[REQUEST] How to connect 2 M.2 SSDs to the same PCIe slot?

@paranoid_ android
Sorry to hear flashing of the modded bios isn’t working, if a hardware flash device isn’t your cup of thea (isnt mine) you could also consider using another booting method like DUET or CLOVER boot. [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS
The really easy way to make use of NVME would be to use a SATA SSD drive with windows then install the Swap-file and any software/database you need to go fast on NVME.
About Intel ME, the advantages of updated ME would be to secure ME more and get the latest workarounds implemented in ME.
Unless someone has physical access to your system using ME to gain access to EFI region does not appear to be possible/practical for hackers unless your bios has remote bios management enabled and open through firewall. A more secure ME when a hacker has physical access seems to me like it isnt worth the effort since there are somany other attack vectors.
So unless somthing is malfunctioning it might not be worth the effort.
To secure BIOS/EFI updating to latest windows should update to the latest microcode and using a good antivirus should protect you from known attack vectors of spectre/meltdown through the web.

@JackSted
Yep, leaving the bare OS on a sata ssd and installing/transferring the rest including swap files to nvme drives seems like the easiest alternative to me.
I have split my systems in diverse partitions/volumes anyway. And the heavy load that I’d need the mvme SSDs for is caused by third-party software and processing files anyway.
I just preferred the idea of omitting sata SSDs completley for the OS and core components, so I’d have the controller ports free for future “second-level highspeed” storage solutions like 4TB 860’s.
Quite ironic that the machine that allowas me to bitfurcate by default and that would support the use of 10 NVME SSDs without any compromises (cooling issues left aside) is the machine that most stubborn against any firmware or bios modifications.
Also at @Lost_N_BIOS , isn’t there a method to bypass these flash protections or security checks? Would a AFU version that supports the hidden bypass option be enough? Or ist it not suitable for aptio4 bios/fw anymore?
I could still go for a programmer though…

@paranoid_android - show me BIOS page showing ME version info, you can also check with HWINFO64 in the large window, expand motherboard section and find ME section then look at ME Firmware version. If it doesn’t show up, that may be due to it’s type, maybe HWINFO doesn’t recognize it.
V2 may be correct, it may be TXE or SPS. You can also drop BIOS onto ME Analyzer and it will show you ME version, if ME is included in your stock BIOS download ** Yes, I checked, it’s SPS 2.01.07.231 in BIOS 5802, for this use regular ME V7 tools package (at least FPT should work plutomaniac says for SPS V2)

What security are you needing to bypass, and what error are you getting (Show me if FPT) If it’s 25 or something that says protected range registers, then yes we can get around it, but you need to program a BIOS with that lock removed into the board first before it’s gone.
There is a tool that may remove it “live-on board” but I’ve not seen how high success rate of it is vs bricking BIOS, so not sure it’s 100% safe to use without programmer in hand. If you want the tool, and it is error 25 or similar, let me know I will link

And yes, many AFU would bypass stuff like that and flash a mod BIOS, but you need to find the correct one that works for this board/BIOS using the stock BIOS first.
See if any of these will work for you, first test saving current BIOS, then test flashing in stock BIOS. In several of the version folders there is a GUI.exe (w/ icon image) and a command line version exe (without icon image), try both for each version when both are present.
Once/if you find one that works to save your BIOS and flash stock, then it should flash mod too usually
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…209713613634650

Also, try this method and the version included in the download package from this guide
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/592…r-motherboards/

And, if you find version of AFU that saves and flashes your stock BIOS, but wont flash the mod, then use that version but do it using above method

Hello. I apologize for my English, I used a translator.

My workstation:
- asus P9X79E-WS
- i7-4930k
- 8X8 Kingstone hyperx 1600
- palit geforce gtx 1080 ti gamerock
- sata ssd 256 samsung pro
- and 8 hard drives of different capacities

What is available:
Corsair Neutron NX500 NVMe SSD 800 GB.

What do I want:
I want to download Windows 10 from the Corsair Neutron NX500 NVMe SSD 800 GB.

What is done:
Corsair is installed physically installed in the PCIe 4 slot.

