Weird boot problem with ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution running RAID

Hi guys,

First off I wanna say thank you for having this site, it has taught me a lot about the how BIOS works especially regarding to flashing a BIOS.

My problem is I have a old computer that I’m very happy with, but recently I’ve been running very low on disk space. luckily I had an old NAS box with 4 disks that I didn’t use, so I decided to use those disks in my computer in a RAID.
So my new disk layout was now, 1 x OCZ Vertex2 90GB as primary drive, 4 x WD something something 1TB running RAID 10 - All running on the Intel ICH9r controller.
It all went well until I shutdown my computer for the first time, or should I say, till I booted it up again.
For some reason the computer didn’t see the OCZ Vertex2, first I thought that it died in the process, but just to make sure, I changed it to Marvell controller, that detected it straight away.
To make a long story short (trust me it’s a LONG story):
Fiddling a little around with everything I noticed that when I’m the Intel ICH9r controller is running a raid it will not detect any other disks then the ones that are a part of the raid, unless i soft reset the computer (ctrl+alt+del) once or twice, then all of a sudden the other disks appears??
I thought that it was perhaps an error that was corrected in a newer BIOS update, but turns out, I was already running the newest version :frowning:
Therefore I went here to try one of your modules, but so far I have not fund one that does not give me BSOD when booting to Windows :frowning:
I’ve tried the following:
Original Intel RST driver Version 12.9.0.1001, Original OROM Version 7.5.0.1017 = lets me boot if i Soft reset a few times.
Original Intel RST driver Version 12.9.0.1001, Your OROM Version 12.9.0.2006 = BSOD when booting, says something about a bad driver.
Your Intel RST driver Version 11.2.0.1006, Original OROM Version 7.5.0.1017 = lets me boot if i Soft reset a few times.
Your Intel RST driver Version 11.2.0.1006, Your OROM Version 12.9.0.2006 = BSOD when booting, says something about a bad driver.
Your Intel RST driver Version 11.2.0.1006, Your OROM Version 11.2.0.1527 = BSOD when booting, says something about a bad driver.

At the moment, I’m running Your Intel RST driver Version 11.2.0.1006, Original OROM Version 7.5.0.1017 but I was thinking of trying the OROM Version 8.0.0.1039 that CPL0 gave Martin_Q in another thread and then install the newest version of the drivers, it sounded like Martin_Q had some luck running those together.
So I was hoping that you guys might have heard of my problem, and perhaps knows how to fix it. If not, then perhaps you have a good suggestion to what I can test or change in order to fix my boot problems.

Once again, thank you for this nice forum, drivers and BIOS mods + guides, I had a lot of nerdy fun with it so far :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
Martin

Quick update:
I just tried the version that CPL0 gave Martin_Q (version 8.0.0.1039) and it looks like it worked.
So my system is now running Your Intel RST driver Version 11.2.0.1006, CPL0 OROM Version 8.0.0.1039 = It boots fine, but the Storage manager comes with an error, it says that the RAID is incompatible, so I guess I just have to rebuild the raid :smiley:
I will test this out and see how it works, but do you guys think I need to change the drivers?

Anyways, Thanks to Fernando for the guides, thanks to Martin_Q for testing on his system before me, and thanks to CPL0 for the OROM

Kind Regards,
Martin

@ FaBNEk:
Hello Martin,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report.

Now to your problem:
As you already have realized as well, it seems possible, that the jump from the very old Intel MSM RAID ROM v7.5.0.1017 to any Intel RST/RST(e) RAID ROM v11 or v12 may have been too big.
So I agree with you, that it will be worth a try to insert any Intel MSM RAID ROM of the v8.x.x.xxxx series as next step. If you should be satisfied with the result, you may give the Intel RST RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008 a chance.
Anyway I do not recommend to use any Intel RST(e) driver with a higher version than v11.2.0.1006.

Good luck!
Fernando

Hi Fernando,

Thank you, I’ve just finished setting up the RAID and I’ve copied about 130 GB to the drives, so far it worked perfectly.
I’ll just have wait and see if the Boot problem is fix, but so far it has booted twice without the problem.
Would it make any difference if I update to v10.1.0.1008, keeping my current setup in mind?

Anyways thanks for the quick reply.
Martin

Since the Intel RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008 belongs to the Rapid Storage Technology branch, it will match better the Intel RST drivers v10 and v11 (latest: v11.2.0.1006).