Surface Pro 5 Touch capability Down after (official) firmware update

Hi there, I’m new to the forum and I have some trouble with a Surface Pro 5. The device lost touch capability after an official microsoft firmware update. I had some “bubbles” flashing on the side of the screen, preventing the use of touch capability. With the touch functionality disabled, the surface works normally.

I think it might be related to the firmware update since everything seems in perfect condition and it was working fine the instant before. I understand that, unfortunately, that is a common problem with the surfaces pro (whatever their generation)…

I’m no expert at this kind of repair (I understand it’s not simple) but not a total newbie either (I was PHP developer before and sometimes manipulate electronics). My question is :

Could someone point me to a guide to repair the “firmware update” (or try to) or some kind of detailed steps so I can figure out where to start ?

Thanks

As written before:

You need a dump of your firmware (CH341 programmer) in any case.

Regarding the touch: There was a possible fix posted at badcaps:
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubleshooting-hardware-devices-and-electronics-theory/troubleshooting-laptops-tablets-and-mobile-devices/bios-requests-only/92053-ms-surface-no-touchscreen-after-cleaning-me-firmware-fix

But if I remember correctly this didn’t work for all machines.

Attach the dump or post a link to it when you have come so far.

1 Like

Thanks ! So for the dump, the first steps would be :

1. Get a CH341a toolkit (to connect to the chip on the Surface Pro)
  2. Get the software CH341 programmer or ASProgrammer
  3. Open the Surface
  4. Locate the firmware chip and connect with the toolkit
  5. Get the dump

Am I correct ?

Correct. Don’t forget about neoprogrammer. Read datasheet for the SPI chip, size shold fit, check voltage- there might be an 1.8v chip

Otherwise a dump can often be done by fpt from Intel ME tools - version corresponding to ME firmware version - if the system is still booting and you’re able to connect a bt or usb mouse and keyboard.

fptw64 -d spi.bin will dump the complete firmware, but there might be errors since ME region might be protected.

ME tools here, 1st post a little down:

Do you have a link to the update you installed?

Sooo…I’m trying to wrap my head around all that…I didn’t open the Surface Pro yet, and I still have to figure out how to do that cleanly.

Blockquote Read datasheet for the SPI chip

I searched but can’t find that…is there a know resource somewhere on the web ? I found only ones with 30$ datasheets about the Surface Pro 5.

Blockquote Otherwise a dump can often be done by fpt from Intel ME tools - version corresponding to ME firmware version - if the system is still booting and you’re able to connect a bt or usb mouse and keyboard.
fptw64 -d spi.bin will dump the complete firmware, but there might be errors since ME region might be protected.

I tried that seemingly without success. I got the firmware version from UEFI.
I used CSME System Tools v11r46 and fptw64 to get a dump, and got an spi.bin file.
But reading it with MEAnalyzer v1.137 gives me a bunch of errors.

I also ran MEInfo to see what I could get.

As for the faulty update on the Surface, I checked and it could be that one, but I’m not 100% sure though :
Microsoft rolled out new firmware updates (October 27, 2023) for Surface Pro 5 - SurfaceTip

I will join all my results to the post…
And yes, except from touch capability, the Surface works perfectly.

spi.rar (3.9 MB)

2024-01-20 20_20_29-C__Users_norma_Desktop_SurfacePro_Résultats_FPT Dump cmd info.txt - Notepad++

Good structured work :+1: !

A slightly less outdated version of MEA just makes it’s job:

(with -unp86 and -dfpt, too)

Chip datasheet: Search for a 16 MByte / 128 Mbit SPI chip, read the inscription on top of the chip and find the datasheet for this chip.

The dump looks otherwise fine, fptw64 is the safest mode to dump if nothing is protected.

Unfortunately at a first glance ISH is supported and populated in the ME (MEA with -dfpt) so the badcaps solution won’t work here.

I’ll have a look into this but I’m not too optimistic. The touch screen does in addition have it’s own firmware. These updates are quite huge and you have to do an ‘admin’- installation to get them unpacked.

EDIT:
Does the touch work in EFI environment for example when accessing bios setup?

FPT wrote already the chip type in its output: W25Q128FV

Thank you !

No it doesn’t…

As for the W25Q128FV chip, I found that document:

W25Q128FV.rar (1.2 MB)

My dear friend… this is a Winbond chip, Winbond is a company… we search for the company…found it WINBOND
Theres a search box on the website… we search the part W25Q128FV…
Search - Winbond
There you go… the official Datasheet.
Pin assignment and operation voltage range, done.

1 Like

OK, thanks.

• Please check the directory c:\windows\firmware\ for a directory {E41E2C44-4F4B-4167-AD87-CB183D229D7B} and list its content. If there aren’t any directories with GUID- names please list the content of the firmware directory (screenshot?)

• Please attach a picture of the device manager with expanded Firmware and HID section.
    If both sections don’t show any touch devices please check other sections for touch devices.

Ok, so another Windows Update just passed (couldn’t stop it), the firmware changes are only on the system UEFI (I analyzed a second dump of spi.bin but nothing changed).

Joined to my reply are the captures you asked

Several places it’s said that touch not working in UEFI environment means that it’s the touch device itself since the UEFI environment uses different drivers/ firmware. Anyway the touch shows up in device manager without errors.

I’d try once to uninstall the Surface Touch Firmware, but not check to uninstall the driver. Search for new hardware, see if it changes anything.

This is your firmware with a re- initialized ME- region, needs to be flashed with a programmer.
outimage.zip (6.7 MB)

FPT is normally correct with it’s output regarding chip type, but I recommend to double check.

If you have opened your Surface anyway, double check and re-seat all connectors to the screen!

I tried that without success…

Blockquote If you have opened your Surface anyway, double check and re-seat all connectors to the screen!

Just to be sure, this is the hard part correct ? Where I open the Surface (without destroying everything), locate the chip and try to inject the firmware you just gave me using a ch341a programmer…
And it seems that using the ch341a pliers could work but the common advice seems to be to unsolder the chip from the Surface then solder it back…

No easy task for me but I’m ready to try (once I get all the right tools).

Am I correct with all that ?

Microsoft Surface Pro 5 Teardown - iFixit

All you need plus a steady hand, patiente and no rush…

1 Like

That’s correctly understood. You have now a working device without touch. There’s a slim chance that the touch can be fixed, and there’s a chance that your surfbook won’t work at all afterwards.

Regarding the CH341- you have a good dump of your firmware, but for the programmer it’s still two a 100% identical dumps to be sure that you can read the chip properly (contact of the clamp, software, mainboard…) If you can’t read properly you most probably won’t be able to write either.

Good luck!

1 Like

Ok thanks again for all the help, I’ll be back with news about the Surface, good or bad…but it may take some time since I have to gather all the tools and make time to do that without pressure