Which are the "best" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

@GnarZ77 :
Thanks for your report, which confirms my own experiences regarding the Intel RST AHCI driver v13.1.0.1058.
Nevertheless you should consider, that this driver is the latest, which natively support Intel 7-Series chipset systems running in AHCI mode.

i’m wondering if the Sata Ahci hardware would be really much different (if any at all) between (6/) 7 and 8 / 9 series. Intel states on it’s site that even up to 14 there should be support for 7 series in the txt and html documents with each driver.
Yet the drivers themself do not have the 7 series in their .inf files. This is most confusing from intel themself and the reason why is propably more economics than technical.

I’m guessing the later because the 13.2 rst are also stated on the site to support 7 series yet the driver .inf has no support for 7, though it installs (i chose the 8 series driver manually) with a minor warning from windows it “might” not be compatible.
But it works without a hitch in practice.

If any info can be shared i would be thankfull before going on to try up to 14.8 with accompanying firmware ofcourse.
Which one i will end up with will be decided by the combination of Sata Protocols that all my sata devices support and are supported by the firmware
(newer devices might not have old protoccols and older firmware no protocols for newer devices),
prefferably the latest possible considering bugfixes aswel.

Kind greetings

@GnarZ77 :
You can manually install all Intel RST drivers, if you force the installation by using the “Have Disk” option, but the question is, whether you will get any benefit by using the newest drivers for an old device.
According to my own tests with Intel Z68 and Z77 chipsets it doesnt make any sense to install any Intel RST driver of the v14 platform or above.

Ok , thank you for the response. It very well could be there are no benefits at all in going higher indeed. As it all works now, it might be unwise to make further changes.
(Bonus is that now some windows functions work that did not before, like fast startup.)

Kind greetings.

My old pc (Asus P5Q + Core 2 Duo e8400 + 4Gb ram) with a Corsair ssd loadind so fast, in a few seconds. I check what drivers i have install and is the Intel RST(e) v11.7.4.1001 (ICH10R , sata2 port). So i agree about this drivers with Fernando.

My new pc not loading so fast…

Hello would it make sense for a GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 REV 1.0 (Z68X Intel-6) mainboard to use the Intel RST(e) v11.7.4.1001 like for the X58 chipset?

The recommendation to use RST(e) v13.2.8.1002 conflicts with the description of the driver (for Intel-8 chipsets and higher…)?

I use SSD and HDD in AHCI mode only.

I’m a bit overwhelmed by the large selection. modded drivers… manual installation… currently i use the Intel RST v11.2.0.1006 RST software setup because it is the easiest :slight_smile:

@bobs :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

If you are unsure regarding the “best” Intel AHCI driver, why don’t you test it yourself?
By the way - I generally do not recommend to install the complete Drivers & Software Set for Intel AHCI users.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi! I do apologize if I ask one stupid question.

I have a Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard (Z97 chipset) It was a surprise for me That I could install Windows XP, but I had to change IDE setttings in BIOS ( from ACHI to IDE). I would like to set ACHI in BIOS and I read in inet that in this forum there are drivers for that. I’ve seen the first post in this thread but I haven’t clear what drivers I should use

I would like to know what the ACHI driver is the correct for Windows XP in my system

@Whisper :

If you want to get Windows XP installed in AHCI mode, you should follow >this< guide. The best suitable driver is the “Universal 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 mod+signed by me (done at 01/03/2019)”. The download link is within the start post of the related thread.
If you should have any further question about how to get XP installed, please post it into the linked thread.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks a lot Fernando for your quickly answer. I’ll try your advices

@Fernando was there a recent post with the more recent v17.xxxx tested on your Z170? Am I just imagining it or it got deleted?
edit: maybe it was just a RAID test… nevermind

@elisw :
Since I am somehow retired since the 1st of May, the Forum users should not expect, that I will keep all threads up-to-date, which have been started by me in the past.
Now to your question:
As you can see within the start post of this thread, I haven’t updated it since 03/27/2019, whereas the currently latest Intel RST v17 platform drivers v17.2.11.1033 are dated 05/07/2019.
Nevertheless I have recently compared the performance of the Intel RST RAID driver v17.2.11.1033 with older ones, but these tests were done with an NVMe RAID0 configuration. The results have been published by me >here< and haven’t yet been deleted.

@Fernando it was not a request of update… just a clarification about something I saw in a hurry and couldn’t find anymore. They were indeed in the NVMe RAID0 section. thanks for having taken time to reply.

