Specter and Meltdown for ASRock Z77 Extreme 4

@sneaker don’t worry. That is the best, but on some cases, on flash process, it could freeze. If you flash without any problem, there is no need to worry or upgrade to this new one.

How is that the best one jcorrea? could you please explain.

Thanks for the updated BIOS btw!, really appreciate it.

@slackeritguy because uefi modules. The first uefi have SATA/RAID/VBios updated. This new one not. I tried it on mine z77 Professional and also on a z68 Professional (yeah, I’m crazy, using the UEFI on diferent mb), flashing the original uefi, from AsRock with a flash programmer and then trying to update to a modified one by “instant flash”. When I tried to flash (using instant flash) a uefi with those drivers updated, it froze on “preparing crashless feature”. As this new one never froze, I prefer to keep it. But if you have a flash programmer and know how to use it, if the flash fails of course, you should use the “old” one, because it have updated drivers.
I’m investigating why its freezing on that.

@jcorrea just to be clear, I am clear to install the UEFI located at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vC0PmY…mky2bk98_MchbTD on a z77 Extreme 4? Will that will patch the Spectre/Metldown vulnerabiliies? Will it also update other components over the “stock” 2.90 firmware from ASRock?

Thank you for doing this!

@ganon yes, it will patch. And, yes it will update Lan drivers. I’m also investigating why some people had problem on flash an earlier version, with SATA/RAID/VBios drivers updated. This latest version works on all my tests.

@jcorrea sorry if this is a noob question, but the file you link to on Google Drive is a .7z that extracts to a .90P file. How am I supposed to flash either of these? I checked the 3 guides on ASRock’s BIOS page but all of them seem to suggest you’d have a .exe file. Again, thanks for all your help.

@ganon get a pendrive, format it to fat32, put the extracted file in there. Enter in uefi with the pendrive plugged on, go to advanced tab, look for “Instant Flash”. It will find the file. You only have to hit “Enter” and wait while the uefi is flashed. Don’t turn off the pc while its flashing the uefi, to avoid a bricked uefi.

@jcorrea how long should this entire process take? I put the extracted file onto a FAT32 USB drive, booted into UEFI, and selected Instant Flash. A lot of things flashed on the screen because it looked like it was automatically browsing to and selecting the file from the flash drive, then the screen just went totally black. Computer has been that way for about 10 minutes now, and I’m just leaving it alone. Is that normal? How long should it take for the UEFI to flash? Really hoping I didn’t just brick my mobo because I failed to follow incredibly basic instructions, lmao.

EDIT: 30+ minutes now, still black screen. Not looking good. Is this what happened to @mandrakerj ? He seems to have at one point seen some kind of progress bar. I never even had that. Just immediate black screen…

EDIT 2: Powered down my computer and everything was fine. Booted back into UEFI, went to Instant Flash, and this time I was able to manually select the file. I got a progress bar and programming success, then the computer rebooted. It seems like everything installed properly. I have NO idea why I got the black screen the first time, since I didn’t do anything any differently… Maybe I pressed the Enter button for a moment too long and that caused it to crash? Lol. UEFI now reports version P2.90P. Thanks for the help!

@ganon its maybe a fault on your old uefi, As you described you didn’t start the flashing process and instant flash don’t even allow you to select the file. Btw, I’ll try to simulate that. Do you remember witch uefi version you was using before update?

@jcorrea just to confirm, version P2.90P is the updated UEFI? I only ask because CPU-Z reports the date as 12/17/2015 (but I guess that’s just because this is a modded UEFI based on a version that was released in 2015).

@ganon Yes, it is the updated uefi. I don’t have enough time to change the uefi properties yet. But when I discover what happened to mandrake, I’ll adjust that and, maybe, update the RAID/SATA/VBios drivers.

Hello all.

I registered here because I have an ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional board with an i5 3570k. There has been no new BIOS released to fix the spectre exploit.

Posting here in the hopes that someone can update the latest P1.70 BIOS with the new microcode to fix spectre on the 3570k.

I would be most grateful if anyone can help. The ASRock BIOS can be found here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%…t=Download#BIOS

Just so you all know, ASrock officially released BIOS 3.0 Beta today: https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z77%20Ex…/index.asp#BIOS and it has the updated microcode. So if jcorrea’s MOD BIOS scares you, this one is plain vanilla. =)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up mate.

Is there anyway to know if this has all the latest SATA/RAID/VBios modules?

No idea.

@jcorrea : Thank you for your efforts :slight_smile:

Have you had any luck with finding the reason for updated drivers to cause the problems? Do the updated drivers add any real value?

If I understand correctly, this is the safest version to use: Specter and Meltdown for ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 (2) ?

I’ve read a lot about how the Meltdown and Spectre fixes cause a lot of performance loss on older systems. Do you know if this is caused by the new microcodes themselves or by the OS part of the fix?

Best regards,
Crocodil

EDIT: I can see that downloads ad MDCLAB are again available. Maybe this will help you with debugging? Also - has anyone tested the BIOS for Extreme4? I would like to try it but I’m affraid to brake my motherboard…

@Crocodil
Sorry about new upgrades on UEFI. I did not discover what’s wrong on that.
About upgrading to UEFI on mdclab, if you are unsure or even, if you are afraid to use that, first of all you have to find a way to recover your MB from a possible brick. A good, cheap and safe way is get a ch341a programmer, get a W25Q64BVAIG memory, flash it with a ROM, and replace your original one. If it don’t work, you only have to put your original back and try again.
I spent 3 or 4 bucks on a flash programmer, and 2 on a W25Q64BVAIG.

@jcorrea Thank you very much for the explanation. I’ve never programmed a flash memory, but I’ve already ordered the needed parts and I will give it a try :slight_smile:

Am I correct that this is also the safest way to try your modded BIOS, the one that has caused problems?

Regards,
Crocodil

EDIT:
@jcorrea Are you sure that the BIOS chip is 25Q64BVAIG? I know very little to nothing about the stuff but I was able to read the chip on the motherboard and it reads: 25Q64FVAIQ 1236 (FVAIQ instead of BVAIG)

@Crocodil
Get the mdclab UEFI, cause it has the newest drivers and modules.

About the chip, don’t worry, they are compatible, both BVAIG or FVAIG will work.

@jcorrea Thank you very much for the confirmation - I’ve already ordered the CH341A programmer and a bunch of BVAIG chips :slight_smile:

From what I was able to find FVAIQ and FVAIG/BVAIG are not directly compatible because the ‘Q’ stands for ‘Quad Enabled’ and means that there’s some changes in communication (some additional pins are used while in ‘G’ version they are not). Fortunately it looks like ASRock has implemented a fallback for the ‘non-quad’ bios chips to work as well :slight_smile:

I was able to contact mdclab and it turns out that the latest UEFI is based on BIOS 3.00 so it does have the latest drivers and modules, but it doesn’t have the bootable NVME feature :frowning:

Either way, I think that after some playing around I will go back to original 2.90P. It looks like the microcode updates together with Meltdown and Spectre fixes cause a substantial performance hit especially for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Systems.