[Solved] Flashing BIOS on Dell Precision M4600 Laptop

is this the right place to post.?
my dell precision m4600 freezes at dell logo
my dell laptop now is stuck at the dell logo. the blue bar on the logo fills up all the way then freezes. pressing any key at any time does nothing.
if i press F12 to enter to bios i can see the yellow letters on top get highlighted saying preparing one time boot menu.
but like i said it just freezes so cant enter bios once the bar its all the way it never leaves that screen i have removed all components and still the same.
how this happened.?
it was working ok. i had to clean install windows 10 using usb. normally it copies the files it automatically reboots once it finishes then cortana greets you and you set up name and password ect.
but my laptop froze when it copied the files and after the automatic reboot it got stock on dell logo. iso was downoaded from microsoft and i had already installed windows 2 times few days back so iso and usb are ok. the funny and weird thing is that this is not the only time this has happened to me. it has happened to me before so now is twice doing the exact same thing installing windows 10 with usb it copied files once it finished it automatically rebooted and got frozen at dell logo. but that was another motherboard and since one of the fan plug from board was damaged i bought another motherboard with 1 year warranty. i did face some shut off while watching videos only on browser. so i sent it back for warranty but that was on dec 2019 i live in mexico but my mother goes to california often but coronavirus showed up. borders were close mothers visa expired so i had the replaced motherboard sitting there since 2019 it was sent to warranty a month before it expired back in 2020 around august. so i was sitting there till a month ago a friend came to mexico and broght me the package. so this board havent been used i only used it for like 3 weeks when it got frozen at dell logo. i hve done research trying to find out what was wrong. i came upon a thread in another forum someone with the same laptop model had exactly the same problem and he got it fixed by flashing the bios.
am trying to get it back working and spent the less i can as i do not work due to panci attacks and have no income.
i have a lot of questions.

U52 MX25L1606E
U53 MX25L6406E

Edit by Fernando: Thread title specified and customized

could not post any links as am new mwmber and need maximun 3 posts

Same error several times does sound to me more like something of your peripherals is destroying the board like defective charger? I doubt that a firmware re-flash will help you…

Anyway Dell doesn’t provide complete bios images, you’ll have to dump your existing firmware with a programmer to be able to reconstruct a firmware.

A little creativiy regarding links might help- a space after https:// might possibly do.

well what am saying is i have faced this same error on 2 different motherboards doing exactly the same installing windows 10. but tell me this.? hy i havent seen freeze while in use or say when it was copying the files.? to me seems like corrupt bios because why not freeze when it was copying.? or while in use.? why it happened once after copying files it automatically reboots and face the freeze.
i have seen several threads about people complaining about bios. many had the same freeze on logo some to the point that some cant even update the bios.

i cant still post links. after this post ill try to post links if it doesnt alllow mw ill edit link address.

like i said someone faced the same problem and fix it by flashing the bios… but i have many questions

################################################
THIS ARE THE POSTS HE MADE IN OTHER FORUM TO GET IT FIXED.

i ran a Dell precision m4600 on A15 Bios . Erverthing runs fine till yesterday. i boot up the Laptop and the Screen stuck at the Dell Logo with the Bios loadingbar finished.

I hit F12 , nothing. Unplug Cmos for 2h. nothing. Evertime Dell logo and loadingbar freezes at the end.

I read that a dell bios can be recovered with unpluged CMOS press END and plug in the powercord. But i need a BIOS file ( BIN and HDR = as far as i now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Exact model and name; >> Dell Precision M4600
2. what year’s release and what was the OS version then;>> release Date 09.2013 Windows 7
3. what you have changed; >> Bios changed from A19 to A15 to setup dual Boot Windows 10 and OSX Catalina ( Install of Catalina was not possible on A19
4. when was the last time the CMOS battery was replaced and when was the BIOS updated, if at all.>> Bios changed last week without problems CMOS Battery was just changed a few weeks ago
5. what Windows version is currently installed. Dual boot Win10 / OSX CatalinaBut without attached HD the Loading bar freezes

---------------------------------------------------------------
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN5…kd1YVRNbmRWTEZB

------------------------------------------------------------
There are a few threads you can find in the internet about this issue on the m4600, but no threads lead into a solution.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone can help me out with a Bios recovery on my Dell M4600 ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
with ch341a programmer
https://www.alisaler.com/dell-precision-…-reva00-bios-ec

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are 2 chips on the board on location U52 and U53 . Who needs the EC file and who the bin file ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
found !
It was written in the filenames :slight_smile:
U52 MX25L1606E Dell Precision M4600 Brooks 15 EVLT MBF Rev A00 Nvidia N12P-Q3-A1 EC u52.bin
U53 MX25L6406E Dell Precision M4600 Brooks 15 EVLT MBF Rev A00 Nvidia N12P-Q3-A1 Bios u53.bin

i will try to flash with ASprogrammer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solved: Bios and EC Bios written with this progammer:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07SNTL…0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CH341A-programmer-software-1.18 >> Software from here www.keeyees.com
Doing a write test with this Bios https://www.alisaler.com/dell-precision-…-reva00-bios-ec

Got Bios Post Screen ( Version A1 ) with errors
( changend service tag wrong settings and so on ) But can’t get into Bios

Nest step

Software : CH341A-programmer-software-1.29 on WIN10
Settings: Find chips
U52 MX25L1606E
U53 MX25L6406E

Testing if read is possible and than write both chips.

Laptop started and Bios settings possible. Load defaults and can boot into Win10.
Then a Bios update is possible to A3 and then to A15.

Just a littel failure is still present: Intel manage engine is in recovery state for 2 sec on boot.

Hope this information helps

################################################################

( WHY ARE LINKS NOT WORKING)???

Did you dump the content of the chip before overwriting it?

Links itself do work, but they are invalid/shortened?

And smaller file is not EC fw as written, firmware is 10 MB, distributed on one 8MB and one 2 MB chip…

NO
am a noob but i can learn
thats why am here and have a few questions.
i have not done anything i do not have a programmer. first am researching thats why i posted here. dont want to spend money before knowing what am doing.
theres the bios all the info in thread this guy fix it… but my questions was
are all the programmers the same.? because the on his link the brand is keeyees but when i search in mexico i get programmers but they done mention the brand. or are they the same just different distributor puts the brand.?
he mentions 2 chips bios and EC.
MX25L6406E is supported in the list they the seller provides… but
MX25L1606E is not on the list.? i also downloaded keeyees guide and it had the program i open it and i found MX25L6406E on the program but not MX25L1606E
after watching videos they say you need to select the correct chip. but why or how did he flash EC MX25L1606E .???

And smaller file is not EC fw as written, firmware is 10 MB, distributed on one 8MB and one 2 MB chip.

i did not understand this.? i did downloaded the bios files and i saw 2 fles i think it was 8mb and 2 mb. but my nephew deleted accedentally the download folder. so i need to download zip again.
basically before i buy programmer to try i wanted to know if they are all the same. as i am new to this. not sure if a branded programmer have more supports or they all the same thats wy i ask. and how did he flashed MX25L1606E what would happen is you press detect will it appear.? because in the program i did nt see it. have in mind that i only run the program i dont have the preagmmer i havent buy yet.
thanks you can pm me if you need links

It’s hard to understand when you cite another site and when you write what you yourself did! This sounds like you already had re-flashed something…

Those CH341A programmers are all no-name, no need to search for somthing special. Further information here: [Guide] Using CH341A-based programmer to flash SPI EEPROM

Otherwise: Get a programmer, read the two chips and attach them here or give a link to the files if stored outside forum.

And: Please write more clearly where you are in the progress and what your questions are!

It’s hard to understand when you cite another site and when you write what you yourself did! This sounds like you already had re-flashed something…

Those CH341A programmers are all no-name, no need to search for somthing special. Further information here: [Guide] Using CH341A-based programmer to flash SPI EEPROM

Otherwise: Get a programmer, read the two chips and attach them here or give a link to the files if stored outside forum.

And: Please write more clearly where you are in the progress and what your questions are!

am sorry for not beign clear. but i explained my situation and you said flashing would not help. then i told you someone with the same problem fixed it. and i also said this is what he faced and then wrote here his posts as i did not wanted to post a link to the other form. the solved part are the post he made ill try to edit post to make it clear.

ok so they are all the same ill pm ypu with a link just to make sure. ill be reading the guide. thanks
i downloaded the bios file and EC is 2mb and the other files is 8mb.
the only question is will it read the MX25L1606E as it not in the compatible list.? it should right.? as he mentioned he used ch341a.