@Fernando I’ve heard some suggest that with Windows 10, it’s sometimes better to use Microsoft’s default driver for a device instead of even the manufacturer’s driver (which seems odd to me, but I suppose if Microsoft’s is more recent)… Would this the case with an x58 ICH10R, or is the Intel driver still best to use?

@Coldblackice :
Since I don’t have an X58 chipset system and the generic MS AHCI driver for Win10 is updated by Microsoft every 6 months, I cannot answer your question.
Why don’t you test it yourself? It is very easy to change the in-use AHCI driver manually from within the Device Manager.

Hi, I’m trying to sort out an issue with a Dell XPS M1530 on Windows 10 and I suspect the issue is the SATA controller driver. The system’s disk performance will initially perform decent enough but at some point it will dramatically degrade to the point of the system being unusable. The system doesn’t lock up but any action involving disk IO will hang–the system is otherwise responsive (can switch between windows and such, move mouse around, etc etc). File transfers will fall to kB/s. I realized that Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller was being utilized despite having installed the official chipset drivers from the dell website (even though they don’t specifically support Windows 10). Others with the same issue recommended updating the SATA controller driver.

From what I can tell the system is using the ICH8M chipset (SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02), see https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/D…1a76dc09e98daab ). I can confirm the same output when I boot linux myself. Also, I should mention that I have not observed these disk performance issues on Linux itself.

Following this page Which are the “best” Intel AHCI/RAID drivers? , I first tried installing the official “Intel Matrix Storage Manager - Notebooks, v.xp-vista_7.5.0.1017, A00” from the Dell website. This put the PC into a reboot loop and so I restored the system (of course I created a restore point beforehand). I assume this is because these drivers are not intended for Windows 10.

Second, I tried installing the latest Intel RST drivers from the intel website. The drivers refuse to install with a “platform not supported” error despite my SATA controller being listed under supported devices https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/…chnologies.html

Next I tried installing the recommend RST drivers in the aforementioned thread. Since this dell apparently has an ICH8M chipset, I downloaded the “Intel RST(e) drivers v13.2.8.1002” drivers and installed them as recommended. Unfortunately after rebooting the system, in Device Manager the system is still using the “Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller” and while there is an entry for the installed RST drivers, that entry has an error "A device which does not exist was specified"

Perhaps getting this system to run smoothly on Windows 10 is a lost cause in 2019? Any help or pointers would be appreciated

@jcamb :
I have moved your post into this thread, because your old Intel chipset system doesn’t need the latest available, but the best matching AHCI driver.
At the bottom of the start post of this thread you will find a table, where I have listed, which driver(s) I recommend to use with which Intel Chipset/Southbridge.
To be sure about what your system needs, please post the HardwareIDs of your on-board in-use Intel SATA Controller (run the Device Manager, expand the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section, do a right-click onto the listed AHCI Controller and choose the options “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”).
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :
Thanks for getting back to me. Following your instructions, the hardware ID of the AHCI controller is VEN 8086 DEV 2829 https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/8086/2829 , which is the “82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA Controller [AHCI mode]”. From your table I downloaded “Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v11.2.0.1006 WHQL extracted by Fernando.rar”.

First I trusted the digital signature using the “cat method” detailed here: [Tips+Discussion] Usage of “mod+signed” Drivers

The included executable didn’t work (Setup.exe gives “The computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software”) so I tried manually installing as follows:
1) Open the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section of the Device Manager and select "Standard AHCI Controller"
2) Right click onto the “Standard AHCI Controller” and choose the options “Update Driver Software” > “Browse my Computer…” > “Let me pick…”.
3) Clicked the “Have Disk” button and navigated to the folder with the file named iaAHCI.inf.

The problem is that when I get to this point setup asks me to select the manufacturer and model of the device and lists the following:
Intel(R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

I don’t see anything pertaining to 8 series or ICH8M. Should I just select “Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller”?

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing to its author (to save space)

@jcamb :
Although the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 is probably the best AHCI driver for your Intel ICH8M SATA AHCI Controller, it is natively not supported by the original driverpack.
That is why I recommend to install the mod+signed variant of that driver. You can find the download link within the start post of >this< thread. I recommend to install just the “pure” driver from within the Device Manager (the Intel RST Software is only useful for Intel RAID systems).
Don’t forget to import the Win-RAID CA Certificate according to >this< guide, before you start the driver installation.

Hi,

What intel rst driver should i install on msi h110m pro-d to gain better performance compared to generic windows 7 ahci driver