Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 500 GB on ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE 2012 won't boot

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE motherboard installed in August 2012. BIOS 2104 last updated 09/18/2013.
I scrupulously followed steps 1 to 4 of the guide published by Fernando on this forum.

1. Inserting NvmExpressDxe_5 code into BIOS 2104 Z77VD.CAP went well;
  2. The MMTool tool shows that the NvmExpressDxe_5 code is inserted into the BIOS program;
  3. The UEFITool tool confirms the presence of the NvmExpressDxe_5 code in the BIOS program;
  4. The Samsung 980 MZ-V8V500BW NVMe M.2, PCIe 3.0 500 GB memory card is connected to a PCIe X16 port. It is accessible through a file manager. It can be formatted and partitioned. It works perfectly as a copy and paste storage unit.
  5. The installation of Ubuntu 22.04 from a bootable USB key went well. But it is impossible to start the computer on the Samsung NVMe M2 unit. It is not visible in the BIOS.
  6. Installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB drive failed with the following message:
    Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is GPT partition style.
    This computer’s hardware may not support booting to this disk. Verify that the controller for this drive is enabled in the computer BIOS menu.

In the BIOS, I tried every possible combination imaginable by varying the following five parameters:
•CSM (Compatibility Support Module) Auto / Enabled / Disabled
•Boot device management UEFI and legacy option ROM / legacy option ROM only / UEFI only
•Boot to network device Priority to legacy option ROM / Priority to UEFI driver / Ignore
•Boot to storage device Both, Legacy OpROM first / Both, UEFI first / Priority to legacy option ROM / Priority to UEFI driver / Ignore
•Boot on PCIe/PCI device Priority to legacy option ROM / Priority to UEFI driver

The computer still refuses to boot to the PCIe SSD.
Thank you for your help.
Text translated from French by Google Translate

BIOS is set as DISABLE (UEFI), no CSM as AUTO or ENABLE.

Read it: [HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS - Special Topics / NVMe Support for old Systems - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

Hello and thank you for your response.
I just performed several consecutive tests under the following conditions: the NVMe card is disconnected; all other storage units (SSD and DD) are also disconnected, only the operating software SSD remains connected. Results :
•Lauch CSM Auto: The BIOS starts and the computer boots.
•Lauch CSM Enabled: The BIOS starts and the computer boots.
•Lauch CSM Disabled: BIOS does not start. Unable to enter BIOS. I have to perform a ROM reset to restore factory settings. This block occurs in 100% of trials.
Thank you for your help.

Your old system disk is in LEGACY mode, so setting it up in UEFI causes the fail, that is correct. It will only works as CSM Enable or AUTO.

But your target now is an OS as PURE UEFI, so this settings will not be valid upon doing an installation in UEF/GPT, as it needs CSM DISABLE.
Did you read the post i linked??? Its all there…How to test the mod and how to perform an OS installation correctly… you dont like to read and learn, too bad, your loss.

Hello and thank you for your response.
After a few days of absence, here I am back on this forum to try to find a solution to my problem, that is to say boot my computer on a Samsung 980 M.2 500 GB NVMe SSD.
I took Step 4 - Installing Win10/11 on the NVMe SSD from the guide published by Fernando in April 2015, in order to check that an error had not slipped into my own process of installing the operating system.
The only difference is that Fernando recommends creating a bootable USB key using Rufus, whereas I used the Ventoy application, which allows you to have several ISO images on a single USB key.
Also, I corrected this point by creating two bootable USB keys, the first with a Windows10 ISO image, the second with an Ubuntu 22.04 ISO image. Both USB sticks work perfectly. They allowed me to alternately install Windows10 and Ubuntu22.04 operating software.
Note 1. Rufus created the Windows USB drive in NTFS, while he created the Ubuntu USB drive in FAT32.
Note 2. The installation of Windows 10 using the bootable USB key created by Rufus is successful while it failed using the USB key created by Ventoy (see my message of 03.10.2023).

Despite this development, it is still impossible to start the computer on the MVMe SSD, both with Windows 10 and with Ubuntu 22.04. NVMe SSD is invisible in BIOS.
BIOS settings.
•Fast Boot Disableb
•CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
-Lauch CSM Enabled
-Boot Device Control UEFI only
-Boot from Network Devices UEFI driver first
-Boot from Storage Devices UEFI driver first
-Boot from PCIe/PCI Expansion Devices UEFI driver first
•Secure Boot menu
-Secure Boot state Disabled
-Platform Key (PK) state Unloaded
-OS Type Other OS
Note 3. Setting the CSM setting to Disabled will suspend the BIOS. It is no longer possible to enter the BIOS to modify the settings. The only solution to get out of this situation is a ROM reset to restore factory settings. The BIOS is accessible again and CSM is set to Enabled.

The computer still refuses to boot to the MVMe SSD.
Thank you for your help.

Im sorry but first all… you cant even read the guide correctly, read or understand… that is presented by Fernando.
Second, you also cant read or understand my words correctly.

So again… NVMe as a clean OS installation is to be done in UEFI mode, NOT CSM as AUTO or ENABLE.

Nothing more is need to be set in bios of this P8Z77-V motherboard…only Secure Boot can be set as Enable or Disable, if for example you didn’t selected in RUFUS Secure boot support.

And AGAIN, the NVMe is not visible in bios because you cant read or follow guides correctly, it is common among “rush” users to skip long readings…they just dont have time to learn.

