[SOLVED] How to unlock MSR 0x194 for 2nd/3rd Gen CPU overclocking

actually i have two M6700, one with TPM and one without.since i have compared their motherboard before,i didnt see any chip unpresent on the non-tpm mb.so yes,i think we should be fine without add a chip or what,it seems like tpm just diabled by service menu.
may i ask you please try to unlock as much tpm related settings as possible?thanks in advance:D

What I meant is a TPM module, that’s the only way I’ve ever seen TPM utilized on a board with TPM. Not the TPM chip on the motherboard, another module you plug into a serial/USB type header, without this unencryption can’t be done with the onboard chip only, like two-fold authentication.
Here’s some examples of ones I’ve seen used for Gigabyte and Asus boards
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273529673414
https://www.ebay.com/itm/263957985985
https://www.ebay.com/itm/312151888728

OK, give me a bit and I will unsuppress all those TPM I see

*Edit @Blossomcrown - I see, there is also already a few TPM specific modules in the BIOS, so you are correct it should be good to go once re-enabled again, but I don’t know how TPM works without one of the above modules (Maybe just a type I’ve not seen before?)

I may have missed some between unsuppressing and changing “gray out if”, so if you get TPM option, but something is grayed out, I missed the grayed out let me know exact setting and I will fix it
https://www.sendspace.com/file/h458by

Im not sure about the TPM module stuff,but i’ll try to proceed with your modded BIOS files.Thanks for help:D

Look on the board, do you see a header like that labeled TPM? If yes, then you need a similar thing to use TPM on your board, I assume it’s there
You’re welcome, and please let me know how it goes, what if any options do you see now, what are missing from what you saw in the txt file I sent you.

…Do you want a package of those Dell tools?..
Yes, please.

strange,no thing changed after i applied this bin,no additional TPM things came up.
maybe we do need some EFI module as you mentioned?

i forgot to ask,have you tried Quadro P5000 with Premiercolor display?brightness adjustment function properly?
忘了问你有没有试过PC屏+P5000能否正常调节亮度了

@Blossomcrown - sorry about that, since we can’t open this BIOS in AMIBCP properly, I assumed modified setup would be plenty to enable these, but I guess not. I may have also missed something in there at a root level (Since I did via TPM search then edit only), I’ll look again.
When I sent you SCEWin package before, was that for this board? I remember, and looked back, you said no output for any version, if it was this board then never mind I’ll look at the BIOS again and see if I missed something.

Do you have programmer? If yes, dump the other TPM enabled BIOS and send me a copy to compare with, thanks. In the mean time, I’ve asked another member to help me find the cause of the AMIBCP not opening and showing setup issue, he solved it before on a Supermicro BIOS so hopefully he can figure it out here.
If he can, then we can edit these settings in NVRAM via AMIBCP, instead of setup which may be failing due to overridden by NVRAM defaults (that, or I missed something in my edit last night, could be only that I’m looking tonight again)

@pseudodeed - here’s the dell tools (ISO x2 (Maybe same/similar, not sure, and extracted from ISO to use in DOS, plus an additional DOS tool (Asset_A209) similar to some of the ones in the ISO’s)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…980771626520808

sure,i’ll dump that TPM-enabled machine’s BIOS for you,should be available in an hour or two.thanks for all your attempt no matter we success or not,i’m sure we’ll find a way eventually.
i’m curious about string fix thing since AMIBCP is pretty useful(if usable) ,looking forward to good news :wink:

edit
yes i could see Security but there is no TPM things.

Thanks! I’m betting this variable is in NVRAM, that’s likely where it gets changed when you answer that question at first startup, and AMIBCP edits these defaults, thus none of the changes I made last night would be shown until enabled there (unless I missed one at the root level)
Yes, I hope that user can help us! It was @R1ce_Puppy , he fixed it on this thread - Error: AMIBCP 5.02.0023 language name present exceeds 0x08 in lenght (3)

*Edit - TPM should be in security section and TPM Security, unsure of root location since I cannot open in AMIBCP, hard to scroll through IFR and keep track
I checked again, looks like I enabled everything, except I didn’t change root level of the security menu assuming it’s already visible to you, correct?
If you cannot see a security section, then that could be it, I left it alone at root, thinking you surely already could see that. << Did you see this edit?

yes,i could see Security.And no,i cant see TPM security at where it should be.

OK, thanks for confirmation! That’s the only part I didn’t unsuppress, root security because I assumed you’d already have it visible. This all must be locked up in NVRAM. Once I have a second I’ll look into this with the other TPM enabled BIOS you sent.
Can you see it in other boards BIOS? If yes, did you open that system up and see if a TPM module is plugged into the board? If not, please check for that, and please check on this current non-TPM system if there is TPM module slot on the board or not.

sure,the Security menu is available from the beginning,on TPM-enabled machine i could see TPM Security under Security and on Non-TPM machine i couldn’t. Unfortunately,our previous modded didn’t make TPM Security come up in Non-TPM machine,that’s the situation until now.
afaik there is most likely always a TPM chip on-board,only factory set to disable or enable via Service menu.but i can’t say i’m 100% sure about this. the only thing i could say is last time i compared these motherboards,i didn’t noticed any chip unpresent. it has been two years ago so maybe i missed something,that’s still possible.

Thanks for checking on BIOS settings shown. Easiest way maybe to do it, if we can’t get open in AMIBCP eventually, would be flash the TPM BIOS to the non-TPM system, but you’ll need to swap in service tag, serial and LAN MAC ID first.
I wanted you to check TPM Module, not chip on board, I’ve got 10+ boards here that can do TPM, but not if I don’t connect a TPM module to them like I showed you in the ebay links.
This is like a tiny daughter board, or maybe more like a min-PCIE size card that plugs into a header on the board that’s similar to a USB 3.0 or COM/Serial board header. Without that, I can’t do TPM encryption on any of my TPM enabled boards

negative dude, i didnt find any possible ports on the motherboard for connecting TPM module as you mentioned, and i can’t get info about such module for M6700 whether searching on Internet or dig into Dell’s hardware maintenance manual.

OK, maybe this is TPM before last decades TPM standards? I know TPM 1.0-2.0 need a module, but I guess it’s possible some configurations it’s not needed. I don’t know to be honest, have never used other than testing.

M6700 should have TPM 1.2.
imo those module provide addon tpm chip to desktop boards,but on M6700(and almost all of business notebooks) this chip already BGA to the motherboard.

The boards I’ve used have Infineon chips on board already too, that utilize the modules. Maybe with the addition of that it’s able to create a much stronger encryption or something?
Who know, not a big deal or anything we need to worry about now since you checked the board and there is no header.

I see memory frequency selection, do you see that in your BIOS? Other than that, nothing really for CPU voltages.
I’m sure it’s there and could possibly be changed or enabled, but I can’t open this BIOS in AMIBCP, for now I can only edit what I currently see in the stock setupprep file (attached, all that can be changed)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6s6b2v

If you need any of that adjusted, make a list of exact setting, and what you want default changed to of the choices shown directly below each setting (Default is shown for each thing, in parentheses)

OK,we could just wait for AMIBCP become available. thanks for help :smiley: