t480s restore AMT settings in BIOS

Which other vpro network device is available?

At the moment my X1 Yoga 2nd Gen notebook has an Intel AX210 wlan adapter in it (vpro version, model AX210.NGWG). I understand that CSME 11.8 is much older than the AX210 and will probably not recognize it but that’s OK as I only need the wired LAN CSME to be active. Normally all I do in MEBx is to open the wired IPV4 network port to AMT. The point is that even if I put back the original AC8265 adapter, which came with the laptop and worked with CSME in corporate mode, it still presents as Small Business Technology. Something must have gotten configured in the ME data flash memory region. Without WLAN adapter: same thing.

I read that you need an extension cable to use the wired port, is this connected?

AMT2.jpg

Otherwise I assume you should set the machine back to stock and then find a way to remove the WLAN card. If WLAN is enabled in AMT removal of the card mightstop AMT and I’m not sure if disabling it in the AMT settings might make it removable. (pic is ME 12, but I assume there’s not much difference to ME 11)

AMT Net Mam.jpg

Would it help for you to see my extracted ME flash memory region? Here it is. I am particularly curious about what it is, given the same 5MB CSME 11.8 firmware, that enables full AMT vs. Small Business Technology (SBT; I assume that is the same as standard manageability). Is it some variable in the ME data region? Not NVRAM clearly, as disconnecting the CMOS battery does not appear to affect CSME (password stays for example).

To answer your Question: this laptop has a small Ethernet port, and I have an adapter to normal RJ45. I tried ctrl-p with the original wlan card back in, and without, and it remains stuck in Small Business Technology instead of Full corporate AMT. I think only an ME region cleaning will help at this point. Does that also allow downgrading ME firmware? Only starting at CSME 12 there are fuses to detect older firmware in the spi chip.

I ran FPT -I and got:
Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version: 11.8.86.3909
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2020, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Reading HSFSTS register… Flash Descriptor: Valid

— Flash Devices Found —
MX25L12875F ID:0xC22018 Size: 16384KB (131072Kb)

— Flash Image Information –
Signature: VALID
Number of Flash Components: 1
Component 1 - 16384KB (131072Kb)
Regions:
DESC - Base: 0x00000000, Limit: 0x00000FFF
BIOS - Base: 0x00700000, Limit: 0x00FFFFFF
CSME - Base: 0x00003000, Limit: 0x006FFFFF
GbE - Base: 0x00001000, Limit: 0x00002FFF
PDR - Not present
EC - Not present
Master Region Access:
CPU/BIOS - ID: 0x00, Read: 0x00F, Write: 0x00A
ME - ID: 0x00, Read: 0x00D, Write: 0x004
GbE - ID: 0x00, Read: 0x009, Write: 0x008
EC - ID: 0x00, Read: 0x101, Write: 0x100

Total Accessible SPI Memory: 16384KB, Total Installed SPI Memory: 16384KB

what do these Master Region Access numbers mean? ME Write is 0x004, does it mean I can reflash just the ME region using Intel FPT? I am still thinking of following the ME cleaning guide to see if that will get me back to full AMT vs. SBT. Thanks in advance.

Standard Manageability isn’t the same as Small Business, it’s vpro without KVM.

The values for Read/Write mean that you either have to find kinda service jumper to be able to flash ME region or or you have to unlock the Flash descriptor, or you’ll have to use a programmer.

CMOS clear is just a small dataset like clock, date. NVRAM doesn’t get reset/ deleted when removing CMOS battery! In addition only a part of NVRAM is ‘reset’ when loading standard defaults! And NVRAM isn’t rewritten/ overwritten when udateing bios region. (Otherwise there wouldn’t be undervolters needing to re- flash the bios with a programmer since this is the only way to ‘reset’ too low voltages that keep the machine from booting)

Does the csme password, if changed in mebx, get written to nvram or into spi flash? Or is there no such thing as a separate nvram, with spi flash memory used to store all configuration variables as well as the firmware.

Does the provisioning data, which sets up small business vs. Full AMT, live in nvram or in spi flash ME data region?

Would following the win-raid ME cleaning guide work for me? Does pinmod work on Lenovo skylake notebooks to allow flashing the me region? I have a flash memory programmer, but never had much luck programming spi chips while still on the board.

meinfowin gives me this hex code:
FW Capabilities 0x5930164C

Intel(R) Small Business Technology - PRESENT/ENABLED
Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service - PRESENT/ENABLED
Protect Audio Video Path - PRESENT/ENABLED
Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader - PRESENT/ENABLED
Service Advertisement & Discovery - PRESENT/ENABLED

FPTW64 has some relevant variables:
Variable: "oemskurule"
Value: 47 54 FE 4D (0x4DFE5447)
Variable: "featureshipstate"
Value: 47 54 FE 81 (0x81FE5447)

I have not been able to find out which bits correspond to which features. Thanks for any help.

@reset : Did OP ever get this fixed?

NVRAM and ME settings are both stored in SPI chip, different regions. Afaik there’s no way to edit a configuration other than FIT and rebuild- the mentioned guid.