Get a programmer, read the two chips, save the content in separate files. Attach those files here or give a link to these files if stored outside the forum. Let me check the files before trying to write the chips!!

Use Asprogrammer 1.41!

Read my signature!

sure ill be ordering programmer maybe this weekend.
would do as you say… thanks but
why are the files on the chips needed.? if they are corrupted.? i tought we could erase and use the one provided below thats the one the other guy used…
. board was on A15 when i got it i did update it to A17 both my motherboards were on A17. so i want to avoid this version. i found out that theres A19. is updating bios necessary.?
https://www.alisaler.com/dell-precision-…reva00-bios-ec/

sorry had not read your signature before.

It’s possible to check these files, maybe one can find out what happened to the firmware. If corruption can be found it might get fixed. In addition there’s machine specific data like service tag/ serial that might be saved this way, otherwise it’s lost.

In addition it’s good ‘training’, positioning of the soic clamp need a certain traiing, if you can read properly you most probably can write properly, too.

It’s possible to check these files, maybe one can find out what happened to the firmware. If corruption can be found it might get fixed. In addition there’s machine specific data like service tag/ serial that might be saved this way, otherwise it’s lost.

In addition it’s good ‘training’, positioning of the soic clamp need a certain traiing, if you can read properly you most probably can write properly, too.

order programmer last night. says maybe arrive on friday.
so i started dissaembly of the laptop. do i need to remove the motherboard from the laptop and take it out.? or just as long as i have a clear view of chips and can safely clamp them.? laptop dont need to be connected to power supply right.?

i have the old motherboard too . wich has same problem but the socket for the GPU broke when i installed the fan plug and i damage it its so small and was kind of late at night now i use a magnifying glass and a lamp.
should i try on this board first.?? or the one in the laptop.? or both.?

is there a video tutorial or images of asprogrammer.? i did a search and could not find one.
i attached pics of chips did some circles on where PIN 1 is is this correct.?
24 or 25 pins .??

ill be using this tutorial
[GUIDE] Flash BIOS with CH341A programmer

chips.zip (8.87 MB)

Yes, normally it’ll work that way.

Try first on the damaged old board. There’s the possibility to make a short with the clip, and there’s normally bad contact the first tries so you’re reading FFs or… . If you get reproducable readouts (at least 2 times absolutely identical files) you’re normally good to go to write, too.
If you just need 2 tries and everything is fine, good for you and not much time lost. If you need much training you’ll feel a lot better if you made your first tries on board that’s unfixable anyway. Put the 2 MB file at the end of the 8 MB file in a hexeditor, open the resulting 10MB file with UEFItoolE, this should give you som structure:

If you find errors in parser for your dumped old bios, you might have found the/ an area where the/ a brick happened.

Yes, that’s a good guide.

Try first on the damaged old board. There’s the possibility to make a short with the clip, and there’s normally bad contact the first tries so you’re reading FFs or… . If you get reproducable readouts (at least 2 times absolutely identical files) you’re normally good to go to write, too.
If you just need 2 tries and everything is fine, good for you and not much time lost. If you need much training you’ll feel a lot better if you made your first tries on board that’s unfixable anyway. Put the 2 MB file at the end of the 8 MB file in a hexeditor, open the resulting 10MB file with UEFItoolE, this should give you som structure:

If you find errors in parser for your dumped old bios, you might have found the/ an area where the/ a brick happened.

Put the 2 MB file at the end of the 8 MB file in a hexeditor, open the resulting 10MB file with UEFItoolE, this should give you som structure:
this i did not undesrtand very well. i have never use a hexeditor. so could you please tell me name of program. i understand i will open the 8 mb file then the 2 mb file and create a 10mb file with uefitoolie . are this the files ill be flashing .? or what is this for.?sorry

ok i got the programmer yesterday around 8pm.
this morning i tried the old board.
i got it to read after a few tries. on both chips did 2 reads 2 verifies then saved files.

i did not wanted to write to chips since you mentioned to upload first the files on chips. and i remeber the other guy saying he had in intel manage engine is in recovery state error… so thats why i wanted you to see uploaded files.
but…
i tried then to read the ones on the laptop. i managed to read 1 chip then the other i culdnt get the clamp to grab. it will just slip.
and unfortunatelly i removed a small piece on the board not sure if its called a transistor.
as of right now i have not found the piece removed i hope that small part is very common and see if a shop can solder it as i cant its too small
…sad.

