[Request] HP Envy 23-d044 NVMe BIOS mod

Hi, I’m looking for insight/assistance trying to mod an old HP Envy 23-d044 AIO so it can accept an NVMe drive via an adapter in the MXM slot. Clover doesn’t work, as I think what the BIOS supports from that MXM slot is limited to one or two specific GPUs; hence I think adding NVMe support directly to the BIOS, if possible, is my best bet.

The BIOS in question will be BIOS 8.17 Rev.A (Family SSID 2ADC).

This is just a fun fixup project. 'Preciate what help I can get.

Welcome to the forum.

…“old HP Envy AIO
No model, no original bios, no bios dump, no motherboard image…
And GPU has nothing to do with NVMe support for a mod.
Sorry, but what kind of insights do you expect from this request?
Please do provide as much info as possible when requesting in a forum.

EDIT: Sry, model is indeed provided.

Using bios 8.17 Rev.A (Family SSID 2ADC) ?

I appreciate the welcome. Thank you for providing insight as to where I can start with info I can provide to move forward.

As you saw, the model is indeed an HP Envy 23-d044 AIO. I’ve edited the OP so it’s there now.
For original BIOS/BIOS dump/mobo image, I take it just one item on this list will suffice, and I should attach it to the OP?
Seeing your second edit, thank you for saving me the trouble of retrieving the specific BIOS–yes, that’ll be the one. I’ll add it to the OP.
The relevance of the GPU slot–I suppose I should be more specific–is that it’s an MXM slot which is intended for a GPU, but which (as it’s a PCIe 2 slot) I’m repurposing for an NVMe slot, if achievable.

Well for that i can’t vouch it… but as you said, this is a fun project.

Seems it uses the IPISB-NK (Lavaca3-SB)

This is 3rd Core Gen machine and this kind of bios is usually among the easiest to mod.

Follow this guide and do please make SPI backups with the Intel FPT tool from the ME8 package.

For flashing this tool can work also, if the motherboard has an ME_Jumper/Manufacturer (Bios_Config/Rom_Recovery).
Besides normal HP tool for flashing, if it fails due to security issues (Its a mod file…), it remains an SPI programmer like a cheap CH341A.

As new user level, you can attach files for now, but you can share a linked file on a sharing service of your choice.

Good luck, all the best.

1 Like