[Request] Unlock+Update ASUS UX31E BIOS

Hi, I would like to update my bios with newest things but I can’t seem to manage on my own. I tried to follow guides made by users, but in the end I think my bios file is weird. I cant find specific ID for vbios and gop drivers inside. Maybe someone would like to help me get those up to date and insert newest microcode. This laptop is based on SandyBridge cpu with intel QS67 chipset and intel HD 3000 onboard. I’ve made a bios backup with AFUWIN4.

Edit by Fernando: Thread title shortened

ux31e.zip (1010 KB)

Bump :slight_smile:

Asus Easy flash will not fail flashing a mod…?
Why not a dump with Intel FPT tool from ME7 tools package?
Try a full dump (for safe keeping) and separate regions, you can mod and flash a bios_region only.
This needs access to the SPI regions… at least the bios_region.
All this you already may know, due to your past post on the updating the ME

UBU 1.79.2.1 can update the mcodes of the cpu and the Intel Lan module, thats it.

Now this is an earlier 6 series system, it has no UEFI GOP driver only OROM vbios that cant be updated without first perform this:
https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/guide-transfer-of-specific-intel-orom-vbios-and-gop-vbt-settings-by-using-intel-bmp-tool

1 Like

Thank you for your interest in the topic. :slight_smile:

EasyFlash will definitely not do it, but I think WinFlash should be able to do it. My guess is that this is not the most appropriate way.

I don’t remember anymore why I didn’t use Intel FPT Tool, maybe because I’m not that technically familiar with it, and AFUWIN4 was easier to use. In fact, I did an ME firmware update, but then it was impossible to save the ME backup anyway. Besides, that was two years ago and even more so I don’t remember anything. :smiley:

Is it relatively safe to use UBU on a mobile platform?

I tried to use this tutorial earlier and I think I was able to save my vbios configuration, but then I had problems how to copy it to be good. I remember that with some versions of vbios there were additional settings that weren’t there before and I got lost.

It seems that after the changes to the forum, this guide is not complete with screenshots.

I will try to backup the bios with Intel FPT tool.

Ok now I remember why I didn’t use Intel FPT Tool because I couldn’t do a full bios image.

After using the -d image.bin command I got this message:

So I used the following -d image.bin -bios and I think it ripped the bios part:

And this is what UBU gave me:

Image created by FPT Tool:
image.zip (1016.9 KB)

Pay attention to what is written, UBU version

UBU repository

Thanks for the link. :slight_smile:

This is what I get:
UBU-1
UBU-2
UBU-3

I have been able to update the microcodes. I am wondering about Boot Agent if I should replace it? There is a mention in another topic ROM Modules that I could upgrade it to CL instead of the old GE provided my DevID is on the CL list. As you can see UBU updates to the old GE. What could possibly go wrong if I force update it to CL?