[Request] NVMe support for ASUS Zenbook Pro UX501J

Dear Win-Raid,

Happy new year!

I’m trying to get NVMe working on the my girlfriend’s laptop (ASUS Zenbook Pro UX501J ) (I got her a drive as a Christmas present :p), and I’d kindly request your guidance on how to modify the bios.

Would you be as kind as to help me out?

It’d really make us happy! :slight_smile:

Looking forward to your kind reply,

Best Regards,

S.

Edit by Fernando: Thread title shortened

You may be out of luck with this model, as its seems only supports PCIe SATA M.2, read the following:

I know for sure that it is possible, as multiple users have managed in this forum:

but I am a noob and I wouldn’t know where to start…
Any tips?

Thanks a lot!

S.

The thread i linked, further down posts has re-direct to that link…so good luck on your endeavor.

The same user Lost_N_BIOS, also a former user of this forum and not active anymore, just made the NVMe mod exactly what was asked, nothing more.

EDIT: Seems after all theres a user there with success on a Samsung 951 NVMe he said, ask him further guidance:

The same user shares his files, original an modded, so there you go, all at hand.

The guide for the NVMe mod your bios, if you still want to do it:
[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS - Special Topics / NVMe Support for old Systems - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

Good luck.

EDIT: Ask him @user_name or do it yourself if unsure.

@marcinkk (Also present in the winraid thread you linked) has managed to make this work, has he mentions in the last post of page 3 of the Bios Mods forum:

" Hi,

I’m the next one, which wanted to put NVMe SSD to UX501JW. I probably had a little higher motivation, because my old AHCI SSD died! :frowning:

The result of my work is in this file:(attaches file)

You will find inside 3 folders:

• original: N501JWAS.212 file from asus website, can be written with internal flash tool in BIOS, N501JW12.rom - the BIOS itself, but without asus header, this one can be used with afudos tool
  • modified: the both above files with NvmExpressDxe_5.ffs module included
  • afudos: the tool for writing and reading the BIOS, can be loaded from DOS

I’ve made the modification with the instruction from the Win-Raid Forum using UEFITool

The modified N501JWAS.212 file can be probably written with the ezflash tool in BIOS. In my case it was properly loaded by the tool, but not saved, because it was “too old” - I saved original 212 version to flash a moment earlier. My laptop was flashed with the included rom file using afudos tool."

My question would be:

Should I flash the bios attached by @marcinkk ?
Or is that file working only for his machine and I should modify it on my own?

Thanks a lot!

S.

Hi Sasiccia84,

You asked a question about a post I made more than 9 months ago. And in fact, I don’t remember much about what I was doing then … and that’s why I wrote a message then, so that I could remember anything in the future :wink:

As I wrote: The zip file contains the original BIOS from the Asus website and the same file modified (by adding NVMe driver). So if the first one is for any ASUS UX501JW then the second one is also for all laptotps of this type as well. It should be possible to upload modified version using the tool available in BIOS if your BIOS is older than 212. Otherwise you need to use AFUDOS tool.

I didn’t posted my original BIOS downloaded from laptop.

Regards,
Marcin

1 Like

Hi, can i pm you? MeatWar

Hi, thank you for reply. I understand you, but i need bios mod urgently and searching for help.

Well you understood me but seems you didn’t understood or read correctly the past posts in this thread, as all info, tips and files are in the links from me and other users.

There’s reports from user experiencies with this model and detailed info on the files shared and confirmed recently by the user marcinkk… so i dont see what else do you need for this.

Hi @marcinkk, all,

I have flashed the modified bios, then in other to check if the flashing was successful I have extracted the freshly flashed bios from my motherboard through afudos again and opened it via UEFITool and,

In the second listed: EfiFirmwareFileSystem2Guild/FV_MAIN_NESTED/Compressed section/Volume image section/EfiFirmwareFileSystem2Guild In the end of the folder I can see NvmExpressDxe (see screenshot)

Does it mean that I am now good to go?
The bios doesn’t detect my Nvme drive anyway…

Is there anything that I am missing?

Thanks for your help!

S.

Hi @Sasiccia84,

The ZenBook behaviour with the moded BIOS is a little strange … but maybe it is normal for such modification.

I’ve checked my ZenBook a few minutes ago:

• I didn’t found info about my NVMe drive in BIOS.
  • I can’t boot from my NVMe drive, but …
  • … I can boot from “Windows Boot Manager” installed on my NVMe drive (in UEFI mode).

And as I remember from the past, when I installed Windows 10:

• When I started laptop from pendrive in UEFI mode then it was possible to install system on the NVMe drive and then boot.
  • When I started laptop from pendrive in the old “BIOS mode”, the Windows said that it can’t be installed on the NVMe drive.

I think important: When I started working with my ZenBook I boot it from the pendrive with Macrium Reflect Rescue Media. And as I remember, the NVMe drive was visible there even before BIOS modification.

And the last but not least. Look at this post: [HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS - #7275 by marcinkk - it was a real challange to install system on this laptop. As I wrote there: I’ve installed it on VirtualBox, then copied to the NVMe drive with Macrium and then booted successfuly.

BTW: After another few tricks I have upgraded system to Win11 22H2 some time ago :wink: Works flawlessly :wink:

Regards,
Marcin

PS. In the post mentioned above I wrote " the disk was seen in the BIOS" but in this post, after checking, I wrote that there is no information about NVMe drive in BIOS. I think it depends on other BIOS settings, but I’m not sure :frowning:

After having successfully flashed the NVMe modded BIOS the NVMe SSD should be shown as “PATA” or “PATA_SS” within the BIOS (CSM has to be set to “Enabled” for this test).