Win 8.1 RTM - first impressions

Today (10/20/2013) I have complete rebuilt my Z77 RAID0 system.
This is what I have done:

1. Backup of the important data of my system partition (just my homebanking data, all other personal data are always outside of my RAID array)
  2. Break of my RAID array and secure erase of both SSDs by using Parted Magic.
  3. Flash of the new BIOS 2104 with updated PCI ROM and EFI modules (done with UBU v1.0.0 PR8)
  4. Recreation of the RAID0 array (stripe size: 64KB) by using the Intel EFI SataDriver v12.7.0.1936
  5. Clean install of Windows 8.1 x64 Final (RTM ISO with slipstreamed GA updates) in UEFI mode onto a 200 GB parttion of the RAID array

Everything worked absolutely smoothly and very fast.

These are my first impressions of the final Win8.1 version:
  • The OS installation was the fastest I have ever seen. I used an USB Flash Drive, which I had prepared with the tool named Rufus (very recommended, especially for UEFI installations!)
  • new: My RAID0 has been detected by the OS Setup without the need of loading an additional Intel RST(e) driver.
  • The additional installation of the Windows Media Center went smoothly and much faster than with previous Win8 or Win8.1 versions.
  • new: My SSDs as members of the RAID array were detected by the OS as Solid State Drives already during the OS installation process (no WEI required).
  • Due to my Microsoft account and SkyDrive all my usual personal settings were already done, when the OS installation was finished (this way a clean OS install is really not a big deal anymore).
  • new: Contrary to the RTM version without GA Updates it was no problem to install .NET 3.5 online.
  • new: The installation and execution of the Intel RST(e) Software works without the need of any additional .NET Framework installation.
  • Only negative point I found until now: The “System” window still doesn’t show the option to run the Windows Experience Index (WEI), but this deficit is not as severe as in previous Win8.1 versions, because WEI is obviously not needed to detect SSDs.

Conclusion:
Until now I am very satisfied with the final version of Windows 8.1. I will not go back to any other Windows Operating System.

I hope, that you will like this OS too.

Regards
Fernando

Same experience here too.
Besides the build-in support for an intel rst uefi raid installation, also my broadcom wifi adapter is running out-of-the-box.
I used a Windows 8.1 full version.

cheers,
Jerome.