UEFI3.0 -> no CSM on Acer Nitro 5

Thanks @Templayer - did you try all three versions of H2OUVE? I will check this and the setup IFR and let you know what to change if we got valid output on the vars.txt - * Edit, yes that is complete and valid vars.txt! I will get back to you soon

Thanks @Fernando - I’ve only seen it for few seconds maybe, very rarely, but good to know it’s not down hours at time often! Seems Templayer happened to catch that downtime you mention, and then maybe some other shorter one later and thought it was still down.

* Edit - Here is modified vars.txt @Templayer - put this in folder with the same version H2OUVE you used before to make the original dump you posted above, then program back in using command below
H2OUVE.exe -sv varsM.txt

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…806378511149227

Then dump again to compare with modified to make sure it went in (If you aren’t sure how to compare, upload the varsmodcheck and I will check it for you)
H2OUVE.exe -gv varsmodcheck.txt

I would also like to note that after outputting the vars, the computer started making INSANE and LOUD noises. Windows kept working, except for the keyboard - which wasn’t working.
I tried restarting the computer - the computer didn’t fully shutdown, with a black screen (the sounds still going on!) and the power button not working at all (holding it, of course).

Then I’ve looked briefly through the manual, found a miniature pin button, had to find a needle because that was literally the only thing that would fit the “protective hole” and did a “hard” shutdown using it.

All that just due to READING the variables.
I hope the laptop doesn’t outright explode when I’ll WRITE the modified variables! :smiley:

Can’t be related I would image, this only dumps text from registers in memory, I’ve never heard of anything like that from dumping this kind of info using many different tools over many years.
Reboot, or remove power, sounds like you reset the CMOS, best to reload optimal defaults in the BIOS now.

Applied, and the new outputs matches your modifications!

I have managed to successfully boot to a ten year old Hiren’s Boot CD through USB bluray drive! (and the keyboard works there. Why is this important? Read further…)

Thank you so much!

Now let’s see what else blows in my face.

Also the second output had the exact same effect as the first one - weird LOUD noises and non-functional keyboard.
Also, I am now incapable of going into Bios, since it asks me for the supervisor password and the keyboard doesn’t work for that prompt. It might be that the keyboard is UEFI booted or something? :smiley:

And for anyone else reading this - the newest version of the H20UVE thing didn’t work for me at first, that one has only three files (and one of them is an example batch file), so what I did is that I have looked into an older version that had many more files, and moved those files to the newer one without rewriting them. Then the newest version started working. Had to use the preinstalled OEM Win10 (UAC turned off, LUA turned off in the registry, uninstalled the crappy Norton antivirus that came with it, disabled Microsoft Defender because it is garbage…) and cmd (as an administrator, of course) with it.

And of course it did.

The keyboard at the supervisor prompt actually works, for a few seconds. Then bios freezes. Always. I have made it into it and I cannot see new options.

Win7 installation fails due to me "not having" ACPI compliant bios. :frowning:

Funnily enough, I got into Windows XP. xD

The mini-Windows XP on Hiren’s boot CD originally game me the same BSOD, but with the added note that mashing F7 during “installation” will get around the ACPI error. So I mashed F7 during booting and it did get into WinXP!

For Win7 it unfortunately doesn’t work that way.
The installation flash drive I have has NVRAM (or whatever drivers for the m2 or whatever that is called SSD slots are) / SSD / updates etc. slipstreamed into it. It’s 64bit Ultimate, with all the good patches.

From what I have read on the internet, people are setting ACPI settings in the BIOS to “Windows 7 compatible”. Of course I cannot do that. Help? :frowning:

That is funny about the sound, maybe some audio driver conflict with the loading or unloading of the driver/services used by H2OUVE? It’s a new one to me
Newest version is not always best, and I asked you to download and run them all. Do not move files around in program packages, this may be why you’re having the audio issue, or may also be why this has failed. Why did you think that was a good idea, without even asking anyone for input?

Our goal here is not mainly to allow you to see any new options, that’s only a possible bonus, we are changing two default setting values, that you can’t see as options in your BIOS (and wont after the change either)

You’ll have to ask this user in one of his threads or via PM for advice on your ACPI stuff.
u10321_XPLives.html

So, after all that, I am lost. Did the settings get applied now and you can now install Win7 once you figure out the rest? Can you enter BIOS now? If not, we can revert back to original vars.txt, use same write command but use first backup of vars.txt as your write source.,
Then I can make you new vars, with only the one setting changed >> Boot Mode to Legacy. And then leave the Secure Boot Mode to it’s default, sicne I think you can change that one in BIOS. And put the user access level back to it’s default.

Here is that new vars.txt with only the single change instead (Boot mode to legacy).
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…180627969346606

Before using this, re-write your first vars.txt and reboot, then put this one in. I highly suggest you redownload the H2OUVE packages and do not move files from one to another (this one is newest there 100.00.16.08)
If that’s the one that didn’t work for you, simple, don’t use it. Use another version, but don’t mix and match stuff, find one that works as it is and use that, but only write using the one that gives you valid backup output too, I mean don’t just write, dump first and look at it, see if it looks good, then if yes you can use that one to write back.
https://github.com/mikebdp2/Insider_BIOS_Tools

I cannot change anything in BIOS because BIOS locks up pretty much upon entry.