1) used different versions of bios from this thread of the forum
- P9X79-E-WS-NVME-PCI-ADV-IOH-Mod4
- P9X79-WS & P9X79E-WS_BiosMods_NVME-Bifurcation_latest_2019-01-13
- P9X79-E-WS-NVME-PCI-ADV-IOH-Mod4 + UEFI BIOS Updater (made by myself)

2) Advanced >> System Agent Config >> IOH Config7
IOU1-PCIe Port x4x4 or x8
PORT 1A Link Speed ​​- auto \ gen1 \ gen2 \ gen3
PORT 1B Link Speed ​​- gen1 \ gen2 \ gen3

3) Advanced >> PCI Subsystem Settings
Above 4G Decoding - enable \ disable

4) Advanced >> System Agent Config
memory mode - independent \ mirroring

5) Advanced >> Onboard devices configuration
enable \ disable all devices

6) boot
Fast boot - enable \ disable
CSM - enable \ disable (UEFI, legacy, both)
secure boot - os type - windows UEFI \ Other OS
secure boot - os type - windows UEFI - key management - clear secure boot keys

7) usb flash drive with Windows 10 is made correctly, FAT32, GPT. Works on other computers on regular disks (hdd or ssd).
8) before installing windows all drives were physically disabled.

What did you get:
1) In different configurations of bios settings - sometimes in the boot section, my disk is seen as Pata SS
2) In different configurations of bios settings - my disk does not appear
3) In different configurations of bios settings - when installing Windows 10, my disk is seen \ not visible.
if seen, it gives the opportunity to delete \ create a partition.
BUT never managed to install windows, it reaches either 0% or 1% and error 0x80070001 pops up

4) from under my old system (with sata ssd) - sometimes my disk is seen \ not seen
if seen, it is sometimes defined in the device manager as Neutron NX500
BUT always, when it seems to work incorrectly (some buffer seems to overflow)
5) from under my old system (with sata ssd) - with the help of a proprietary utility, it was possible to update the firmware on the Corsair disk.

I do not know where to dig. Perhaps missed something, ask a leading question.
A week trying to solve this issue. Soon the wife will drive out of the house (

There is an option to change the motherboard on the P9X79-WS…

@skaf - Hmm, at least Slot4 is the one wich makes most sense since it’s the only one directly rooted to the CPU.
On my X79E-WS, (and X79-WS), the nvme ssd appeared as “PATA SS” after post.
However I did not yet install a win 7 or 10 to boot from the NVMe SSD.
But I recall it was at least visible in the windows setup window.

Some loose thoughts on the topic:

As far as I understand, secure boot should be set to “other” or custom, not "windows"
What happens if you deactivate the csm, so that the system may boot only from uefi compliant devices?

And if you simply want to run one single NVMe SSD, you would not need to make use of bitfurcation on Port4 (IOU1).
If you left these settings untouced (×8) you could eliminate some source of error.
Maybe it could help to use a bios without the system agent mod, just with the nvme boot mod for the first attempts.
If that works better we could go on.

What about the possibility of installing the new windows system on a Sata SSD first (without windows secure boot) and then clone that installation onto the Corsair NVMe?
Then disconnect all other storage devices and try to let the system boot from the NVMe?

@skaf
Did you follow [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS
especialy “Step 4. Installation of the OS onto the NVMe SSD:” ?
In my expierience changing the unlocked BIOS options exept for bifurcation (wich I doubt you need with your SSD) can cause instability. So i recommend a CMOS clear and reflash.
Also after CMOS clear you could also try stock BIOS and use CLOVER or DUET method mentioned in above guide.
The easiest option would be installing windows on a small (64-128 GB) SSD and optionally install programs and data you would need to be quick on the new NVME SSD. This also gives an added benefit of smaller system drive backups. This is my current setup.

@skaf ^^ you have to install like that, clean, following all things mentioned in post #4 and the USB media install source needs to be GPT formatting as well.