i attached bios from old board and a picture showing the piece that got removed while trying to clamp the chip.
note the old board had the ecxat same problem with freezing a dell logo the same procedure while copying files and once finished automatically rebooted.
the GPU fan socket is damaged but i was using it with a fan that i could plug and unplug when not in use from usb port. so id say its was working but got the freeze on dell logo.

anything i could do to get the clamp to stay on chip. it just slips from chip.

if am ging to flash a bios bin files could we do this version as this is the latest.
https://w w w.dell.com/support/home/en-ee/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=npr01

bIoS-oldoboard.zip (6.7 MB)

That’s why I wrote about training… I assume you’re going to need that part . Looks like a capacitor to me, is there something written close to it like Cxx?

It possible to use the dell bios. Extract it, take your dump (combined 2MB file put at the end of the 8 MB file, open it in UEFITool and ‘replace as is’ the bios region with the bios region from dell update. Part the resulting file again in one 8MB file (first part) and a 2 MB file, flash into the corresponding chips.

Read the chips in a separate process, save new content to a file, compare this file to the original file, they have to be a 100% identical.

well on old board was kind of easy. but could you take a look at attached picture of clamp see the wear of plastic it should still grab on to the chip.?

as for the parts cause now i think i lost both not sure will take a picture again in daylight. as of now i want to make sure the clamp should still work. then write on old board and see if it boots to windows… at this point if it boots either remove those from old board and have them soldered or try to see if a rapair shop cant find correct and solder them.
as for the removed parts this is the info i asked already.

The new picture gave enough info. The u53 has text on its package
25L6406, and after searching for that part number I find ML25L6406
https://w w w.macronix.com/Lists/Datasheet/Attachments/7370/MX25L6406E,%203V,%2064Mb,%20v1.9.pdf
It is a CMOS SERIAL FLASH

If you look at the picture you sent, U53 has 8 pins, pin 1 is near the ‘dimple’ and the white ‘dot’ on the PCB.
The pin numbers are arranged counter-clock-wise pin 8 is to right. R779 is a resistor connected between
pin 8 and 7, C782 is a capacitor between pin 8 and GND, the traces are wide which confirms they are ‘power’
traces. I forgot to mention that the capacitor should be rated based on supply voltage, I don’t know what
that is on your board, but I KNOW it CANNOT be more than 4VDC, I normally choose a capacitor with a
voltage rating of "double the supply voltage"

From the datasheet, page 30, is this note (about C782):
Note:

To stabilize the VCC level, the VCC rail decoupled by a suitable capacitor close to package pins is recommended. (generally around 0.1uF)

Pin 7 is called "Hold#" (active low), so it need a pull-up resistor. I didn’t find anything in the datasheet with a
recommendation for the resistor (R779) My suggestion is a value between 2.2k and 10k
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as for using latest version A19 extract the .exe how can this be done.? renaming to .zip.??? take dumped files the onces it read from chips right… but the part

(combined 2MB file put at the end of the 8 MB file) this i do not understand how to do or what you mean.
then this dumpe should be open in uefitool then this is also confusing. (‘replace as is’ the bios region with the bios region from dell update) means i have to replace region only so if i understand i need to replace region file. so the .exe should have a region file. thats all i need to make this files to flash them in programmer and be version A19 i ask because it needs a battery to update bios once it boots and mine just died.
but is my dump files corrupted.? this also i dont understand i tought i would be writing new files. sorry am not that advanced.

UPDATE
could you do the A19 bios version with the file dump i attached a few posts before. i really tried searched fr a way to extract. but theres so much i cant understand.i appreciate if you could help out// am pretty sure i wont get it. or if you know a way to cheat the laptop and think i have a battery. because it wont update the bios if theres no battery. and the provided bios from sailer website seems like its A01 version.

@toti No need to hijack other threads.

- All relevant information was given to you
- The required steps are very basic
- You damaged the board while trying to read the bios
- You’re still refering to the 2 MB chip as EC firmware even though I explained to you that the bios firmware is distributed on 2 chips and that the 2 MB chip is containing not EC firmware but the last 2 MB of the bios firmware.
- It’s still not clear if this really is a firmware fault

I’m sorry, but I won’t continue here. If you can’t come any further on your own by asking specific questions or presenting interim results, you might want to put a request in the ‘BIOS Modding Requests’ subforum, maybe. Good luck!