[Request] HowTo RollBack to an older HP Insyde BIOS

Hello,
I have the same problem, i want to downgrade from F.28 to F.27 because last update disabled my ethernet controller i can’t open on bios settings, i try H20EZE with decryted firmware and i changed BIOS version F.27 to F.29 my problem is CHECKSUM,CRC32 changed after the version change , I cannot downgrade from HP Emergency Recovery and UEFI Dignostic Tool does not accept signature file, How can we change bios version without checksum change and CRC32. Can you help me? @Lost_N_BIOS

F.28 Latest version : https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp96501-97000/sp96570.exe

F.27 previous one : https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp93001-93500/sp93361.exe

My model is : 15-af113nt (AMD Processor - APU)

---------------------
@Lost_N_BIOS

4B4441EB-6F5A-4B47-819C-7652772D924E.jpeg

Lost_N_BIOS Hi Can you help me too? I have the same problem like @Zeca123. I have Hp Notebook 15-da0056TX currently at F.23 BIOS, I would like to go back to the original BIOS F.11 but update cannot allow me. hope you can kindly help me. thanks

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS ,

can you please help me downgrading this laptop bios: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/sel…/model/13556168

from F.60 Rev.A to F.03 Rev.A ?

All .exe containing .bin and .s12 files are in the link

Lot of thanks

Regards

Edit:

I only want to change the version of the .bin file of an old bios so it can be flashed cause will be “Newer” as you said in your post.

@voug
Lost_N_BIOS? I haven’t seen him active for a long time.

Hi @Sweet_Kitten

Thanks for the attachment,
What can I need to do with the zip?

Is not .s12 file a requirement?

Has the .bin of the zip the BIOS version changed?

Thanks,

Regards

Hi again @Sweet_Kitten
I tried what you posted and, after the computer restarts to install it I get "Unable to open bios signature file"

do you know which one of the files I can get extracted to “C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp” (when I run official .exe of the bios in hp page) is the s12 signature file or how can I get it?

Thanks

I think I can obtain this file if I click on “create recovery usb flash drive” I’m gonna try…

Just tried manually copy-paste .s12 from the usb recovery drive but don’t work, I get the same bios signature error. What I need to do ? Where I need to put the .s12 file?

Extract, run InsydeFlash and click Start.

Forget about s12.

No.

It has a size different from the BIOS dump because of s12 file. It’s 100% safe.

@Sweet_Kitten

Just tried with InsydeFlash and Start but after restart I get:

"Unable to open bios signature file"

how can I fix it?

Where I need to put this signature file? do you have it?

i get something like this image from hp site: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serv…7F145ECEDE?v=v2

@Sweet_Kitten are you sure this won’t brick my laptop?

I read this:

"The signature file contains the SHA1 hash of the signed signature and the SHA1 hash of the decrypted image. Since we don’t know HP’s private RSA key, then we can’t modify the signature file to correctly match the modded rom.

Also, the signature check happens at startup since the code for this check is directly in the rom. Flashing the modded rom through any method isn’t going to remove this code, so the check will still happen. I’ve had people experiment with flashing via InsydeFlash.exe, fptw.exe, the recovery utility, etc, and they all brick."

from http://web.archive.org/web/2016091621431…k-recovery.html

(link previously posted by LOST_N_BIOS in previous page)

Do you mean that the device reboots into the BIOS installation utility shell? I wanted installation to be performed entirely in the Windows. Doing a rollback in a uefi shell with is a dead end. Give me time and I’ll try to activate legacy flash mode.

Yes.

Do you mean that the device reboots into the BIOS installation utility shell? I wanted installation to be performed is entirely in the Windows. Doing a rollback in a uefi shell with is a dead end. Give me time and I’ll try to activate legacy flash mode.

Yes it reboots to bios installation utility shell.

I have 2 .sig files in “CrisisFolder” in temp folder when I run official .exe of the bios

I’m not doing this on windows 10, will I need to open the file on w10 ? maybe it’s the problem? or it doesn’t matter? I’m on win 8

Does not matter. I think I just need to make some additional changes to make it work. I’ll attach a new file when I’m done.

@Sweet_Kitten Ok, lot of thanks! I hope you can fix it

@voug
Follow the standard procedure using the attached archive to rollback.

@Sweet_Kitten I get the same message once the system reboot to shell install utility: "Unable to open bios signature file"

The software it’s like the latest bios software this time.

Will I need to add a signature file or is trying to open CURRENT bios signature file?

Thanks

Maybe I need to check something in BIOS?

Like this:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Bo…le/td-p/6640582

" 1. If your BIOS has secure boot disable that.

2. In the BIOS make sure the ability to use LEGACY devices is on and enabled

3. You can leave UEFI support on. "

I also read this https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Bo…er/m-p/6644402#

1. First let me make this very clear. The installed HP tools caused this issue. The BIOS update was lisated as a critical update. I did the update as reccomended by YOUR SOFTWARE

2. The issue is now well documented by several users in this forum that the 081B4 v.34 BIOS PREVENTS the use of SSD drives completely.

3. I / We need a resolution to this ASAP. This needs to be escalated to an Engineer within HP.

4. I need one of three options to happen:

4a: Allow me to downgrade the BIOS or provide a workaround to allow this to happen.

4b: publish a newer BIOS that fixes this now KNOWN issue .

4c: HP send me a new motherboard with a functioning BIOS that allows for SSD to be connected

@Sweet_Kitten

Edited: removed log file

From log file:

2021-10-12 18:39:18 Failed Reading BIOS Signature File EFI\HP\BIOS\New\082BD.sig

So it’s looking for a .SIG file instead of .S12 file, right ?

Let’s keep trying. It is not difficult to rollback, but I did not have enough practice doing this. Therefore, after giving you a working solution, I will describe what exactly is required for a rollback.

No.

No.

I can only help with 4a. Really. And this is the third archive that will definitely work: sp77055.zip.

@Sweet_Kitten did you read my last post with the log? maybe this can help us…

thanks

On this folder: EFI\HP\BIOS\New<br />
I only have:

EFI\HP\BIOS\New\082BD.bin
EFI\HP\BIOS\New\082BD.s12

Where I can get .sig file?

Just now. But that doesn’t matter either. I decided to go down the road where there is no need to use up storage space and there is no need to mess with signature files.

The newest bios use s12, so you probably can’t get the sig file anywhere. This is not required because, as you can see in the log, the utility reads s12 this way. They are just different versions of encryption.