@JackSted @Lost_N_BIOS , a litte side-topic post here, this one about something working:
I added a second 970evo to my Z9 system, mounted it to the Asrock UltraQuad card and was able to access it wihout any hassle.
Of course this should go like that anyway, as the Z9 board has the bitfurcation options enabled by default.
I still find it very interesing that this feature was available for the corporate branch of socket 2011 systems since sandy/ivy bridge came up, while it was suppressed on the domestic so-called “enthusiast platform” systems.
And because X79 and C602 are from the same breed and -if I’m not mistaken- in some cases from the same silicone (with some features deactivated by firmware on X79) this should be seen as an encouragement for those who want to make use of bitfurcation on their X79 systems also.
One reason to let the bifurcation feature deactivated on X79 may be that boards for that platform usually have x16 ports integrated which are in one way or another switched or share resources.
At least on C602 dual-socket systems you can make use of 40 PCIe lanes that don’t need to be shared, like on the Z9PED8-WS board.
However, an unswiched and unshared slot like slot 4 on the P9X79E-WS should be able to be bitfurcated to ×4×4 without too much problems.
I have done that on my X79E-Ws already but did not try out the ultraquad card in there. I just witnessed that the ×4 PCIe card which populated that slot all along did still work after activating bitfurcation.
I will populate that port with a supermicro ×4×4 M.2 card sometime in the future.

Here are some impressions of the two 970s used on the Z9PED8-WS system.

[[File:P2610420_crop_ed-w1.png|none|auto]][[File:Screenshot_HWInfo_IOU1-Port2b-Bitfurcation_AsRock Ultra-Quad+Evo970_08mär19_ed.png|none|auto]]
[[File:Screenshot_SamsungMagician_Evo970-1TB_Benchmark_08mär19_ed2.png|none|auto]][[File:Screenshots_Kopiervorgang_Evo970-1TB-Evo970-500GB_08mär19_ed2.png|none|auto]]

Again, the theoretical read transfer rate is capped at ~3000 MB/s.
I’m not sure if that relates to a cooling issue (SSDs may be too cool, suggested by @JackSted ?) or if the bitfurcation and the loger signal paths through the UltraQuad card cause some lag.
I’ll see. No furhter benchmarks made yet. But benching the Evo970 500GB before gave similar results.

Poaaibly because P9X79 is a “WS” board, that or due to it was launched much earlier than the Z9 maybe, so less need to enable those back then… all guesses

Being cheapest at the time the P9X79 I have been lucky in that this board is actualy closer to an vanilla worstation c602 board not offering 4 way sli/xfire with PLX.
Funnily enough the first windows 10 install had my chipset drivers as c600 default. And yes it is funny that features in hardware are mostly present across all skews of platform are supressed in BIOS but thats sadly how the world turns, look at the tesla 3 car that has a full sized battery but you pay extra to unlock full battery in software. Hell Intel basically only bakes like 4 different CPU’s but sells them as like 200 different models with all features enabled on the EUR 14000,- Xeons.
Anything over 2200 MB/s for sequential read speed, is a good number for the 970 EVO esp. considering filesystem and PCIE protocol overhead, the samsung advertised speed of 3500 does not consider either of those. If all you want is seq. large file performance XFS or even NFS would be a faster file system if you would like to jump down another rabbit hole.
A more windows native solution at the cost of a few CPU cycles (not much more then intel RST) is windows software raid wich gave me about 4000 MB/s (NTFS) with 2 of these drives.

@JackSted - Before I got the Ultra Quad I used my first 970 on a plain PCIe×4 - M2 Adaptor Card. In any testing situation, the read speed was higher, compared to any of the 970s on the Ultra Quad.
It’s true that theoretical read speeds of 3400 as well as 3000 and even 2200MB/s are way beyond anything I am used to from Sata SSDs.
I just find it noticeable that using bitfurcation (or the ultra quad card) caps this rate.
And I was wondering what might be the reason for this. It is more curiosity shrug

Hi, everybody.
My Corsair did not work, there was no description on the Russian site of the Corsair.
European found this: “Supported platforms: Intel 100, 200, X99, X299 chipsets AMD Socket AM4 Platform”. I’ll leave it till better times.
Ordered in China, that adapter and bought a samsung 970 pro 512 GB.
All set the first time.
Thank you!

Hello everyone!
I’m sorry, I read this topic in order to understand my mistakes and gather information here on how to correctly set the desired values ​​and where, so that the expansion card for SSDs (Dell Ultra-Speed ​​Drive Quad PCIe NVMe M) works on my motherboard 2 SSD x16 Card). With certain settings, I can boot from the SSD on which Win10 x64 is installed. But the rest of the disks are not visible in the system, only one.
From the answer of @JackSted , I correctly understood that it is impossible to do this on my motherboard at all, and that will not help in solving this problem.
Click on the link to see the BIOS photo. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Mr5vAV…Ss5AVe5F7eiZySK
Or is it still possible to somehow use the full adapter for four SSD drives?