I cannot revert back since I don’t have much to boot into, unless H2OUVE runs under XP. :slight_smile:

I’m going to check Linux distributions … it might be the time for a change.

then redo the vars as I mentioned, then try the one I just added with the single change to legacy only. Yes, H2OUVE will run on XP, you can even use Live XP probably

I bet the issue is trying to change that to Full access the cheating way with H2OUVE instead of an actual BIOS Mod.

Did you modifications to the var include fast boot? Because it is on by default and in contrast to secure boot, I cannot set fast boot in the Bios.

No, I only changed Menu Access Level, Secure Boot, and Boot Mode. The last one I just uploaded has the Boot Mode Legacy only, I removed the menu and fast boot setting I initially changed
I’m betting the access level change, or secure boot mode change (when you can see/set it already), or combo of both is messing with the BIOS. That or your jumped up H20UVE files messed up the write? Hard to know for sure, redownload those and reapply stock vars, then redo with the single mod one above and try again.

I checked H20UVE in XP, and none work

Well, my only chance is @XPLives now, since I need at least Win7. Which is the goal.
Write went well, I checked by outputting back.

Could you make a version with disabling Secure Boot, disabling FAST BOOT and setting boot mode to Legacy Bios in the meantime? I cannot make head or tail from the file. (didn’t have the time to check it in detail)
Just without the access level change. Since that is most likely the culprit and I do not want to incur the RNG god’s wrath with the laptop exploding (those were really scary noises. I didn’t even know laptops could be that loud until that happened! (described a few posts back for anyone wondering)) by doing it more times than I have to. :frowning:

Worst case scenario now (well, second worst, with the first being the laptop giving up the ghost)… We will finally have to upgrade from Windows 7. I heard Zorin Os is a decent Linux distro. :smiley:

@XPLives Hi! We were successful in enabling Legacy bios on an Acer Nitro 5 through changing variables in the bios as offsets! The problem now is that when trying to run Windows 7 installation, an ACPI BSOD happens. I have no idea how to solve that problem, since there are literally THOUSANDS of such posts when searching with google (and most of them don’t have an answer! Except for “update your bios” and such, which is clearly not the problem here). Windows XP Mini also gets an ACPI BSOD, but mashing F7 during it booting makes it boot. So now I have a laptop with Ryzen, that is booted into Windows XP Mini and it works pretty much flawlessly (except for the absence of the drives, since those are on the NVRAM or whatever that is called…), but I cannot get Windows 7 working.

How can I fix the ACPI BSOD on my Windows 7 64x Ultimate which has NVRAM (or whatever that is called! The successor to SATA or whatever… I always forgot the proper spelling of that) and USB3 already slipstreamed into it. :frowning:
Do I have to change some bios variable? Add a driver to the installation? ;-(
The rest of the information is in this thread.
Thanks for reading, if you do read it. :frowning:

Also getting a multi-boot with WinXP on it would be awesome, but I presume the absence of drivers will make that impossible.

@Templayer - The noises may be normal, or may be due to how you mixed and matched files etc. Please re-download all those tools as I mentioned and send me a new dump from whatever unmodified package works for you.

In meantime, to solve the current issue, of wanting to rewrite vars again with different changes, and you needing to redownload the H20UVE packages so they can be left as is, maybe install Win10 again for a little while until we can get all that done.

Major BIOS edit, or certain ACPI files would be needed to get around that Win7 ACPI issue, and XPLives is only one I know that plays with all that openly and often, maybe @CodeRush or @Mov_AX_0xDEAD

Hmm… LOSTNBIOS is probably the best guy for this job. As for Windows 7 I don’t know how to disable ACPI during install so if someone else knows how to do this let them speak on it. That would be the only way I would go about installing Windows 7 on a laptop. Now if you got a desktop Ivy Bridge you could try installing Windows 7 on it first and not activate. Then migrate it to the laptop and see if it boots up or has ACPI error. If the ACPI error persists then I think either a BIOS MOD for ACPI v1.0 support is the only way to make it work on that laptop. Other possibility is a custom ACPI.sys for Windows 7 for your laptop which I have no clue on how to do this.

But I’m surprised you installed XP Mini on your Ryzen laptop. What SATA AHCI driver did you use? What SATA controllers are on it? AMD, Asmedia?

What is this NVRAM you have installed?

hello, i have no experience in modding bios-es but i have the same laptop and want to know if we can do anything about the 1.5ghz lock when on battery. (if u dont have the laptop, basically the laptop is locked at 1.56ghz speed whenever its not charging with no way to change it)

The XP mini wasn’t installed, just booted from an USB. Doesn’t detect the harddrives. But I was surprised that it was working otherwise.