[Problem] Modding UEFI BIOS of an Intel X79/C602 Chipset MB

Why do you think that mainboard will not start without microcode update? Microcode update is completely optional thing, as I understand it… Wrong BIOS image kills computer. If UBU prepares correct BIOS image then flashing it will not kill anything.

Edit: I searched the Inet and found that only one case could be for microcode update to be mandatory - when user plugs newer stepping of CPU which is not fully compatible with motherboard (not supported yet).

Edit: Anyway, have you stated your concerns in UBU thread(s)? There you will receive attention of BIOS gurus sooner.

The latest BIOS modules or drivers are not automatically the best, especially not for older systems.

as a good example you can quote your topic about chipsets and roms for AHCI… but microcodes are not the same piece of software : they are specifics to a cpu serials
the r4be bios has
cpu000306E4_platED_ver00000428_date29-05-2014.bin
mine has
cpu000306E4_platED_ver00000416_date09-07-2013.bin

if i look at that page searching cpuid 306E4 :
http://www.cpu-world.com/cgi-bin/CPUID.p…ilter&STEPPING=

this is the list for all cpus concerned by the microcode … i tested my cpu with the vmware driver and in the firmware 416 it already has the infos for my model… but others models not…

Why do you think that mainboard will not start without microcode update? Microcode update is completely optional thing, as I understand it… Wrong BIOS image kills computer. If UBU prepares correct BIOS image then flashing it will not kill anything.

Edit: I searched the Inet and found that only one case could be for microcode update to be mandatory - when user plugs newer stepping of CPU which is not fully compatible with motherboard (not supported yet).

Edit: Anyway, have you stated your concerns in UBU thread(s)? There you will receive attention of BIOS gurus sooner.

if i use ubu microcode update : it delete all microcode of my bios and only add few for xeons , i used ubu on others bios like the mainboard i will get that has a dual cpu : this bios like the r4be , has all microcodes up2date… ubu delete the same as for my x79 : both have same socket …
i reported bug in 2016 in page 161 and 162…in the 187 pages topic … 25 page in a year : that is not so much…
help modding uefi bios with C602 Chipset lga2011
and when i re-used UBU these days , i was hoping this killer-bug was removed by bios-gurus… or the option to update microcodes because it kills mainboards that have no usb flashback or dual-bios and also because newbies have few chances to find my post in the page 162… that is why i prefered to ask for help in a separate topic…and now i have a very cool pc…with good ROMS Inside

here is the monster…waiting hard-drive…

here are few image of the pc : i play latest D00M and watch Avatar bluray [ with a GTX 570 by VLC] http://postimg.org/gallery/1pfe9z788/
i can not imagine that in VR 8"] lol

the me firmware that i flashed last year is still in the mainboard x79 despite i reflashed the bios…
i had this message :
Error 8772: Invalid usage, -allowsv switch required to update the same version firmware

i use the updater to check file and bios : same answer
Intel (R) Firmware Update Utility Version: 8.1.40.1456
Copyright (C) 2007 - 2013, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

FW Version: 8.1.65.1586

the meinfo output :

Intel(R) MEInfo Version: 8.1.56.1541
Copyright(C) 2005 - 2014, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Intel(R) ME code versions:

BIOS Version: 4701
MEBx Version: Not available
Gbe Version: 1.3
VendorID: 8086
PCH Version: 6
FW Version: 8.1.65.1586

FW Capabilities: 0x00110440

Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service - PRESENT/ENABLED
Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader - PRESENT/ENABLED

Cryptography Support: Disabled
Last ME reset reason: Power up
Local FWUpdate: Enabled
BIOS Config Lock: Disabled
GbE Config Lock: Disabled
Host Read Access to ME: Enabled
Host Write Access to ME: Enabled
SPI Flash ID #1: EF4017
SPI Flash ID VSCC #1: 20052005
SPI Flash BIOS VSCC: 20052005
BIOS boot State: Post Boot
OEM Id: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Capability Licensing Service: Enabled
OEM Tag: 0x00000000
Localized Language: Unknown
Independent Firmware Recovery: Disabled

last thing for modding : a little tool that is able to list the cpuid in a bios file : intelmicrocodelist.exe
that works with rom or cap bios
it is at : http://www.delidded.com/how-to-update-cp…r-phoenix-bios/

Hi Fernando,

First of all, I wanna say thank you for your effort build up this unique forum, providing Option ROM and upgrades that cannot be found anywhere else. Great job indeed!

However, I believe Intel C602 Chipset belongs to Intel C600 Series Chipset and equivalent to Intel X79 Express Chipset, not X99 as you answered here. X99 is equivalent to C610 Series Chipset. Please refer to these documents from Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/…-datasheet.html and https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/…-datasheet.html

Another thing is C602 requires a specific RST(e) driver, the latest one is here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25393?v=t. It is not the same as your recommendation for X79 here: Which are the “best” Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?. Could you please modify your recommendation so it could be more helpful for other users?