@alex_tech
Right now only 2 NVME drives work on the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card.
I suggest you try the Dell Ultra-Speed Drive Quad NVMe M.2 PCIe x16 Card in the bottom (white) PCIE slot with the first 2 NVME slots populated (with larger drives?) and IOU 1 set to x4x4.

At this moment I am unsure as to what the limitation is to enable correct x4x4x4x4 operation when set on either of the top 2 x16 (electrical) slots I only get the first and last NVME slot recognised. I suspect it has to do with missing devices somewhere in the bios for root ports 2b, 2c, 3b and 3c or that those might need some missing electrical function.

Your bios photo link gives a 404.

Offtopic: For future problems I kindly suggest you start a new thread or stick to one thread for each issue. It is much easier to follow for those that wish to help or those that have the same problem in the future. Right now you’re spread across 3 threads.

Good night, thanks for the answer @ JackSted.

I apologize, I wrote in two topics. Where exactly such a problem with separation is, and in the topic where the MOD BIOS was made for my version of the motherboard.
Thank you so much for helping me create the BIOS, I express @ Lost_N_BIOS.
I moved the link on foto from my other post, they work there. [OFFER] ASUS P9X79 DELUXE BIOS 4801 MOD NVME Dxe4 (2)

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/3sh9/YN7n7zbTo
or
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Mr5vAV…Ss5AVe5F7eiZySK

Thank you so much help!

Try the Dell Ultra-Speed Drive Quad NVMe M.2 PCIe x16 Card in the bottom (white) PCIE slot with the first 2 NVME slots populated (with larger drives?) and set Advanced \ System Agent Configuration\ IOH Conficuration\ IOU1 - PCIe Port set to x4x4. That should have the first 2 drives show up if the Dell Ultra-Speed Drive Quad NVMe M.2 PCIe x16 Card is anything like the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card.
Good Luck

@JackSted
@Lost_N_BIOS
I have my X79-E WS System running Win10 from NVME boot drive now. With CSM deavtivated an Secure Boot Enabled in Bios.

Have no designated NVME Sytem SSD for my Z9PE-D8 WS Board yet.
But just an hour ago I got the NVME-Mod Bios flashed simply using Fernandos Method with Afuwinx64 v3.05.04 and the /GAN option.

Ran from out of the command prompt’s box without any issues.
I don’t know why multiple previous attemps to flash it didn’t prove succesful… but this time it did.

Thanks to both of you so far, I don’t recall which of you did finally provide the image I used for the Z9 Board.
I got it sent from @Lost_N_BIOS , but maybe it was an updated version of one that @JackSted made.

Anyway, I’d be interested in adding recent microcode updates, ME-updates or Oprom- Updates if available.

Cheers!

Greetings,
Hopefully I won’t get scolded for asking this here (it looks like the correct thread for this question…)
Can PCIe Bifurcation be added/enabled on the ASUS Z87-PLUS motherboard?
Thanks!

• s.west

From this HW generations, only to HEDT platforms like X79/X99 motherboards.
IOMMU /SR-IOV groups

EDIT:
They do since they have their own “PLX” IC chipset and manage the PCIe lanes, this of course on a slot x16/x8 available lanes.
I think this solution is only valid for someone that has a high-end board, with a spare PCIe3.0 x16 slot that will not interfere (split) his high-end GPU on slot x16_1…
Boards with enough slots, i would advise an option of 2 separate PCIe NVMe adapters if looking for a boot/storage configuration, but the main issue on this old boards is trying to get them at least working with NVMe @ 3.0x4 on the available slots and still not to split our GPU… right? Damm hard as most of them get the rest of the slots only as PCIe2.0x4
But definitely not money to spend on a “Plus” board…my opinion only.

@MeatWar
Thanks for confirming what my additional research was telling me (to the extent that I knew/understood what I was looking for : - ).

Do those spendy NVMe adapters (e.g. Amazon.com) solve this problem? I don’t think I’m going there since the whole point of the exercise of modding the Z87-Plus BIOS is to save money! But I am curious.

Cheers!

• s.west