These Asus Z77 motherboards are among the most easier ones to do this mod and to setup a PURE UEFI modern OS system, in just about 30m using windows 10/11

Im not a native English language but i do not need any translator to express myself or to read other users English writing, and never needed… only need it, when new ET generations come to earth paying a visit to us, i want to drink some boose with them and they just keep steering at me when im pissing, really dont know if piss is more appreciated by them…that is still a pain in the ass!!! :crazy_face:

And please do not ask where im from… cause im not racist and i do respect all cultures and nations… even if they like “other” kind of booses :rofl:

And what do you think I should do that I haven’t done yet to make the MVMe SSD visible in the BIOS.

My dear French friend… when you click in Additional Notes: (open/hide by a click) on Step 3 - Flashing of the modded BIOS from the guide thas was linked 8 days ago, what do you read about seeing NVMe disks in bios???

Do you see the same as me or the web connection from Mars to Earth corrupts the information/display image???

So for the last time, if you’re going to setup the system according the guide in UEFI mode, these bios motherboards generations, wont show you any NVMe disks in bios like modern motherboards.

So after followed those steps to confirm the mod and finally the “genie on the bottle” granted you the wish of seeing the damm disk in the bios, reset CMOS, load defaults, DISABLE CSM and…

follow Step 4 - Installation of Win10/11 onto the NVMe SSD

PS: Please tell me that this was “illuminating” enough for you know…please please.
I beg you… get me that ASUS on an full UEFI NVMe mode please.

1. CSM to Enabled. I don’t see a “new disk drive named ‘PATA’ or ‘PATA_SS’”.
    I only see “Boot from PCIe/PCI Expansion Devices”
  2. CSM to Disabled. BIOS HANGS. It is no longer possible to enter the BIOS. The only solution to get out of this situation is a ROM reset to restore factory settings.
    According to Fernando, this option is not obligatory:
    Capture d’écran du 2023-10-11 02-19-28

Does the board have any other mods? If not the bios is corrupted or the board is defective.

I did said to “reset CMOS, load defaults, DISABLE CSM”…

If with CSM ENABLE you dont see PATA or PATA_SS then the mod is not flashed or you’ve done it wrong.

Does the board have any other mods? If not the bios is corrupted or the board is defective.
???

I did said to “reset CMOS, load defaults, DISABLE CSM”…
Done several times.

If with CSM ENABLE you dont see PATA or PATA_SS then the mod is not flashed or you’ve done it wrong.
Reread my first message from 03.10.2023. It is sufficiently developed:

1. Inserting NvmExpressDxe_5 code into BIOS 2104 Z77VD.CAP went well;
  2. The MMTool tool shows that the NvmExpressDxe_5 code is inserted into the BIOS program;
  3. The UEFITool tool confirms the presence of the NvmExpressDxe_5 code in the BIOS program;

I read that… now can you confirm that the motherboard was correctly flashed with the mod??? One thing is checking these mod files another is checking if the bios was successful flashed…
How did you flashed the mod??? USB BFBack???

The BIOS was flashed by USB BIOS Flashback. On the ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE board, simply plug in a FAT32 USB key with the Z77VD.CAP file on it and press the USB BIOS Flashback button for three seconds for the flash to launch automatically.

Well im out of this mess…

By your words, you confirm that the mod is well done, the flashing was made properly, the PCIe NVMe card adapter is compatible with the NVMe disk and the SEC NVMe disk is also OK.

You can follow on this forum several steps with users doing it themselves the mod, on Asus and other boards, and the steps they took, you’ll see that its a pretty straight operation with no other specific bios settings.

One thing is for sure my friend i had and still have to deal with plenty of these motherboards and what you report, after setting CSM to disable, the system getting stuck on POST and no access to bios, is NOT the normal operacional state of that motherboard.

So, you’ve done what thousands of users already did themselves and they moved on successfully, i can’t see nothing else that can be done remotely by a forum message service without a presencial look on this situation, get some help from a friend or a repair shop.

Wait for other users pov, good luck and all the best.

If you know someone who has an Asus BIOS 2104, last update of 09/18/2013 (BIOS 2104 Z77VD.CAP), modified NVMe, and known to work on another computer, I’m interested.
THANKS. Good night.

This indicates, that the NVMe modded BIOS has not been successfully flashed into the BIOS chip of your mainboard.

@MeatWar
Attempts with the provided file fail. Flashing the chip goes well, but the BIOS hangs on startup. It is not possible to enter BIOS to change settings. To get out of this situation, I have to reflash the motherboard chip using the original Asus BIOS version 2104 (unmodified). I have performed several restarts, the result is always the same. POST is interrupted and it is impossible to enter BIOS to change settings.
Also, I can’t help but make the link with my previous tests, when the CSM parameter is set to Disabled, POST also stops. And the only solution to get out of this situation is to restore factory settings by ROM reset. By default, the CSM setting is Enabled.
QUESTION. Does the NVMe4 BIOS, provided file, have its CSM settings set to Disabled by default? Which could explain this blocking at startup.
Thank you for your help.

@Fernando
THANKS ! I will reflash the motherboard chip using NVMe modified BIOS.
Thank you for your help.

No, no values/strings changed, the mod file was done like i did dozens of times, NVMe mod only and confirmed to work by me om my past boards and other users…

So you definitely have an issue with your system, as you see now, your file mod and my file mod , reproduces the same behaviour, this must be presential debugged by someone with more expertise.

The situation you report its only seen when the bios is modified on internal strings/values, usually when using AMIBCP, that’s why i asked before if there was any other mods in your file.

Is there any “little” detail that maybe you “forgot” to tell us about?

What’s the q-CODE displayed when the bios/post hangs?

@MeatWar
“i asked before if there was any other mods in your file”.
I don’t understand this question.

“Is there any “little” detail that maybe you “forgot” to tell us about? »
Maybe, but for the moment I don’t see. I’m going to start the whole procedure again from the beginning.

“What’s the q-CODE displayed when the bios/post hangs? »
Black screen ! No messages, waiting.