Thank you, and I really love this unique, amazing forum!

@Tu9a2 :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your contribution.

Since you are absolutely right, I have corrected the related sentence. Thanks for your remark.

This is not true. Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA AHCI/RAID Controllers are supported by all currently available Intel RSTe drivers (from the v3, v4 and v5 platform) and some Intel RST(e) drivers (from the v12 and v13 platform). The currently latest Intel AHCI/RAID drivers, which do support Intel C600 Series Chipsets, are the RSTe drivers v5.1.0.1098 WHQL dated 04/20/2017.
If you should have tested the most interesting Intel AHCI/RAID drivers with your Intel C602 Chipset system and found out, that other Intel RSTe/RST(e) drivers are better than the ones I have recommended (according the feedback I got from X79 Chipset users), please let us know your results.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando,

Thank you for replying.

It is very interesting that I cannot find RSTe v5.1.0.1098 anywhere on Intel’s website. From the link I added above, it also clearly stated that it is the latest version. No offense, and it does not mean that I do not trust you guys. I am just curious where does that new version come from, that’s it.

Btw, I am willing to contribute to your benchmarking data. Would you mind give me the testing procedure that I can follow? I am build a bunch of Virtualization clusters from scratch, and trying to micro-tweak the performance.

Intel develops all the drivers for the on-board Intel SATA AHCI/RAID Controllers and releases them to the mainboard manufacturers, but Intel doesn’t publish all of them at their Download Center. Note: Intel is not only a chipset manufacturer, but was a mainboard manufacturer as well. So all the Intel RST/RSTe drivers, which are offered at Intel’s Download Center, are designed for Intel mainboards.
You can find download links to the latest Intel RSTe drivers within the start post of >this< thread. You can easily verify, that all these drivers are made and delivered by Intel, when you open the INF files.

Just replace manually the in-use Intel SATA driver of the “Intel SATA AHCI Controller” from within the Device Manager, reboot and do a benchmark test.

Hi Fernando,

I am a bit confused reading your recommendations for C600/X79 chipset:
- Regarding RAID ROM: here AHCI & RAID ROM Modules I can see only Intel RSTe RAID ROM v3.8.0.1029 is primarily designed for X79, so I assumed that’s the best RAID ROM for X79/C600
- Regarding RST/RSTe driver, here Which are the “best” Intel AHCI/RAID drivers? for X79 you recommended a completely different RAID driver Intel RST v11.2.0.1006 or Intel RST(e) v13.1.0.1058, while in here Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (newest: v15.7.1.1015 WHQL/v5.1.0.1098 WHQL) you clearly stated the best driver is v3.8.3.1016
- And lastly, here in this thread, you’ve just answered me that "Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA AHCI/RAID Controllers are supported by all currently available Intel RSTe drivers (from the v3, v4 and v5 platform) and some Intel RST(e) drivers (from the v12 and v13 platform). The currently latest Intel AHCI/RAID drivers, which do support Intel C600 Series Chipsets, are the RSTe drivers v5.1.0.1098 WHQL dated 04/20/2017."

Just to let you know that I read all your sticky threads, and they lead me to a somehow confusion :slight_smile: So, could you please, based on your benchmark results, recommend me the best RAID ROM and appropriate RST/RSTe driver for C600/X79 chipset?

Thank you,

@Tu9a2 :
To dissolve your confusion, here are some remarks:

1. Contrary to all other Intel Chipsets the C600/C600+ Series Chipsets have the option to change within the BIOS the mode of their on-board Intel SATA RAID Controllers from RSTe (default) to RST (optional) and vice versa.
    Depending on the chosen RAID mode (RSTe or RST) the on-board Intel SATA RAID Controller has the DeviceID DEV_2826 (RSTe mode) or DEV_2822 (RST mode) and needs/uses different Intel RAID drivers and ROM/EFI BIOS modules:
    • a) If the RAID mode has been set to RSTe, the related Intel RSTe RAID ROM/EFI “SataDriver” BIOS module and the in-use Intel RAID driver must belong to the RSTe v3/v4/v5 platform. The RSTe RAID ROM/EFI module will be loaded while booting and used for the creation/delition of the RAID array.
    • b) Things are totally different, when the RAID mode has been set to RST and the Intel SATA RAID Controller has the DeviceID DEV_2822. In this case the Intel RAID Controller needs an Intel RST RAID driver and an Intel RST RAID ROM/EFI module, which belongs to any platform from v11 up.
  2. According to the feedback I got until now from X79 and X99 chipset users with an Intel RAID0 array, the RST mode is the better choice (rock stable, better performant and TRIM in RAID0 support), but I don’t know, whether this evaluation is valid for all C600/C600+ Series Chipset systems and different sorts of Intel RAID arrays.

Since I never had access to a mainboard with an Intel X79 or X99 Chipset, I was not able to find out myself, which is the “best” Intel RAID driver/OROM combination for such RAID systems. So all my related recommendations have been based on reports given by X79/X99 chipset users.