SAMSUNG 950 PRO NVMe SSD 'unsafe shutdowns', NVMe driver, W10 x64 'unexpected shutdown'

@Fernando ,
I agree with you Samsung NVMe driver v1.4.7.17 is buggy.
I have uninstalled it and installed the native Standard NVMe driver.
Additional a comment:
Reliability (native driver) vs Speed (Samsung driver).
Here are screenshoots to compare ANVIL benchmarks results:

ANVIL_950PRO_NVMe_native_driver01july2016.PNG

ANVIL_SM950_PRO_v1.4.7.17_4.PNG.jpg

Here are screenshoots to compare (SIVx64 tool) SMART infos with ‘native NVMe driver’ vs ‘Samsung NVMe v1.4.7.17’:

SIV64_950PRO_native_NVMe_driver.PNG

UNSAFESHUTDOWN_SM950PRO_SIVx64.PNG

After installed MS native Windows 10 native NVMe drivers (v10586 or v14366) on all my PCs equipped with a Samsung 950 PRO I can observe NONE '“Windows was not properly shutdown” reliability error reported !

So, for me I have a solution to this issue with NVMe 950 PRO SSD device I had observed from several months ago on all my PCs equipped with: don’t use the Samsung NVMe driver v1.4.7.17 !!

Hey 100PIER, I was wondering. Was there not a Samsung NVMe driver which was one version down from the 1.4.7.17. I think it was 1.4.7.16. Wondering if that one is still around and if it too is buggy or maybe with the .16 does not exhibit the unsafe shutdowns.

I can add to confirm that since removing the 1.4.7.17 I have not seen an increase in unsafe shutdowns.

The Samsung NVMe driver v1.4.7.16 WHQL is attached:

Samsung NVMe driver v1.4.7.16 WHQL.rar (70.2 KB)

Samsung 950 Pro
Driver: Samsung v1.4.7.17
Power On Hours: 2839
Unsafe Shutdowns: 486

I am seeing this also.

Samsung_950_Pro_unsafe_shutdowns_july_2016.png

Hi!

I have the same problem, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5. Both Windows 7 and Windows 10 (same driver), after reboot the computer freezes after the boot menu. If I turn off the computer wait 5 secs, turn on, the boot is successful.
The unsafe shutdowns property is incrementing.

The problem is not present with the default Windows 10 NVMe drivers - although the AS SSD Benchmark reports ~50 MB/s writing speed with it, so I keep the Samsung drivers.

@3delite :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report.
Hopefully Samsung will deliver very soon a new NVMe driver, which is as performant as the v1.4.7.17, but without having the "Unexpected shutdown" bug.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks Fernando. I have installed the 1.4.7.16 and I will run it for a while to see if the unsafe count increases under this driver.

FYI, since having removed the 1.4.7.17 driver and using the standard one I have had no increase; still sitting at 12 since July, pic included

Capture1.JPG

http://ssd.samsungsemi.com/ecomobile/ssd…s_Driver_21.zip

v.2.1

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/min…uide_Rev2_1.pdf

Unsafe shutdown bug fix
on Windows 8.1 & 10

@imsims
Yes, i know v2.1 will finally close this NVMe driver issue I observed several months ago when posting the start post.
I had strong doubt about the Drivers v1.4.7.16, v1.4.7.17 and v2.0.0.1607
I wait for the 24h download limit exceed autorisation delay to get it and do tests.
I ignore if a possibility does exist for the "0D" smart parameter value to be zeroed…

here is

Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_21.zip (3.43 MB)

i am not so surprised by the shutdowns bugs…because i tested a lot at the hard-drives level few mainboards when i redistributed my hard-drives onto 3 computers ; what i saw with the sabertooth x79 with some ssds and big hard drives , is that if you use chkdsk of win 7 then reboot with win 10 that starts a new check of disc…when you reboot to 7 then a new check…; with a supermicro mainboard that has an adaptec chip connected to the ichr10 according to the mode of the ichr10 : ahci or raid or raid-adaptec : some partitions were readable or not , or drives where needing a new mbr signature . all were readables with raid modules but not ahci , hd are 4k cluster and finally the best choice is the ichr10 raid mode .
may be the samsung driver works well with win7…

Well, I thought this new driver would fix the unsafe shutdown thing, but I my system it still exists. I installed the driver version 2.1 on 1-10-2017. As you can see from the pic I have 2 new entries since then.

@denaba
I am in contact with Samsung SSD Division Europe.
I have already reported and documented this issue.
They are working on this issue.
The other major issue is the 960 devices drop out after PC Restart.
According to my tests it seems now fixed for 960 EVO updated with the new firmware .
However for 960 PRO the drop out problem does remain…

Samsung 950 PRO as system drive, Windows registers ‘unexpected shutdown’. Simply unplug so this error will disappear forever…|addpics|8jw-1-9c17.png|/addpics|

@antonov_063 ,
I can’t read your screenshot, however the “unplug” does not fix any of the problems.
I have done lot of 950 PRO “unplug” when doing tests, months after months, the 950 PRO ‘unsafe shutdowns’ does progress and W10 x64 ‘unexpected shutdown’ no longer disappeared on my P8Z77 system.

@100PIER - thanks for the reply. Just keeping everyone appraised on my results.

Thanks for your efforts in notifying the folks!!

same problem with the latest driver 2.1 windows was not properly shut down

same here i report this bug to samsung and wait for fix

@MirceaForce
To complete my post #33, 960 PRO and also 950 PRO are both concerned with the ‘unsafe shutdowns’ problem.
At the moment I ignore how Samsung will fix this problem which is ancient.
They are working on because Samsung NVMe driver v2.1 did not fixed the problem.

only solution is windows drivers ? right