[Request] Unlocked Lenovo Y520-15IKBN BIOS

@qattos - It may be OK, I have never checked with Colibri, and not sure anyone else has either. Every time you power on system, then dump again, with any software, the dumps wont match previous ones.
The dumps will always differ if not made at same time as each other, same time powered down, dump with both, then will match if OK for read, or not.
So other dump may have been OK, but yes, 1.34 and the ID I mentioned is the only one I’ve seen confirmed working for both read and write, but am not sure what all was tested when I made those notes out.

You’re welcome, and no worries, not waste of time, I’d rather spend more time to help you than to see your system brick and you have spend time/stress out and recover it etc

@Lost_N_BIOS - You were right, dumps change when you power on the system, so Colibri might work, at least for reading the chip, I didn’t try writing.

And FINALLY, my BIOS is unlocked , Thanks to you , your patience and effort have helped me immensely, I’m so happy now, I can finally play around with all the unlocked settings, so much to read and understand but that’s the beauty of it, discovering new things.

I’ve attached a photo of the advanced tab from my BIOS.

Lenovo Y520-IKBN unlocked BIOS.jpg

One last question, should I update my CPU’s microcode?

CAUTION
To anyone reading this, if you have unlocked your BIOS and want to undervolt, be very careful because your system might not boot if you make an aggressive undervolt, but if you do fall into this issue, simply reflash your BIOS with a backup of your last working BIOS dump using the CH341 tool, and your system will boot fine.

@qattos - Yes, this is due to checksums, time/dates changing, NVRAM changes etc

Yes, if you want I can make you BIOS with updated microcodes, do you want?

Yes, below is my warning for anyone with unlocked laptop BIOS
*** WARNING - To ANYONE with laptop and unlocked BIOS!!! ***
DO NOT try to enable this graphics card or disable that card, switch cards etc. Otherwise you will end up with no display output (ie black screen) and no way to recover except by blind flash or with flash programmer.
You can change graphics related settings, like changing memory sizes, or core speeds etc, just don’t try to disable one card or change which is main etc.

Additionally, be very careful when trying to undervolt CPU, you can leave BIOS unbootable due to CPU voltage too low (Sometimes even 0.05 is too much)

1 Like

@Lost_N_BIOS - I would love to have them updated, I think it’s good only for security, right?
What else can be updated without a risk?

@qattos - Yes, it’s good for security, but sometimes can hinder performance, sometimes improves though, you have to compare and see. What is your CPU model?
I could update Intel RST also, but that’s only used if you use RAID. Realtek LAN could also be updated, but that’s only used if you WAKE on LAN or Boot from LAN
So, I assume you just would need/use microcode update, yes?

@Lost_N_BIOS - Yes, I just hope it doesn’t disable undervolting through software, my CPU model is i7-7700HQ, I think its CPUID is 906E9.
Yes why not update RST as well if it’s not going to cause any issues.
And for LAN, for some reason my LAN device isn’t being detected at all, not in BIOS and not in Windows, this happened even before flashing BIOS, can you please update it as well, maybe it’ll solve my tiny issue.

@qattos - It should not disable undervolting via software, but if it does, you know your voltage set in software so you could set in BIOS instead now since you have unlocked BIOS
Update RST would be for no reason since you do not use RAID it’s never loaded. Update LAN will not fix or help anything with LAN issue, that only for Wake on LAN or Boot from LAN.
We can update both of those, if you insist, but it would be unnecessary edit for no reason.

On the LAN issue, are you talking about Ethernet, or WiFi? If WiFi, you may have a faulty card, or the antennae is disconnected, or connected backwards etc.
Was it working back when I helped you fix this in September? If not, was it working before that? Does BIOS Main page show MAC ID? If yes, do you have any image of it from before, when it was working?

@Lost_N_BIOS - I managed to get -155mv on both cache and core for my undervolt, I believe if I set these values in my BIOS my system won’t boot, so I’m okay with using the ThrottleStop for now.
Okay forget about RST and LAN, you’re right there’s no point in updating them.
And for some weird reason my Ethernet device is working fine again :confused:
This issue started when I plugged in the new motherboard, the Ethernet device isn’t part of the motherboard, it’s on its own PCB, so maybe there’s an incompatibility, but now it’s working fine, I think flashing the BIOS solved it, maybe not, IDK.

For now an updated microcode is enough.

Since you have flash programmer, you can test setting those voltages in BIOS, then if it bricks just recover it with last known good BIOS
Before you do this, set defaults with XTU or throttlestop etc (ie remove all software changes), then uninstall them, just to be sure no conflicts. Then test, if it fails in BIOS, then you can know to stick with software method.

Nice to hear Ethernet is fixed Yeah, we can update RST/LAN module, but if you don’t use them there’s no reason to
So, update microcodes only then?

@Lost_N_BIOS - Yes, I will try undervolting through BIOS later, I’m just lazy now haha.
Yes please, only microcodes.

I hear that
OK, will do microcodes only

@Lost_N_BIOS - Thank you so much, the file you sent me worked, my system is booting fine.
Now I’m trying to update Engine Firmware from 11.8.55.3510 H to 11.8.81.3781_CON_H_DA_PRD_RGN using FWUpdate tool, the update goes through but when I check the ME version using MEInfo tool, it reports no change in the version of the ME, still 11.8.55.3510 H.

I followed this guide: Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Maybe I just need to restart :confused: IDK, I’ll report back when I have the time.

UPDATE
My ME firmware is updated now, I only needed to restart, I was dumb :stuck_out_tongue:

@qattos - You’re welcome!
Yes, sorry for late reply, you just need to reboot after ME FW update before you can see it, ME will then be reset and changeover applied

Hello @Lost_N_BIOS
It’s been almost 6 months, I hope you’re doing well.
I’m happy to report that my unlocked BIOS is still working well, thanks to you.

I don’t wanna start a new thread so I thought I’d ask you here, I’m trying to get power readings from my dGPU (Nvidia 1050 Ti), meaning how many watts it’s drawing but apparently I can’t, does it has something to do with locked vBIOS? can it be unlocked/flashed? I didn’t find anything about it on my BIOS.

I accidently disable it and i need help guys also i think we have same bios chip. @Lost_N_BIOS @qattos —> [HELP] ASUS ROG GL502VMK bricked because i disabled integrated graphics at modded bios

Hello , can i contact to you sir , and how to contact , i want to ask my laptop bios 25b64CSIG

@shobhit
If you want, that a specific person gets notified about your request/question, you should just type an @ in front of his/her username (like I did it for you within this post).
Good luck!