answer you more on your questions

Sorry, I also have no idea about DSP either I mean, I don’t know what it does, what is best to use etc.
I don’t know if AMIBCP change would actually apply to that setting or not. PCH/IO can be made visible, this is what I do when I make HPET visible (this menu as a whole), and unless my testing was wrong before, changes didn’t apply when visible.
But I only tested HPET as that was goal, and I may have been in hurry/did test wrong etc, not sure. This is in-depth edit, takes hours or days to do, so far from ideal vs hard setting what you want for DSP same as I did for HPET
If you want, I can set it to whatever you want HARD way same as I did for HPET

If you could hard disable the TCO timer (its a watchdog timer), the Intel ICC watchdog as well, and set the Audio DSP to Enabled.

Here is a picture, I think we both can learn about it that way becauseI will ofcourse report back.

Like this i believe should increase performance, if possible to do by “hard enabling” it - whatever way that does not interfere with your life because of me.

So first, this is a list of things I want to try out (hard-enabling/disabling) them as this bios does not work well with AMIBCP and since making the menus visible is alot of work, I dont want to ask you to do that.

* Disabe TCO timer (its a watchdog timer which reboots when pc is crashing, but is very slow and uses 120sec to do that)
* Enable Three Strike Counter and any other reference to a TSc timer (TimeStamp Counter).
* Disable ofcourse HPET in all ways possible.
* Disable Intel-ICC → Watchdog
* Enable Audio->DSP Processor in all places, even post/pre-processing of sound/speech with IntelSST and not Windows Cortana.
* Set Audio to I2S under Audio options, and codec set to Realtek …etc. There is some description on what non-UAA and UAA-modes. See picture.
* Set Audio speech processing by DSP to IntelSST.
* Enable DMIC 0 and 1 - and SWND #2.
* Disable OS timer or set to best possible value like TSC if possible
* Enable PCI Latency Optimization under RC-ACPI Options (AMIBCP) and enable “MSI” (and MSIX ifyou find it)
* Disable Hibernation and suspend (S3) under ACPI configuration, and dont enable autoconfiguration of ACPI.
* Under Platform settings in AMIBCP, if possible, disable PS2 keyboard and mouse and ALSO the serial port (its a NCT superIO chip which sends interrupts not needed)
* Disable internal GPU everywhere possible and if possible remove reserved memory size for it as I never need it - that includes GVT memory allocation as well.
* Set EDRAM hardway to HW-mode and disable C-states, EIST
* I dont know about CPU Wakeup timer if better enabled or not, do what you want with it, but disable everything power-saving as it hurts performance alot.
* Theres options like C6RAM which I dont need, so disable.
* Disable VT-D, VT-X and other virtualization techs and hyperthreading becaue I only have a i5-9600K,not an i9.

I know its alot to ask for,but we can discuss some donations in PM if you can manage this, even if its alot.

Should you happen to find out how to make some of them visible too,thats a plus, but I dont NEED it if you do it like I propose above. I think this bios will be very optimized, especially since we set the PCI Delay Optimization to enabled, which also was in Asus Z390-F and made a huge difference.

And please, do what you think is better for performance that I have not mentioned as well. I believe the DSP enabling aswell as I2S enable so that it links to the Realtek audio codec is a very boost in performance.

Here is SOME of the options I BELIEVE will be better, but if you disagree, do what you want without asking.

https://ufile.io/negy157s

Best regards,
petter k

--------------------

Probably best to just use the bios you just made for me as a starting point if you decide to do this. Iwould need it asap because of some assessment I have been thinking of publishing about these clocks and etc by measurements.

if some settings are hidden I can open all settings

TCO is disabled by default. There is a lot of “etc” and “plus whatever” in there, if you want me to do a huge list of edits like that, you have to be exact for any and all settings, I can’t guess what you need or mean
Some of what you mentioned, you can change yourself in the default BIOS, and or via hidden menu access using Bug #1 or #2 that I showed you earlier (Such as C-States, EIST, Serial Port and maybe a few others too) << On this, some may need revealed first, I’d have to check once you have your list made out.
i5 CPU can use virtualization, but if you never use it, then yes that can be disabled if you wanted.

To your last point, shoot me a PM whenever if you want and yes, I can set any and all things exactly how you want, but you need to make out an exact list of settings and what YOU want them set to
I can’t choose for you, this is not my arena - I only edit BIOS, don’t know what is best options-wise.

@amd_comeback - these “newly redone” Gigabyte BIOS are not like usual AMI Aptio IV BIOS, they messed up plenty that is usually easily modified via known AMI methods (even the advanced type of editing does not apply to these BIOS like others in the past)
Unless you know some trick I don’t know yet?? If yes, show me, edit Z390 M Gaming F9G or F9h and make PCH I/O menu visible.
It’s possible, via swap some item or submenu with PCH-I/O, but that takes a long time, lot of data collecting etc before doing the edit, and it’s far from ideal when someone just needs access to one setting in there.
But if you know how to do for sure, please do, and send to me, so I can see how it’s done your way, thanks

Ok, so here comes the specific list of options that I cant control, and I want them HARD disabled/enabled:

* HPET: DISABLE
* TCO: DISABLE
* ALL watchdogs in entire bios, think about 3 (intel icc, asf(?), debug and acpi).
* DSP: ENABLE, there are at least 2 places + like in the audio picture, set to I2S and select the Realtek codec so that intel HDA links to Realtek.
* Base it on your last bios you made for me which was awesome.
* Regarding ME i get really confused - i do believe it gets messed up after flashing a bios like this - you know more than me, so do whats best.If its bestto not have it, perfect - if not, please fix it. Donation we can discuss when bios is under way.

try this new version that i can find last

-------------------

[Help] Full Unlocked Acer Nitro 5 AN515-43
@Lost_N_BIOS
Is there no way to open the amd cbs separator when i look through the h2ouve program there are amd cbs settings but hidden on bios please help my dear friend
@Lost_N_BIOS

AMIBCP 5.02.0031.rar (3.71 MB)

Plus every option about sound etc that ARE specific in my previous post, DMIC0&1,SWND etc. Theseare options for the codec to be initalized correctly.

Take both lists and do the best you can from what you understand - if in doubt, dont touch. :wink: Also, remember like it says in list, to disable hibernation, suspend etc.

I have never gotten the RAID OPROM to work even with Legacy mode, but it may be because I have 1 HDD, and 2 SSDs, in which the SSDs are running in raid, while the HDD does not. Maybe the legacy oprom does not support PCIe devices.